New Guy from La Mesa CA

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rgregory

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1, 429CJR, C6, AC, elect windows, tilt leather steering wheel, rear wind defogger, Magnums with satggered tires. Orig a Q car. BLACK/argent.
429 side shot.jpgAfternoon ladies and gents. Just found out how to get on the site after many frustrating tries. I live in La Mesa Ca which is a suburb of San Diego. I own a couple of Mustangs, but the one I cheerish most is the 73 Mach 1 with a 429CJ-R and C6 under the hood. That's what attracted me when I saw an ad in what was called Camera Ads 21 years ago. I had to go see. What I found was a straight car in need of all the normal cosmetic items but there it was, just like it came from the factory except for the schroud which has since been replaced by a 429 correct shroud. The car is a Q code and yes, I have the original motor as well. The donor car was a 71 Ranchero and the guy who bought it from the original owner thought it needed more ponies so he put the 429 in the Mustang. When I heard the story I asked about the Ranchero but it was long gone. After much negotations, I was able to drive it away. The car sat for 10 years util I moved to SD in 2003. That's when the transfomation began. Black with the hockey stick stripe only and the spoiler and air dam left natural (black). The car has won over 40 trophies best of which was Directors pick at a street rod show in Arroyo Grande CA. A few years ago at a Goodguys show in Del Mar (CA), it was selected to receive the Jack Roush Best Ford in a Ford award. Awsome...It's been a hoot to drive, I put on about 2-3000 miles a year going to various shows in So Ca. Longest was the drive to AG, about a 800 mile round trip...When I figure out how to post a picture I'll do so...Thanks for reading my story...Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously I found a way to post a pict of the 429. Now lets see if I can include a pic of the car.

KC Museum.jpg

::welcome:: from Ontario Canada
Thanks Ken...this is going to be a fun site...

Ron

Welcome from Arkansas...great story
Thanks Caspian.

Another part of that story was, after the restoration was finished, I entered a show the following day and won 1st place over all mustangs. That was in 2004. Then drove 40 miles to visit the previous owner who had not seen the car in 11 years. He was floored with what I had done to the car and of course wanted to buy it back...The Mustang was the car he and his wife went on their first date and prom, later married, had children and needed to sell the car to buy a station wagon back in the day...I offered to let him drive the car and he refused. His 15 year old sone asked if that was the car he'd heard so much about from his uncles and questioned why dad sold the car. Lots of pictires and tears from the wife and daughter who were too young to remember the car but heard stories. The reason I went back to see them was to show them I kept my word and would take good care of their car and not sell it...

Beautiful car, love the stance
Thanks for the comment, 15x8 with 4.5 set back from & rear, 235 front, 255's rear...

Obviously I found a way to post a pict of the 429. Now lets see if I can include a pic of the car.
WOW! Very nice!
Thanks Ken, if wife and finances concur, my next is avert to complement the Mach...Here's another of my favorite pics...

Welcome from North Carolina.
Hi Mark,

Amazing how many cars are on the East coast...we don't see many of the big cars on the West coast. I chair a Charity car show for the SD Mustang club every year in Oct. Last year we had 350 cars at "Mustangs by the Bay". 4 years ago I fought to get a 71-73 class and am glad to say we had 8 cars in the class for the past 2 years and growing...

Cars & Coffee 2012.jpg

Wow. Nice car. Great story. It is cool you know the history of the car and how that motor got in there.

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Ray

Welcome, Ron. Great car and great stories. I can tell that you are going to be a valuable addition to this site. You are definitely in the right place. Welcome aboard!
Thanks Doc. Since I'm on a computer all day, I'll be checkin in from time to time. Still finding my way around....Ron

Wow. Nice car. Great story. It is cool you know the history of the car and how that motor got in there.

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Ray
Thanks Ray,

Lot more to the story as it goes but didn't want to bore everyone and over extend my welcome.

Ron

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Ray
Ray,

I see you're from Central Oklahoma, were you able to escape the tornado?

Ron

Hi Ron,

Great story and very nice car. I am in Orange County and recently picked up my 73 Mach from San Diego. Hoping to have on the road next year. Can you tell me when the next Mustangs by the bay event is as I would like to attend.

Jeff

Hi Ron,

Great story and very nice car. I am in Orange County and recently picked up my 73 Mach from San Diego. Hoping to have on the road next year. Can you tell me when the next Mustangs by the bay event is as I would like to attend.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

How did we let a 73 get sold to an Orange Co guy?... The show is always the first Sunday in Oct. This yr Oct 6th. I'm still working on art work for the flier but should be available in a couple of weeks. Thanks for your interest in the show, we get a lot of cars that come down from OC and I always attend the QM show with the black beast...great to hear from the So Cal guys that have the Clydesdale's...Rg

Welcome from coastal Alabama! That's one fine Mach 1. I don't see too many 73s wearing the hockey stripe, however it was an option. Cool.

::welcome:: Hey Ron Mike in Escondido! Good to see you found the forum again. You will like this site allot, everyone here is top notch.:cool: Be per paired to spend allot of time here.:D Hope to see you soon on Grand.

Guys let me tell you Ron's car is very very nice, there is nothing out of place.

Mike

::welcome:: Hey Ron Mike in Escondido! Good to see you found the forum again. You will like this site allot, everyone here is top notch.:cool: Be per paired to spend allot of time here.:D Hope to see you soon on Grand.

Guys let me tell you Ron's car is very very nice, there is nothing out of place.

Mike
Mike,

Good to hear from you...Yeah, I haven't been to Crusin Grand in a month or so, last week took a trip to Frazier Park on Sat for a show and din't need to use the fuel for the trip. Other than that, my mortgage business is startin to heat up...hate that part when makin money so I can afford this beast gets in the way of havin fun...I'll look for ya next time up though...Thanks...Rg

Welcome from coastal Alabama! That's one fine Mach 1. I don't see too many 73s wearing the hockey stripe, however it was an option. Cool.
I like it better than the real deal. I saw a car from CO MANY years ago painted with the scheme, leavin the spoiler and air dam the same color and liked it. I didn't even own the car at the time just thought it looked clean...so when I had the opp, I stole the idea. Don't know it works with any other color but black and haven't see any other car with the same concept...Appreciate the comments...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back