LTD? radio

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
Just got ahold of an am/fm radio allegedly from a 70's LTD. The number on it is 6A-D6AF-19A241-AA. No luck in cross referencing the numbers to get a wiring diagram. The radio has a 5 wire plug,a one male and 4 female head, a separate blue light wire, and a black wire. I only had a non-working stock am radio in my '72 fastback. How much difficulty is there in adapting this configuration to my Mustang? The radio physically fits perfectly in the bezel.

I am guessing the plug is for the speakers and the fader and the seperate black wire is the hot wire, but I would like to see a diagram first. BTW the radio is a AERONUTRONIC brand with the FORD blue oval logo.

I have just replaced my am one. The black should be your lead on both your radio and your car. The light wire on the car will be blue with like a brownish stripe, runs along side the power one. Then you should have two wires for the speaker. What I did with my radio was picked the front right on the radio and just used the fader balance to move full volume to it. You should be able to pick any of your wires but you have to know which one is your common return. I forget what color it was on my radio I think it was black as well. Then you should be good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
on the 5 wire plug , the one male is the Common to all speakers (-) the 4 female are the (+) to the speakers.

Ford vintage AM/FM radios (late 60's to mid 70's or so)

B+ ....................Yellow

GND .................Chassis

Inst Light .........Light Blue/Red stripe

Ant B+ .............Orange

Speakers

Front Left .........Pink/Green stripe

Front Right .......Pink/Blue stripe

Rear Left ..........Orange/Green stripe

Rear Right ........White/Green stripe

{Black wire connects to all speaker (-) sides}

on the 5 wire plug , the one male is the Common to all speakers (-) the 4 female are the (+) to the speakers.

Speakers

Thanks. Is there a mating plug available for the plug on the radio? I also have a lone black wire coming out of the side corner of the radio I am guessing is the power wire and the other lone wire is the one for the light.

Speakers

If the separate black wire is a power wire, I could buy a pigtail assy, cut off the radio plug, splice in the new plug and do the same with the mating plug and this would take care of the speakers, right?

Speakers

Does this work for the "banana" style plug too? It too has five wires, one black w/white stripes and the others are colored.

And, the black wire is the common for ALL the speakers? The radio's ground is just the fact its bolted to the console??

Sorry for being so late, just trying to figure out this AM/FM radio I got for my Mustang.

Ok this is a few weeks to late for me. I think I put one of these in my 73 vert. I will check out the wiring and see if I got it right have not fired it up yet. It looks just like the AM/FM that came in the cars just has the extra slide bar for fade front to back. Since the PO had already cut up the inside back panels and added speakers I left them.

Hope mine are wired right.

Do the pics look like the one you have? The power feed plugged into the current wire harness and the donor car had both sides of the plug for the speakers.

CAM_0075.JPG

Back