Retaining head bolt position

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
I know I've got to keep the push rods, etc. organized to return them to the same position when I put everything back together, but is there a compelling reason to keep the head bolts in the exact same hole? I mean, 90 ft lbs is 90 ft lbs, right?

Also, is there a compelling reason to spend $50+ to buy 16 new head bolts if the ones I pulled appear to be in great condition?

Doc,

I have never been concerned about keeping head bolts in the same order.

Since you are not building a "race" motor, I would also not worry about getting new bolts if the ones you have look good. As you inferred, proper torquing of the bolts is the key for your application.

BT

I always change them , too. But i read that the most factory Ford head bolts are not stretch bolts (in the older engines, newer like the HO have stretch bolts). These are normal bolts that you can reuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always change them , too. But i read that the most factory Ford head bolts are not stretch bolts (in the older engines, newer like the HO have stretch bolts). These are normal bolts that you can reuse.
+1 If your just building a mild street motor etc...I have never replaced mine.Like was said they are not stretch bolts.Just make sure they are clean and lube them before install.If you are going to an aftermarket aluminum head then I would buy a new set of ARP head studs.Just my .02.

Mustang 2.jpg

Reuse the headbolts in any order as long as they are very clean. Follow the head gasket torquing instructions and you will be fine.

I mentioned instructions because some Felpro head gasket instructions are different than factory, I think it was the hi-perf head gaskets

Use some good quality assembly lube on the threads when you torque. I watched a test on TV showing results from different types of lube on threads. Also do not overlook chasing/cleaning the tapped holes in the block. An inexpensive tap or thread chaser is available from any industrial supply house.

Yep, that's why I hang out here instead of other places. You guys share your experiences and rationalel, and I get to decide myself what I'm gonna do. Since budget has now become more important than labor, I'll keep the stock head bolts and if a head gasket blows, I promise to smile and say, "Cool! I get to practice tearing that motor apart again." I also promise to post it here if it happens! :p

Doc

Use some good quality assembly lube on the threads when you torque. I watched a test on TV showing results from different types of lube on threads. Also do not overlook chasing/cleaning the tapped holes in the block. An inexpensive tap or thread chaser is available from any industrial supply house.
I watched that show also. Very interesting on the different lubes and when you double click a torque wrench the difference it makes.

Doc, here is a link you might like;

http://www.ehow.com/how_5572681_reuse-head-bolts.html

be sure to use a thread chaser and not a tap , a tap will try to recut the threads and possibly weaken them , the chaser cleans them.

All Ford torque specs are for stock-type bolts with light engine oil applied to the threads and the underside of the bolt head

That's what I love about this site. Everyday I log on I learn something new. Question what assembly lube do you guys recomend? I have been using engine oil on my head bolts and Lucas assembly lube on my cams.

Jim

ARP on the threads, Some thick red goop from Engine Pro on the bearings and Brad Penn break in oil on the pistons and rings.

In the old days we used a 50-50 mix of ATF and STP, looking back I sure do not know why. :D

Back