How to remove the Wiper arms **Update**

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
yesterday, I took the wiper motor off, and stripped it down to bare metal, and painted it satin Black, and I used a matt clear on the aluminum parts, I only ran into an issue with the brushes, all 3 springs flew out in diffrent directions unexpectedly!!! good thing for spare parts laying around the shed!! :D.

and I need to figure out how to reapply the part number on it to compleat it.

I'll post pictures of it tonight.

Back to what I was going to ask.

now that tha looks like new, I want to strip and repaint the wiper arms.

but how do they come off??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info guys, I will try to work on it tomorrow if the rain holds off.

here are the pictures I prommised.

20130507_162136.jpg

20130507_162143.jpg

20130507_162129.jpg

20130507_162150.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, good news and Bad news.

Bad news first, the Drivers side came right off after I pushed in the little spring clip at the bottom, with very little effort, but the Passangers side Broke right off with little to no effort!!! not what I wanted to see!!!! I think the Pot metal part with the splines had a crack in it. I think someone in the past tried taking it off.

Good news, I located the whole linkage assembly on E-bay for $20 + $13 shipping. Buy now. so I grabed it.

others were selling for $50-$130 + shipping

I'll sandbast it, and paint it, now what finish did the linkage have Natural metal, or black?

here is the part I bought

linkage.jpg

inkage1.jpg

linkage2.jpg

fun fact... the wipers are adjustable for summer and winter driving.

the arm that the wiper body sits on has 20-30 degrees of adjustment in it.

For winter you set the arms so the wipers are above the hood line. this keeps them in the sun and melts the ice that sticks them to the glass

for summer you set them so they remain hidden under the hood line..

not like any of us really drive these in the winter. (well i did a few times).

to set the arms you pop off the wipers body like you saw with the little clip. then set them at the angle you want above or below the hood line. if you flip the wiper body over and look at the place the arm attaches it looks like a gear profile with multiple adjustment points.

Modern cars have the same function you grab the wiper arm and tug on it and it will pop into the summer or winter position above or below the hood line.

I took a few Pictures, I can see how they can be adjsted, it looks very easy.

Thanks 72HCODE for the info, this will also help with the wipers Alignment too!!.

20130509_075820.jpg

20130509_075835.jpg

20130509_075846.jpg

20130509_075909.jpg

fun fact... the wipers are adjustable for summer and winter driving.

the arm that the wiper body sits on has 20-30 degrees of adjustment in it.

For winter you set the arms so the wipers are above the hood line. this keeps them in the sun and melts the ice that sticks them to the glass

for summer you set them so they remain hidden under the hood line..

not like any of us really drive these in the winter. (well i did a few times).

to set the arms you pop off the wipers body like you saw with the little clip. then set them at the angle you want above or below the hood line. if you flip the wiper body over and look at the place the arm attaches it looks like a gear profile with multiple adjustment points.

Modern cars have the same function you grab the wiper arm and tug on it and it will pop into the summer or winter position above or below the hood line.
Hey in 1974, 75, 76 and 77- I drove mine in the salt and snow :)

That's probably why it rotted out :mad:

Back