Alternator Bolt

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1. Originally 2V but going 4V soon!
Can someone clue me in on what I'm cutting through. Tried PB blaster several times over a few days tapping with a hammer, cheater bar would budge it and impact wrench won't move it. I've grinded the head most the way off just wondering if this is a bolt with a washer or one of those bolts with the washer fixed to it?

Any tips once it comes apart getting it out of the block. Would be a nightmare if it broke off in there.

Thanks

For any additional info/parts on original alternators for our cars i always check with deadnutson.com Those guys have every part and original housings also. Friendly too.

Looks like you've got 'er licked, Cole. Had to remove my alternator today to reinstall the dipstick tube, and was thinking good thoughts for you the whole 46 seconds it took to remove it. :D

Seriously, good job on being patient with that mother. If nothing else, I've learned a lot about patience and thinking while working on this convertible. Or maybe it's just "putting it off until I'm in a better mood to deal with it." :)

Either way, I think this whole project has been good for both me, and the convertible. 'Nuff said.

Keep at it, 'Bro. And keep posting up.

Looks like you've got 'er licked, Cole. Had to remove my alternator today to reinstall the dipstick tube, and was thinking good thoughts for you the whole 46 seconds it took to remove it. :D

Seriously, good job on being patient with that mother. If nothing else, I've learned a lot about patience and thinking while working on this convertible. Or maybe it's just "putting it off until I'm in a better mood to deal with it." :)

Either way, I think this whole project has been good for both me, and the convertible. 'Nuff said.

Keep at it, 'Bro. And keep posting up.
Thanks Doc. I'm going to take the old spacer into work today. I think we have some galvanized pipe about that size. I'll grab a piece and run it by Newt's Exhaust and welding and borrow his chop saw. Got me a killer Stainless steel bolt for the swivel mount and should have a zinc coated long one at work. I'm a 46 second man next time around baby!! Uggghh that didn't sound quite right.

if you get the amk hardware kit for the alternator it comes with a new spacer in addition to the correct bolt hardware. depends how crazy you want to get with original looks :D

Yeah, i was going to say since you saw the correct parts, and deadnuts will overnight the kit, why dont you just order from them? And it looks like you might be in the market for a replacement alt (did the housing crack?) they have the correct part number for your year and model. Just wondering...

IMG_0693[1].jpg

Made a spacer out of some galvanized pipe. It will have to do for now. It's amazing how one thing leads to another. Would have loved to clean up and paint the brackets but need to pull the fan pulley off which will need the radiator pulled off. Clean up up with a wire brush best I can for now.

if you have a stock setup you can get to the fan pulley without pulling the rad, its a little rube goldberg but i've done it a few times. you just need some thin mechanics gloves so you don't butcher your hands on the rad cooling fins.

if you have a fan shroud you basically pull the bolts and lift it part way out, i use a wire hanger bent up and i hang it from underneath the hood, that give you clearance to pop the fan blade bolts and keeps the shroud out of the way. once the bolts comes out i hold the fan in one hand the shroud in the other and lift both out at the same time with one bolt holding the fan and spacer together. once out of the way you have access to the fan pulley and other bolts the fan blocks. with the fan and shroud out of the way you have tons of room to work on the front of the engine. better then dumping coolant. good job on the spacer :D.

if you have a stock setup you can get to the fan pulley without pulling the rad, its a little rube goldberg but i've done it a few times. you just need some thin mechanics gloves so you don't butcher your hands on the rad cooling fins.

if you have a fan shroud you basically pull the bolts and lift it part way out, i use a wire hanger bent up and i hang it from underneath the hood, that give you clearance to pop the fan blade bolts and keeps the shroud out of the way. once the bolts comes out i hold the fan in one hand the shroud in the other and lift both out at the same time with one bolt holding the fan and spacer together. once out of the way you have access to the fan pulley and other bolts the fan blocks. with the fan and shroud out of the way you have tons of room to work on the front of the engine. better then dumping coolant. good job on the spacer :D.
Love it. Will do cause I need to get to the front and work. Thanks a zillion!

Back