How much does a 351C Block weigh

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
Any idea how much the 351C block weighs with the pistons crank, cam, and bearing still inside? I'd like to bolt a pulley to the rafter above the engine compartment and just yank it out, but I don't want to risk a increase to my homeowners insurance. :huh:

I'm guestimating about 400 lbs, but don't have a clue if I'm even in the ballpark. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Doc

Any idea how much the 351C block weighs with the pistons crank, cam, and bearing still inside? I'd like to bolt a pulley to the rafter above the engine compartment and just yank it out, but I don't want to risk a increase to my homeowners insurance. :huh:

I'm guestimating about 400 lbs, but don't have a clue if I'm even in the ballpark. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Doc
Saw my brother do just that with a fully assembled Cleveland in a Pantera to change the clutch back in the 70's. I would think you'd be OK, maybe run a board across a couple rafters. My engine is in the same condition right now, but I used a engine crane to hold it while I bolted it up to the stand. I would think less than 400lbs since it rolls around without too much effort.

Thanks!

Doc
im thinking with heads no acc. attached around 525 lbs but im going on memory and thats quite short lol.

Doc,

My references show the 351C (fully dressed) tips the scales at around 550 pounds, so I would say that you are probably "on the money" with 400 pounds (or less) for your block, without the heads and intake.

You should be fine!

BT

Doc, my first question is

What size is the board, I've seen garage rafters out of 2X4's ?

Stick built or trusses will make a difference too.

Too risky for me, do you want to risk dropping 400 + pounds into your engine compartment.

Check into renting a hoist

Don

i got a 1 ton harbor freight engine hoist on sale for 120$ 3 years ago. they sell for about 160$ now, do not use the beam in your garage.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-93840.html?utm_term=93840&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase&hft_adv=10063

I added a load leveler to mine so i can adjust the engine angle. was under 60$

1237939401p

for around 200$ you would have all the tools you need.

Complete long block 55o lbs, heads weigh Approx 45 pounds each, intake about 60 exhaust about 20 each.

I purchased a used (once) only, hoist on Craiglist for $75 with a leveler.

Used it about 10 times now and it folds up to store in a corner.

Wood, I would not trust.

Here are the weights

http://www.raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine.html

Thanks, guys, for the info. I'll let you know what I decide, with scary pictures if it comes to that. :p

Doc
Doc,

You can use a rafter, most rafters are 2x8's(I'm a contractor & have designed & built many structures) The key question is the SPAN of the rafter...Heres a caculator that will help

http://www.decks.com/Calculators/JoistSpan.aspx

All you need to do is double up the rafter you plan to use... you only need to double up the width of the car & make sure the the 4x4's are placed under the doubled up rafter..Then use 2 lag bolts every 12 inches....Then get 2-4x4's ..2-cap baseshttp://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/BC.asp#gallery

Run the 4x4's on each side of the car from the floor up to the rafter & screw to the rafter with deck screws. You will have no problem hanging that motor since all the weight will now be transfered to the 4x4's and floor.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott, I was thinking along the same lines. It may be a butt pain to work around but it will work, most underestimate the strength of wood.

Doc, you'll need more than a pulley or come along to pull an engine. Personally use an engine hoist its much easier.

rofl "most underestimate the strength of wood" not gonna touch that one Jeff
A neighbor of mine did the same and all I heard was "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" Booom! The rafter had termites and what do you expect for 70+ year old wood? ouch!Borrow, rent or buy one to be on the safe side.

Good luck bud and stay safe

DJ

Well, considering everything, I think I'll just push her back out of the garage and borrow a hoist from the school. With the troubles I'm having removing the dad blasted tranny cool, I'll need to pull it to swap the cams anyway. Not to mention the trouble with the harmonic balancer removal. Grrr.....:mad:

Doc

Back