Early 70's Ford Production

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost the whole video is 1972 cars being built on the assembly line. Then it shows a same color 73 LTD being driven on the railroad car. Great video!

Excellent video. I wish we could get more pics and videos of the production process.

I'd bet the UAW union (United Auto Workers) might have a bunch! Anyone have any connections there? Sure might be worth a look.

We got some really good pics posted on some earlier threads. If the following links don't work just use the search box at the upper right of each page and search for "assembly line" without the quotes.

We got some great reponses from an earlier (similar) thread:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-facto...embly+line

and one more:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-old-p...embly+line

Ray

man those must have been the good ole days of when globalization was unheard of and people actually went to jobs. I really enjoy that video for the simple fact that it showed something not often seen these days. work ethic , notice how professional and how attentive they are to the various jobs they had on the line regardless of how small it may be. plus any 70s ford media is just cool

no Robots used for the Weilding, and No masks in the Painting rooms..

I was talking to one of my uncles, he worked in the Lorain Ohio ford plant from the eirly 70's - the 90's then in the Louisville Ky plant in the 90's through the eirly 2Ks.

some of the stories I have heard from him are funny and cool, like when the smokers on the line would drop cigarette butts in the cars, under the carpets, leave snake wrappers ECT...

Iyman,

Try to document as much as you can but change the name to protect the ...

All this is always interesting but try to get some of the good (positive) info too. LOL

Ray

I was talking to one of my uncles, he worked in the Lorain Ohio ford plant from the eirly 70's - the 90's then in the Louisville Ky plant in the 90's through the eirly 2Ks.

some of the stories I have heard from him are funny and cool, like when the smokers on the line would drop cigarette butts in the cars, under the carpets, leave snake wrappers ECT...
What are snake wrappers?

What are snake wrappers?
LOL... "snack wrappers"

I was posting from my phone, I call it Fat fingers...LOL

When I pulled the console out of the 72 mach 1 I have there was a cigarette melted into the carpet where someone in the assembly plant had put it and then someone put the console over it and nailed it down.

David

Cigarette butts? Consider yourselves lucky. Some of those jerks even put rust in my car! They tried to hide it well but eventually we found it... everywhere. :)

Cool video. Imagine what it must have felt like to drive a brand new car off the assembly line.....

But then again, it probably gets dull after the 10th or 11th car.

This was typical of what was being built by the "Big Three" in the 60's and 70's. No laser guided robotics making precision welds and measurements. Made no difference to the line worker if it was a high end car like Cobra Jet Mustang, Boss 351, or a station wagon. They had a production schedule to keep and sometimes just seconds to install their part on an endless line of vehicles that WERE going to be built and out the door that day!

I have friends who have restored Chrysler and GM products and have heard the same horror stories about missing welds, poor fitment of body panels, patch jobs to cover mistakes, etc. Got to remember, none of these cars were considered "Collector" cars then. They got the same attention from the line worker as a 4 door sedan or a pick-up truck. I feel these "Quirks and Things" we find on our cars give them their personality.

Wouldn't it be great to make a trip to that assembly plant lot and make a few selections! Don't want to be greedy, so maybe just 3 or 4 Mach 1's, a set of Sprint cars (Stang, Maverick, Pinto), couple of verts,......

I only found a empty pack of Lucky Strike's under my carpet of my 72 but I found an empty tube of Poly-Grip denture cement under the carpet beneath the center console of my 1966 GT hardtop. I still laugh about that one.

I grew up in an automotive town where my Dad worked for AMC and then Chrysler when they bought them out in the mid-80's. AMC had two assembly plants in town. The lakefront plant bucked the body and painted the car and installed the interior. They would then load them on trucks and truck them 30 blocks to the driveline assembly plany where the driveline and final assembly and QC were done. My Dad told me many a stories about those days.

At the lakefront plant the cars rolled on dollies while going through the paint shop. After a awhile the dollies would get covered in several layers of paint. Guys would chip these layers off and take them and polish them into multi-colored marbles of all of the paint colors. I can just imagine what those looked like back in the 50's. 60's and early 70's with all of the vibrant colors they used.

Back