1972 Mach 1 w/ 32 Valve Cobra now w/Coyote

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finmach

Reaction score
My Car
'72 Mach 1. Ford Racing 460+TKO600+Moser M9 4.11 DL
Guys, I promised to show you pictures from the Finnish Roadsport class 1972 Mach 1. It's got Cobra 4.6 liter 281 cid 32 Valve DOHC Modular engine. Shocktowers are unmodified original OEM metal. This gives you a glue how wide our engine bay's actually are. If you look at the pictures you can see how close the engine gets, now thats not an easy task to remove headers without hoisting the engine.

Do you see anything specific at the front & rear fenders, I didn't noticed anything until the owner pointed them out... If you wanna see the rear suspension I can download few pictures more, I was equipped only with my cellcamera so the underside pictures are shady. Yeah the sun was also interfering my pictures...

Front will be probably lowered someday, when the owner gets the inspiration to fabricate new headers with bigger groundclearence. IMO this Mach 1 is one mean looking racer!

Front grill was broken, it'll be switched to new one.

kuva0483_zpsca881080.jpg

kuva0480_zps2894032d.jpg

Take a look at the fender lip.

kuva0486_zps3e242427.jpg

kuva0488_zps4eeb6e3d.jpg

There it is!

kuva0484_zps86a57e18.jpg

-----------

edit: 21st of October 2014, changed the subject to match the current 5.0 Coyote engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picture from the May 2014. 32 valve Cobra engine was replaced with brand spanking new 5.0 Coyote. Bone stock with only modded ecu = changed cam timing made +500 hp on dyno. Cool, and fits between the stock towers.

WP_20140505_009_zps06474e55.jpg

WP_20140505_010_zpsc85dcd1c.jpg

Wooow what a nice car! Cool that it fits between the shocktowers. Are there not any trouble in Finland with getting a car like that on the road with such a modern engine and all the other upgrades? If I was building a car like that, I would run into a lot of trouble to get the car legal for the roads, just totally unfair!

What has been done to the rear suspension? I really like it. Are the fender lips moved longer up in the body to lower the car, if you understand? :)

Wooow what a nice car! Cool that it fits between the shocktowers. Are there not any trouble in Finland with getting a car like that on the road with such a modern engine and all the other upgrades? If I was building a car like that, I would run into a lot of trouble to get the car legal for the roads, just totally unfair!

What has been done to the rear suspension? I really like it. Are the fender lips moved longer up in the body to lower the car, if you understand? :)
Rear suspension is actually from a rally car 4-link, works very nice as far as I am considered. Yes, the fenders has been heavily modified and moved up. IMHO it really looks good & right. The car is slammed, it sits very low. I'll try park my Mach next to it so we can compare them - gonna happend possibly next summer.
I feel your pain according the legality issues, we have many restrictions too but you can manage with them by knowing what you're doing. Friend of mine has a '69 sportsroof with Mustang II front suspension and he's mocking up the whipplecharged 281 cid '03 Cobra engine with tranzilla between the fenders. Aiming to 750-800 hp, should be enough eyecandy and the good ol' Total Performance.

With older cars are very easy and practically free for modifications. There are though a 50 % limit for the parts you can change... sucks a$$. There is a hp/weight ratio, which is 1Kw/7kg = similar to 1hp/11.3 lbs, so for example if you have a 3000 lbs ride your maximum hp is 264.5 hp (3000 lbs / 11.3). Thats the basic rule, so practically you'll need to deliver a dynopapers for the hp of the engine if the inspector has reason to doubt your word... Every single freaking car needs to be inspected annually by inspection authoroties. Inspection costs app. 80 bucks per vehicle. They'll check the brakes, lights and mechanical flaws, rust etc...

Yes that would be cool, because that car has a killer stance, I love it! I hope to get mine that low with some modifications to the suspension. The fenders looks good, it's not easy to see it other wise you look close for it, nice modification!

Sounds like a insane 69 Mustang. How will a guy like him get the car legal for the roads if it has to be inspected?

Your rules sounds very similar to ours. It's just to crazy. You can't even add disc brakes in rear with out getting charged for it! You can only add 20% hp to your engine and every single car have to be inspected here as well. Cars there are over 35 years old only have to be inspected each 8 year, because we only drive them in a few monts, so they don't have to inspected that much as a normal daily driver car. But as it comes to adding bigger brake systems and other "safety" parts, that is nearly impossible, sounds wierd, but yes it is! So many choose to add all the illegal parts after the car has been inspected! Stupid that they don't allow us to add these parts for better safety on the roads. But again like you said, there are many tricks to manage these things and the most of us will use it over and over again, because the most of us finds these rules just stupid!

No shock tower braces??? Is that structurally OK?

Just curious.

Car looks fun for sure.

Ray
Good point Ray. The car has plenty of tricks like the fenders, suspension etc but still it is missing the shock tower brace. I mean I don't use the brace with my stock bodied Mach 1 but this yellow devil is built for road racing. I would be that there is some structural reinforcements in front as the car has a full cage. I'll ask about the brace once I see the owner.

New coyote and the variable cam timing is sweet, now I hope that the Arao Engineering would get their business rolling and get the 32 valve heads for 302/351/429/460/FE's in production with decent price...:D

I was debating whether to put in a coyote. But they said i had to do a mustang 2 front end swap. But now i see i can without the front end swap. The only difference is i wanted to twin turbo it. Do you think i can still run the turbos? or is there not enough room? maybe swapping to a 4.6 4v with twin turbo? And i do not see what you did with the fenders? i am blind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was debating whether to put in a coyote. But they said i had to do a mustang 2 front end swap. But now i see i can without the front end swap. The only difference is i wanted to twin turbo it. Do you think i can still run the turbos? or is there not enough room? maybe swapping to a 4.6 4v with twin turbo? And i do not see what you did with the fenders? i am blind.
Mustang II front would help the swap for sure, now its tight for the headers. My friend made his '73 Mach 1 with the modular 4,6v, he mounted the turbos behind the engine. I have linked few pictures somewhere here too but the topic seems to be deleted or missing.??? Its got the XR-7 suspension with air bags in front.

WP_20140120_019_zpsd5a8ffef.jpg

WP_20140120_005_zpsf358a198.jpg

WP_20140120_002_zps3706107c.jpg

You're not blind with the fender thing... its very nicely done. Front fender lips are raised upwards allmost intact with the angle in the fender. Its been raised app. 1" and its been stretched too. Same thing in rear fender. Car is unbelieavable slammed to the ground. I'll try to get a pic from my Mach1 sitting next to this roadsport racer in next summer to get comparison.

Mustang II front would help the swap for sure, now its tight for the headers. My friend made his '73 Mach 1 with the modular 4,6v, he mounted the turbos behind the engine. I have linked few pictures somewhere here too but the topic seems to be deleted or missing.??? Its got the XR-7 suspension with air bags in front.

WP_20140120_019_zpsd5a8ffef.jpg

WP_20140120_005_zpsf358a198.jpg

WP_20140120_002_zps3706107c.jpg

You're not blind with the fender thing... its very nicely done. Front fender lips are raised upwards allmost intact with the angle in the fender. Its been raised app. 1" and its been stretched too. Same thing in rear fender. Car is unbelieavable slammed to the ground. I'll try to get a pic from my Mach1 sitting next to this roadsport racer in next summer to get comparison.

thatll work. for now can you send more pictures of the coyote swap? i want to see how tight the fitment is. maybe i can mount the turbos on the bottom of the car

Back