71 Vert build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible
1974 Z28 camaro
1963 chevy C10
1999 F150 lariat 4X4
Ok guys I guess it's time to get working on my 71. This will be a long thread, and updated as work is done (or can afford it). This is a project for me and will only be worked on when my job allows. As some of you know I live off what I make in my own shop and sometimes I get so busy I forget my own name. I would like to take this time to thank all the members on 7173 for the parts I have been gathering (you know who you are). Just want all of you to know I really appreciate everything. I still have to give Don at OMS about 3 months pay for the rest of the parts I will need as I go along, but I'm sure he wont mind.

As for the car story, I had a 68 GT fastback for a while and enjoyed driving it on pretty weekends (gotta love a 4 speed) but unforeseen circumstances arose and I had to part with it (or also known as divorce). I watched ebay, and craigslist in hopes of replacing my beloved (the car) but let me tell you...they are pricey and if you do find a good buy you better get ahold of them in the first 5 minutes or you lose. And then one day my Iphone app popped up a 71 convertible that caught my eye so I emailed the guy and he responded. He told me he bought the car to rebuild but when the guy he had working on it gave him a price for rust repair he decided to cut his loses and buy a better car. The problem with this one is the usual rust areas...floor pans, trunk pan, cowl, and this one has front framerail problems as well. The guy he had working on it already replaced the inner rockers, and cut the pans out (I do one pan at a time) so now I will have to jig it to get it right. At least he already bought all the metal for it so all I have to do is weld them in :D I will post pics of the car as it was in his shop, and update as I go along. Any way that's my story so far.022112183405.jpg022112183501.jpg022112183431.jpgThis is what it looks like nowphoto (12).JPGphoto (13).JPG

You have a 71-73 mustang convertible car finder app for your iPhone? Cool. Where can I get it?

The rest of the post was pretty cool too.

You have a 71-73 mustang convertible car finder app for your iPhone? Cool. Where can I get it?

The rest of the post was pretty cool too.
I set it up through craigslist app, and ebay app. Just tell it what you want in notifications, set sounds, and banner and your done.

All good things take time. Do what you can when you can and keep making plans for the next step. Great to hear you are getting started. If you need help or looking for some additional parts let me know. Sometimes two sets of eyes looking for parts works out well.

What's under the hood? Good luck with the car, I'm sure you are anxious to get started.
I worked out a trade for a 76 lincoln that will be my drivetrain, 460, C6, and 350 gears but I will keep the numbers matching 302, C4 it came with.

All good things take time. Do what you can when you can and keep making plans for the next step. Great to hear you are getting started. If you need help or looking for some additional parts let me know. Sometimes two sets of eyes looking for parts works out well.
Only thing I really need is grill mount extensions cause I will be changing to a mach1 grill, but I'm sure other things will pop up as I get into it. I have been gathering parts for almost a year already. Everything else that's left will be bought from Don at OMS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys...My time has been taken up by a 48 F1, 54 Mercedes 300B, 74 F100, my house remodel, my daughters house, recording a CD, a bass refinish, 2 telecasters, and a partridge in a pear tree :D I am hopeful of getting to work on it soon, but, my best buds mother had to have surgery and looks like she will need to be cared for from now on, so, I may be building on to their house to make room and making everything handicap accessible. May have to wait till cold, white things fall from the sky for an update from me :(

Looks like a healthy project. I finished an equal one on my 71 vert last year. I had to replace the inner front clip, left frame rail, both floors, quarters and cowl. Used two coupes for parts. The new metal was limited to floors and the lh rail. All doable part time. Good luck.

Glad to see you finally get some time with the vert . Now, let's get going, summer will be here soon ! :p

Latest posts

Back