Transmission rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Unfort, the tranny on the 73 needs to be rebuilt. But does anyone know if you need to also lift the engine a little to disconnect and pull the tranny out?

Unfort the oil pan seal is leaking just a little and I've been holding off having someone do the job because the engine needs to be lifted a tranny pulled to get to the oil pan.

So maybe if the engine does need to be lifted might as well redo the pan.

Let me know and thanks.

Unfort, the tranny on the 73 needs to be rebuilt. But does anyone know if you need to also lift the engine a little to disconnect and pull the tranny out?

Unfort the oil pan seal is leaking just a little and I've been holding off having someone do the job because the engine needs to be lifted a tranny pulled to get to the oil pan.

So maybe if the engine does need to be lifted might as well redo the pan.

Let me know and thanks.
The engine does not need to be lifted but the rear of the engine needs to be supported.

If the oil pan gasket needs attention I would just bite the bullet and pull them both together and fix everything at once.

If your already planning on pulling the tranny for a rebuild and your oil pan needs a new gasket, I would just pull the motor and trans together. Alot easier to do all that work outside the car than under it. You should be able to have the motor and trans on the floor in a matter of 3-4 hours tops! Usually less. So much easier to mate the trans to the motor outside the car too. When i drop mine in I install the headers too so i dont have to fight them in the car. Plus it would be a good time to clean up the engine compartment. Just my opinion. Good Luck.

Back