Headers for a 351C with AC

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
OK, the heads are safely in the care of the kids in the auto shop at school (God help us), and now I need to quickly order some headers for my 351C 1973 convertible.

I'm not gonna race (much) and looks are virtually non-important. I'd like to find a pair on the cheap (less than $200 is a bonus). The MOST IMPORTANT factor is their ability to bolt in and fit around the steering assembly and transmission. Being able to change the spark plugs without pulling the motor is also looked upon with high regard.

Anyone have first hand experience with headers on a 351C in a convertible? What brand/model do you recommend? A hundred years ago, I bolted a pair of $49.95 Blackjack headers onto a stock 350 with Quadrajet (trying to avoid using the C-word here. :) ) and they sounded awesome! So I guess sound is much more important than looks.

Doc

Doc by a quality header I've had Blackjack/cyclone headers they are junk. The left side fit is good but the right side is to close to the starter and trans cooler lines. The heat will burn up your starter and to replace starter you have to remove header. They have thin flange weir they bolt to the head and they WILL leak. With that said I switched to Headman Headers they fit great and never leaked. I've had Hooker Headers on my 351 4V they were good to but on my 351 2V Headman fit the car the best. Mike

I have headmans on my 73 2v. It was tight around the steering box motor mount area. I think I had to put a small dent in it for extra clearance.

It's all coming back to me now.Hammer free fit my a##. I had to get a torch and nip off the corner of my 73 LH motor mount to get them to bolt up.(cheap headmans)

Last edited by a moderator:
i had hooker headers. I would say the fit on hookers is good, I would recommend getting the more expensive coated headers because they rust very fast and look awful.

I have ceramic coated Hooker Super Com headers on my car. I have been able to change spark plugs without any problem. I am also running a FMX transmission.

Mike

I think maybe the captive motor mount on the 73 could be an issue.

I replaced them on the mach1 with autozone mounts. Did someone say the 73 is a different deminsion than 71-72? My fan shroud hits the fan now. Mark

I use a set OBX stainles headers. I found that on Ebay. The left one need litle modifications to fit with power steering and C6 trans. But the quality are great, thik flanks , haevy pipes and good weldings and no rust. But i dont know if the headers available anymore.

I know there are two different engine mounts available for the 71-73 one thik and a thin version. I think you need the thin version (i too in a 72).

OK. I'm 85% sure that I'm going to go with the 6921HKR Hooker headers. HemiKiller described their application in another place. If you know something that I don't, please let me know now, or forever hold your peace. LOL :D:D

Doc

I replaced them on the mach1 with autozone mounts. Did someone say the 73 is a different deminsion than 71-72? My fan shroud hits the fan now. Mark
Yes 73 are captive mounts, 73 has shorter frame brackets since the captive mounts were bigger.

I think I posted some pictures a while back try a search.

Yes 73 are captive mounts, 73 has shorter frame brackets since the captive mounts were bigger.

Thanks. Mark

Just remember you can never go wrong with a good pair of HOOKERS:p
LMAO!!!

i ditto this because when i changed out my original 73 mounts as they were super short frame mounts to my OEM copied 71 429 set.

i was told when i was scavenging for the kit that i didn't need to change frame mounts if it was a 71-72. maybe if i didn't change them the motor would be willing down about 1/2 inch lower in the 73 frame mounts.

Last edited:

+2 The 73's are differant.When I put my first set of Hookers on back in 73,I too had to lop off one corner of the left motor mount.Not enough to weaken or cause any issues.These headers were the origanal Hookers with 1 3/4 primarries and the 3.5 in collectors.They were listed for the 71-72 351C 4V's.I guess Hooker had not caught the motor mount change at the first release of the 73's.The parts book did not even show them to fit the 73's when I bought them.These are the best fit.When I converted my car back to the 351,from the 460,the Hookers I got are the smaller version.I guess these are the Comps.I do not care to much for the smaller tubes and the tight fit around the trans pan of my C6.I am running a B&M deep sump.The colectors seem to turn in towards the pan.They don't touch,I just remember how they went straight back on my first set (longer collectors).Just my preferance.Other than this I have no issues with the Hookers,no blown gaskets etc...no plug issues,and I am running AC and PS,etc....hope that helps!

Mustang 4.jpg

Doc, I hate to throw a wrench in this conversation but what benefits are you looking for with headers. With a full exhaust you do not gain much flow. Headers will leak and allow fumes into the car. Manifolds with the factory H-pipes will work with the 2v manifolds. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back