351 2v to 4V conversion help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
I just had my engine rebuilt and installed an Edelbrock Performer Intake with a Holley 4160 with electric choke.

Distributor is stock single vacuum unit but has a Pertronix II installed.

We got the engine started but had some backfire in the carb when trying to restart.

What is the suggested Vacuum connections for this setup?

Someone suggested that I should just leave the distributor advance plugged up. Anyone done this?

Thanks all.

Sounds like your timing is off. Plug the distributor vacuum for setting the initial timing (12 - 14 deg), otherwise connect it to the carb 'ported' vacuum tube. Any other vacuum connections on the carb can be plugged.

I have the same setup on my engine - it's a nice setup.

Ford connected the vac advance to the manfold. On the 2665 intake the hole on to the left of the Edelbrock logo is tapped for the hose fitting. If you choose to use the plug Edelbrock provides for the manifold and instead prefer to go to the 4160 there are both Ported and Manifold fittings. the manifold tube fitting is the one on the front passenger side that sticks out on a 45degree angle from the carb. This also is the fitting you would use with a gauge if you were testing vacuum. All larger one near the back is for PCV...any unused vac tube ports should be capped. note, although Holley claims power valves have "protection" now, they still blow.

Found out what the problem was today.

The distributor was installed one tooth off.

Pulled it out and re-installed and engine starts and runs peeerfect!

Thanks for the help guys!
Congratulations! I forgot that I did the same thing when I installed the new distributor in mine, otherwise I would have suggested it.

Got a video to post yet? :)

Another problem popped up.

We got everything working good now except for the transmission kick down won't work.

I bought the kit from Holley but the rod seems to short.

It's not kicking down when you step on it.

Anyone have any ideas? are ther any modifications that need to be done to get this to work?

I JUST MADE THE ROD A BIT LONGER. HAD TO DO THIS ON MY 70 AND 72 MACH1'S. BOTH HAVE THE EDLEBROCK CARB. MINE GOT HUNG UP ON THE GAS CABLE BRACKET. THOUGH ABOUT REWORKING THE BRACKET BUT WAS EASIER TO MAKE ROD LONGER.

Back