Door Hinges

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 H code Grande with 4V 72 HO block
Crower,Erson,Fluiddampner,Moroso,ARP,Speed Pro,Melling,Ford Motorsport
1970 F code Sportsroof 351 2v
I just rebuilt the door hinges and I wish I had done them a long time ago.

It's so tough on the paint and latches and strikers it's crazy not to do it.

I bought some pins on eBay and got a few bushings @ the local auto part store.

I have a die grinder and a good mig welder. I have done a lot harder stuff but for some reason I have put off doing it.

What a huge difference. It's one of the few ways you and others can judge the fit and finish and if it's bad enough and the doors not closing all the way it's a safety issue too.

I cut the stamped portion of the pin off and welded a washer as an extra safety measure to retain the pin.

Joe Stang and Baby Bart 009.jpg

Joe Stang and Baby Bart 005.jpg

Item #B9A-5943030-LG-KIT

64-73 DOOR HINGES REBUILD KIT

Four door hinge pins, 4 inches long , cut to fit. Eight bushings. Use to rebuild all four door hinges. Price: $15.95

Will this help with my sagging doors on my 73 convertible? It's so bad that I have to lift up on the passenger side door to open it and when I'm sitting inside I can't open the door from the inside.

I just rebuilt my hinges with Mustang Steve's kit - much stronger than original and you can grease the pins too

Easy job to do if you can weld just remember to mark which way they go before disassembly

Here is the link and there is a how to video on this forum also - http://www.mustangsteve.com/hinge.html

Joe Stang

+1 with OzCoupe72. I installed the same kit. I will do this for my 1971 fastback on day! Should be the last set to install!

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
Will this help with my sagging doors on my 73 convertible?  It's so bad that I have to lift up on the passenger side door to open it and when I'm sitting inside I can't open the door from the inside.
Replacing worn bushings and pins are a start, but you may have more going on than just hinges.   Check that you don't have convertible body sag from floorpan rust underneath.   An indicator of body sag is when the top of the door gap is tight against the quarter panel and the bottom gap is wider than the top.

I just rebuilt my hinges with Mustang Steve's kit - much stronger than original and you can grease the pins too

Easy job to do if you can weld just remember to mark which way they go before disassembly

Here is the link and there is a how to video on this forum also - http://www.mustangsteve.com/hinge.html
+1 - Definitely the way to go if you have some skills and don't ever want to have to do it again.  They also sell completed sets (a bit more expensive, of course).

Back