Voltage Regulator

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1. Originally 2V but going 4V soon!
Mind if I pick your brain. LOL One of the wires on the voltage regulator of my 71 is almost frayed through. Look like a regular old spade lug would fit these. Would ya see any major problems cutting all those wires and crimping and heat shrinking each lead properly. Maybe providing some strain relief for the cables on the firewall.

Since I'm "trolling" for free advice, (LOL) and in the pay it forward theme this great place seems to have, have you ever used these electrical splices. Strip the wires, twist together and stick a lighter too them. I guess they have some low temp solder and it coats the wires pretty good and heat shrinks the connection all in one clean swoop. I can get the manufacturer from work if you want me to.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Cole

IMG_0683.jpg

Mind if I pick your brain. LOL One of the wires on the voltage regulator of my 71 is almost frayed through. Look like a regular old spade lug would fit these. Would ya see any major problems cutting all those wires and crimping and heat shrinking each lead properly. Maybe providing some strain relief for the cables on the firewall.

No problem there.

Since I'm "trolling" for free advice, (LOL) and in the pay it forward theme this great place seems to have, have you ever used these electrical splices. Strip the wires, twist together and stick a lighter too them. I guess they have some low temp solder and it coats the wires pretty good and heat shrinks the connection all in one clean swoop. I can get the manufacturer from work if you want me to.

I've seen those in catalogs: heat-activated connectors. Personally, I want to ensure good connections before applying heat-shrink; this system relies a bit more on doing things perfectly the first time. I'd rather first solder the wires or crimp them positively, then apply shrink wrap. JMHO.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Cole

Cool then I'm going to plug the voltage regulator leads up directly. Forgot to mention it's frayed right by the pug so repair leaving the plug would take alot more time and knowledge.

Have a great weekend.

Back