ford 429 oil type?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 429 cu. in. C6 Auto
2007 Mustang GT Convertible 2002 Lincoln Continental
2006 Toyota Corolla S Type
2006 Honda Goldwing
So getting ready to fire up my 429 and wanted to change the oil before doing so? Just wondering what the best viscosity for these engines. It is performance built and has less than 1k miles on it. I was thing a 20w50 synthetic. It has an 8qt pan on it!

Both! Weekend Cruiser and Drag Racing!!

So a 10w 30 will work good for these? Wasn't sure that was my original thought to use! Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
From your post it sounds like its a performance rebuild. Then the answer would depend on the parts used and how the clearances were set up.

Ya...that seems a little heavy for regular driving....Any street motor i run 2 ways on oil....10w30 during fall winter and spring...Then if my oil change ends up at the right date, ill switch too a little thicker 10w40 for summer time...But i live in a desert..So we get some hot summers....My cousin has a 500hp trans am with big 8 quart oil pan too..He is a engineer and runs the same oil weights as i do..he knows more about oils than i could dream of...lol...He runs some off brand stuff i never heard of ..But on the back where it shows the codes its aprove for..It blows any other oil out of the water i seen...I started reading oil codes on quarts after he showed me..Some big companies like castol spend more money on advertising than making there oil good enough..lol..Talk about lack of codes on the back of there oil..It just barly good enough to pass..lol

Both! Weekend Cruiser and Drag Racing!!

So a 10w 30 will work good for these? Wasn't sure that was my original thought to use! Thanks!!
You can buy heavier weights but the standard pictures will be 10w30 from Valvoline. You should be ok with 10w30 with a fresh engine and oversized oil pan you want to get that oil through that big block quick. I don't recommend 20w50 in anything other than a engine that will be used for road and track racing with constant high RPMs for extended periods (ex. formula 1 cars).

That oil is being phased out of anything buy racing formulas and unless you are a snake oil used car saleman trying to sell soccer mom a 99 plymoth voyager with 190k miles with a knock, i feel 20w50 will cause more harm than good in the long run.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion and i know some here that swear by it and have had no problems at all but it's my day to day job to know about how different oil performs in different engines. Ashland inc. Parent company of valvoline has me schooling every month about this stuff and it is amazing all the R&D that Valvoline does for thier oils, these guys are evolutionizing the motor oil industry.

I honestly don't know what's in the engine just that it's a ford racing crate motor that was balanced and blued with a roller cam setup in it. I tried to do a compression test but the O rings on my tester are bad. So I'll be trying to get some new ones today! But it's definitely pretty wild! So sounds like a good racing synthetic 10w-30 will suffice! Great a $80 oil change!! :?)

Zinc, a good thing or a bad thing?

I've been using Brad Penn oils for few years. It's the old Kendall brand, you remember the old racing green, they sold the brand and kept producing the oil. It is the same green goo with plenty of zinc. Been using 20w50 and 15w40 so far with my 460 cid.

http://www.penngrade1.com/

Back