Which Cleveland

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kar

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code
I have a 73 Mach 1, 351 4V, Q code that I picked up last fall that I am having a blast working on. Starting out with the basics, new suspension, brakes, fuel system and so on.

I am confused as to what motor I have, it was supposed to be original, but:

Block casting # DOAE-L Date code OG9 (should be June 9, 1970)

Heads Date code OF29 ( should be May 29,1970), Heads do have "4" on the upper corners.

Intake casting # DOAE-9425-L

What model Cleveland do you think I have.

I have a 73 Mach 1, 351 4V, Q code that I picked up last fall that I am having a blast working on. Starting out with the basics, new suspension, brakes, fuel system and so on.

I am confused as to what motor I have, it was supposed to be original, but:

Block casting # DOAE-L Date code OG9 (should be June 9, 1970)

Heads Date code OF29 ( should be May 29,1970), Heads do have "4" on the upper corners.

Intake casting # DOAE-9425-L

What model Cleveland do you think I have.
What model, or what year? June blocks/may heads could have been used on 70 or 71 Mustangs.

Although not "numbers" correct, early year blocks/heads were generally better in regards to metal composition. Additionally, you probably have quench heads and not open chamber. That is generally also a plus.

It sucks you were told original. But, I don't think such a switch a roo would come as a surprise to most here.

Now, if you PAID more money for your car than you would have, and you have written PROOF the seller said all original, and you can convince a judge the car is worth less without the original motor, you may be due some cash. But, probably only if the judge is a member of this site.

Then again, there is always judge judy...

You have an M-code engine that was swapped into your car at some point. It is not the original engine but a more powerful one.

I am fine with the earlier model engine, I am looking to build or rebuild a period correct car. I could care less about a #'s matching, and like the fact that I may have better heads. When I open the hood I want it to look correct (no windsor setting in there), but other than that I just want the best combination I can put together on my budget.

Thanks Guys

What is max height from block to carb for Cleveland motor in a 72 Mustang Convertible?(installing anEdelbrock Performer Air Gap Intake Manifold 5" height in place of an Edelbrock 2 Barrel Intake Manifold w/3.9" height)

Back