Double Radio

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrgeorge1112

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande
351w FMX Transmission
Ok, here is my question. I REALLY want to.keep the look of my classic radio on my '73 Mustang Sport Coupe. I am a purist when it comes to those types of things. It is original and works fine, however, the speakers have been upgraded, so I suppose not entirly a purist. Lol What I am wondering is can I put a new stereo in the glove box and keep my old stereo(working) in the dash and some how switch between them at will? I want a cd player with bluetooth and all those bells and wistles. So if anyone can tell me how to accomplish this or send me a link on how to or even tell me its impossible that would be great.

You can do it but if it were me I would install an A-B selector switch between the speakers just to have manual control. Not sure if the shack will have a splitter for the antenna or you may have to make one. I can't think of anything else conflicting but someone else may chime in with better info.

I do this in classics and hot rods all the time. Having the speakers work with both radios seriously complicates the install, but can be done. I use an infrared repeater so you can use the remote to control all of the functions of the radio with the glove box closed or mounted in an obscure location. It requires modifying the glove box insert to accommodate the depth of the radio. Half of the time the radio ends up in the trunk especially in 30's era Fords. I usually use the Kenwood KDC-X597 for what you are asking to do. It just depends on what media you want to use (tuner,cd,iPod ,sat radio,bluetooth audio,ect).

Ok, here is my question. I REALLY want to.keep the look of my classic radio on my '73 Mustang Sport Coupe. I am a purist when it comes to those types of things. It is original and works fine, however, the speakers have been upgraded, so I suppose not entirly a purist. Lol What I am wondering is can I put a new stereo in the glove box and keep my old stereo(working) in the dash and some how switch between them at will? I want a cd player with bluetooth and all those bells and wistles. So if anyone can tell me how to accomplish this or send me a link on how to or even tell me its impossible that would be great.
Only upgrade i can see that is worth it...Is from barry...You send your original 8 track or radio too him...And he can modifi it so you can use mp3 players threw it and put a few more outs so you can attach any extra things you wanna run.

http://barrys8trackrepair.com/ExternalDevices.html

I've seen some really cool stealthy audio setups. Some have the controls where the passenger vanity mirror wold normally be on the passenger sun visor. I guess you could put on either one (passenger or driver's).

Some have a small video screen that is hooked to a DVD player.

Crazy - all with the original AM or whatever radio still in place.

Really cool.

RAy

This is probably too late to be of help to jrgeorge but it might be good advice to someone else. I did'nt want to cut up my glovebox to hide a CD player so I installed, hid, a 1000 watt power amp in the boot and run the input leads back under the dash and plug an MP3 player in. I also have a portable CD player that plugs in. The sound is pretty good but it's a good amp. When we go to car shows I push the leads back under the heater controls out of sight and put everything else away in the glovebox. I installed a switch in the glovebox to turn the amplifier on so there's nothing extra in sight that shouldn't be there. My car has the am fm 8 track which works perfectly so I use that for the radio.

what about a Marine boat Radio, they have IR and RF remotes, and some also have wired remote controls.

the radios are designed to be placed in a dry hidden location, and controlled from anywhere on the boat.

I was looking for a Schematic for the 1972 Thunderbird 4 channel Radio, so I could modify it to add an Audio input.

I replaced my radio last year to a radio from a 72' T-bird because it had a 4 channel output and looks like the Stock Mustang radio, I have two 3 1/2" in the dash stock location, and two 5 1/4" in the rear, it sounds OK, but I could use more power when the top is down on the highway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did that back in the 70's. But it was more to hide the stereo (with tape player) than anything else. As I recall I ran dual wires to the speakers which was fine as long as you only used one at a time...

Have you checked into the Retrosound or Custom Auto Sound radios themselves? Very authentic-looking, where as stuffing a second stereo into the car would not be ;) :D

Custom Auto Sound USA-630 or USA-66: http://www.casmfg.com/radios.htm Has optional add-on Bluetooth, iPod control, and other features

Retrosound Model 2: http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/321 Built-in Bluetooth, remote, iPod control, etc.

I've heard the Custom Auto Sound stereo is not as good (sound quality-wise) as the Retrosound unit, but having the 'disappearing' tuning dial marker on the LCD is much cooler than the straight black LED face.

It's a tough call.

I want to bump this thread. Does anyone have feedback on the Retrosound or Custom Auto Sound units? In a few weeks we will put the dash back together and while I am messing around in there, it is a good time to go ahead and wire up the radio.

I want to bump this thread. Does anyone have feedback on the Retrosound or Custom Auto Sound units? In a few weeks we will put the dash back together and while I am messing around in there, it is a good time to go ahead and wire up the radio.
I had a Custom Autosound USA-2 Radio with a Chrome Face that I bought from CJPony Parts for $153 for my last 73 coupe. It looked good and the sound was pretty good. I really like the aux input on the front of the radio, just plugged in the phone and had access to all the music I wanted.

Here is the info:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/custom-autosound-usa-2-radio-chrome-face-1967-1973/p/USA2B/

A great look and sound at an awesome price. The USA-2 series radios have no cassette but come with an auxiliary input for iPod, MP3, satellite radio, etc. Classic features with a classic look.

These exciting features include.

- AM-FM Stereo

- 200 watts (4x50)

- Electronic Tuning and Volume Control

- Digital Clock

- 30 Pre-sets (12AM-18FM)

- 4 Channel RCA Pre-outs

- 4 way Fader

- Power Antenna Lead

- Auxiliary input for iPod, MP3, satellite radio, etc

I had a Custom Autosound USA-2 Radio with a Chrome Face that I bought from CJPony Parts for $153 for my last 73 coupe. It looked good and the sound was pretty good. I really like the aux input on the front of the radio, just plugged in the phone and had access to all the music I wanted.

Here is the info:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/custom-autosound-usa-2-radio-chrome-face-1967-1973/p/USA2B/

A great look and sound at an awesome price. The USA-2 series radios have no cassette but come with an auxiliary input for iPod, MP3, satellite radio, etc. Classic features with a classic look.

These exciting features include.

- AM-FM Stereo

- 200 watts (4x50)

- Electronic Tuning and Volume Control

- Digital Clock

- 30 Pre-sets (12AM-18FM)

- 4 Channel RCA Pre-outs

- 4 way Fader

- Power Antenna Lead

- Auxiliary input for iPod, MP3, satellite radio, etc
Thank you for the information. I am leaning toward this model, but wish the knobs fit our model better. I wonder if the orginal knobs can be altered to work.

Back