Ram Air for 351 4V

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 CJ 4 speed HIGHLY Optioned
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; Would like to add Ram Air to my 1973 CJ Mach 1. Since Ram Air was only available on 351 2V engines, does this mean the 2V ram air cleaner will NOT fit the 4 barrel carb on the 351 4V motor?!....Has anyone adapted Ram Air on their 1973 Mach 1 CJ?!, and if so, will you Please share your experience/s?!....Thanks!!!...Mark

From what i know...The 2v ram air will not work on the 4v...I think the 2v ram air cleaner is too small "that is i think"...lol...I know plenty of 73 owners just put on 71-72 ram air set ups on there 73..Same carb on 1973 cj as previous cobrajets...Even boss has the same carb...4300D....No issues that i know of putting a ram air from 71-72 mustangs on a 73 mustang....Only big issues i hear about is use of taller aftermarket manifolds.

There is no 71-2 VS 73 ram air set up

There is small block 351 and big block 429 set ups

The base hole size for all 302 - 351 2 v , 4v 's and 429's were the same

It is a pretty standard size - that is why the after market chrome air cleaner fits almost everything

If it is a stock carb and intake it will probably drop right on

If you still have the EGR plate you may have to remove it.

I have a repro kit for 529.95 or some original set ups too

The originals are just a bit more money :p

Item #3641QXYKIT

71-3 RAM AIR SYSTEM KIT

Ram air system includes metal base complete with snorkel, vacuum assembly and lid, hood plenum with functional vacuum flapper assemblies, seal, vacuum lines, tee, screws, clips, filter, breather element and wing nut. Kit for 351C. Excellent reproduction. Price: $529.95

Last edited by a moderator:

It is a pretty standard size - that is why the after market chrome air cleaner fits almost everything

Item #3641QXYKIT

71-3 RAM AIR SYSTEM KIT

Ram air system includes metal base complete with snorkel, vacuum assembly and lid, hood plenum with functional vacuum flapper assemblies, seal, vacuum lines, tee, screws, clips, filter, breather element and wing nut. Kit for 351C. Excellent reproduction. Price: $529.95
Hello "OMS"; Your's is the kind of reply, I Truly VALUE!!!....Informative & above all...Accurate!!!....I will be contacting you in regards to the possible purchase of a factory Ram Air set-up, just depends how many of my kid's college fund piggy banks's, I have to bust into...as you can read...I have my "priorities" in proper alignment...THANKS!!...Mark

The reason the 73 351C 4V didn't come with ram air is because that year used an EGR plate for emissions making the carb too high to use ram air. You'll need to remove the EGR plate if its installed. I you dont the hood wont close. You can swap in an Edelbrock Performer while you're at it for a couple hp.

Leon

The reason the 73 351C 4V didn't come with ram air is because that year used an EGR plate for emissions making the carb too high to use ram air. You'll need to remove the EGR plate if its installed. I you dont the hood wont close. You can swap in an Edelbrock Performer while you're at it for a couple hp.

Leon
Hello Leon; Please correct me if I'm wrong....But didn't the 1973 Mach 1 351 2V Ram Air car have the EGR plate?. That didn't have obviously a "Hood Closing" problem.....Mark

Leon
Hello Leon; Please correct me if I'm wrong....But didn't the 1973 Mach 1 351 2V Ram Air car have the EGR plate?. That didn't have obviously a "Hood Closing" problem.....Mark
Nope. The 2V was a non performance engine and didn't require EGR thus no plate.

Leon

Item #3641QXYKIT

71-3 RAM AIR SYSTEM KIT

aww i thought they where...reason why i said i think thou...lol...so i take it the egr plate from my q jet will not work on regular set up?...Or is there enough room for it?

I have had several 73 - 351 C 2V cars with EGR's

73CJ - I'll pm you on the ram air

All,

The reason the 351C -4V did not have Ram Air was due to the emissions numbers would not pass the government standards.

mustang7173 :dodgy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve at Perogies has a few NOS ones left

This is a NOS New Original Ford Carburetor Spacer Plate for EGR for a 1973 1974 Ford Mustang & Torino and 1973 1974 Full Size Mercury and Cougar with a 351C 351 Cleveland 2V 2 Barrel and 400M. This is new in the Ford box and is Ford part number D3AZ-9A589-A which was later super ceded by part number D7PZ-9A589-A. These are commonly burned out and are difficult to find. Buyer to pay shipping from zip code 08691. Thank-you for looking. (020413)

This is a NOS New Original Ford Carburetor Spacer Plate for EGR for a 1973 1974 Ford Mustang & Torino and 1973 1974 Full Size Mercury and Cougar with a 351C 351 Cleveland 2V 2 Barrel and 400M. This is new in the Ford box and is Ford part number D3AZ-9A589-A which was later super ceded by part number D7PZ-9A589-A. These are commonly burned out and are difficult to find. Buyer to pay shipping from zip code 08691. Thank-you for looking. (020413)
Hello Don; Seems to be conflicting statements in regards to the EGR & it's installation on various 351 Cleveland motors. My question to you is...Were the same ram air parts used on both 351 2v & 351 4V motors equipped with the carb spacer plate for the EGR?. Hood clearance issues have also been brought into the discussion in regards to the EGR. Was ram air a factory option on 1973 Mach 1 CJ?....THANKS!!!...Mark

Hello Don; Seems to be conflicting statements in regards to the EGR & it's installation on various 351 Cleveland motors. My question to you is...Were the same ram air parts used on both 351 2v & 351 4V motors equipped with the carb spacer plate for the EGR?. Hood clearance issues have also been brought into the discussion in regards to the EGR. Was ram air a factory option on 1973 Mach 1 CJ?....THANKS!!!...Mark
Mark there was only one ram air base for the 351 and one for the 429

Ram air was not available from the factory on 73 4 V motors due to emission problems

It was not on many 72 4V cars either - a few early ones did get it though

The dealer would install what ever you wanted though.

Back