Your Restoration Regrets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machlovin

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
What do you guys regret doing or not doing during your restoration?

I would love to learn from others' mistakes :)

I allowed Tim Zepp to work on my car. He damaged my property and took my money and it would cost me more in attorneys fees to try to get my money back and i still wouldnt have my car the way it was before that crook touched my property.

This might be a tough link. I could have reused some of the components that were still working fine (PS pump, alternator, distributor, carb and intake, similar things.... ) but I decided to replace all of them when I rebuilt my 351C 2V. Actually, no regrets so far, I guess.

selling off the original steering wheel (even though it was damaged/deteriorating) and (though I don't know quite how) forgetting to reset the odometer before we put the engine back in/started driving it again

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on starting with a better car... although, I think I'm over that. :D

Now that I've seen the things some of the professional guys around here have done to rebuild/restored their projects, I think I would've completely stripped 'everything' off the car, media blasted, and primed it before putting anything new back onto/into it (instead, I tackled individual sections/project areas as they came).

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not doing as good of a job as i could have and keeping track of parts. Oh yeah, changing plans when I read all the different ideas here and try to fit them in my plans.

-jbojo

+3 start with better car.

Wish I never used stainless steel brake lines.

Wish I never wasted money on 3rd party modifications that looked awesome and were garbage in reality.

Wish I never met all the people that screwed me in the car industry as well.

Trying to save $ by re-using worn out parts by cleaning / repainting only to purchase the proper replacement parts 1 or 2 years later.

Use ONLY OEM Body Panels and trim. If God (or Ford) had wanted you to have a new old ford he'd of made the parts sorta kinda fit. And we all know repro body panels and trim are &%^#
There are some good panels and trim

There are some bad panels and trim

Trick is finding the company that will tell you this VS the ones that just sell all the great parts

Trying to save $ by re-using worn out parts by cleaning / repainting only to purchase the proper replacement parts 1 or 2 years later.

oh that is a good one to!

Back