interior paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
Going to re-paint my interior quarter panels that are in pretty sad shape. I tried cleaning them with interior cleaner, but it didn't really get them totally clean. Once again, this is not a trailer queen, I just want it to look presentable. What is a good type of rattle can paint to use? The whole interior is white except the carpet, (which I have yet to buy), and the kick panels, and dash. Can I use a rattle can on the door panels too, or do I need to use a dye? The sail panels and headliner also will need some touch-up, as I cleaned them with no real success. They are not real grungy, but need to look a little better.

1972 fastback sportsroof.

Sem brand is great, i did my foxbody with it came out great . I prepped with simple green and rubbing alcohol

I have used a few different brands over the years ( Dupli-Color, DuPont, SEM) that all seam to work really well.

I have painted some Plastic parts 10+ yrs ago on the Mustang, and they still look good, and this winter I did all of the Dash, and it came out Great!!

its the Prep work, the best I found was the Rubbing alcohol, and then I used Dupli-colors Plastic adhesion promoter first (its like a Primer) on all Plastic parts then I used the color paint Enamel on all Plastic parts, and Dye's for all of the soft flexible parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto on the fact that many of the dyes work well if you clean properly.

I've had good results with Simple Green / Dawn dish soap / etc followed by unscented cleaning alcohol (not rubbing) and then just before shooting, using lacquer thinner to do a final wipe down and softening of the plastic.

BTW: I found some adhesion promoters (like Bulldog) are NOT compatible with lacquer based dyes.

I have used a few different brands over the years ( Dupli-Color, DuPont, SEM) that all seam to work really well.

I have painted some Plastic parts 10+ yrs ago on the Mustang, and they still look good, and this winter I did all of the Dash, and it came out Great!!

its the Prep work, the best I found was the Rubbing alcohol, and then I used Dupli-colors Plastic adhesion promoter first (its like a Primer) on all Plastic parts then I used the color paint Enamel on all Plastic parts, and Dye's for all of the soft flexible parts.
What is the best type enamel rattle can paint finish to use for the interior quarter panels........flat or gloss? I am staying with the white it was originally, but it was so beat up and soiled I couldn't tell which finish it had.

What is the best type enamel rattle can paint finish to use for the interior quarter panels........flat or gloss? I am staying with the white it was originally, but it was so beat up and soiled I couldn't tell which finish it had.
Satin/semi gloss is what I would use

the color is not satin, its almost a Semi-Gloss, but with a minimum gloss.

but as Ray stated above, try the paint in a small section (the inside of the panel is best) and see if you like the look.

the paints I have bought and have had the best luck was Mustangsunlimited.com, they sell DuPont brand paints.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=641867+01

I ordered the SEM color Don at OMS recommended which for mine is Charchol Black Metallic. Should be here today or tomorrow.
Anyone try Krylon Fusion for the interior plastic? I have a can of that in my garage. Otherwise I have the Scott Drake approved "AccuMatch Interior Paint " in metallic black charcoal that I used on my dash.

I am wanting to refresh the window trim, kick panels, rear quarter trim, and seat backs in an original black look.

Thanks!

Going to re-paint my interior quarter panels that are in pretty sad shape. I tried cleaning them with interior cleaner, but it didn't really get them totally clean. Once again, this is not a trailer queen, I just want it to look presentable. What is a good type of rattle can paint to use? The whole interior is white except the carpet, (which I have yet to buy), and the kick panels, and dash. Can I use a rattle can on the door panels too, or do I need to use a dye? The sail panels and headliner also will need some touch-up, as I cleaned them with no real success. They are not real grungy, but need to look a little better.

1972 fastback sportsroof.
on the door panels~got the same problem on my deluxe passenger. Been looking to just that one new the best bet and will look the best for the money. In black but they only come in a pair. If you find them at a swap meet~ i am leary they will be in prestine condition though. By chance if you get the pair from any of the many vendors and do not need the pass side~i will buy it from you. I think by christmas though i am going to have to buy the set and them sell my exitisting drivers at a decent price.

Back