New Guy from La Mesa CA

rgregory

Welcome from northern California.

mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your greeting, everyone is making me feel right at home...My brother lived in Sunnyvale and taught at Foster City for 30 years until his passing 13 years ago...visited the area quite often and have relatives still living in the area.

Keep October 6, 2013 open for our "Mustangs by the Bay" show. Make a short vacation of it. Nice hotel rooms in Pld Town SD for $59 a night... Come to the show in a park, on the grass with water all around...

Yea I guess I'm guilty of pushin our charity event...see if I can come up with photo's of the park...

1642286888_MBTBshowEmbarcareroBayPark080.thumb.jpg.261d77323d96be5e56a82a540d161fff.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice car, and welcome from Panama City, FL. I grew up in El Cajon/La Mesa and went to Monte Vista HS. I knew La Mesa very well!

Hello Panama City...

That's a long way to go to get away from the traffic of SD...I moved here 10 years ago, it's OK but I like the seasons which SD doesn't have...and a trout stream which SD doesn't have and it's a long way to go skiing...actually everything is a long way from here...So where's your Mustang?

Ron

Ron you posted the wrong class for this group!:P Just kidding you will find all mustangs get respect here.:cool:

Mike, seeing how I was working the show I got to visit my car (which you can see the hood) at the far right of the picture, once and that was to dust it off...It still won the class.... http://www.7173mustangs.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

I only had one photo of that class and no one had arrived but me, see below...

1237662672_MBTBshowEmbarcareroBayPark2012.thumb.jpg.55ed433391bb2d58db1d6939dbfd344e.jpg

Hi Ron,

A belated ::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

Been in your area last year (and met Mike from Escondido).

Your car looks great. I like how you skipped the part of the stripe that goes under the side maker lamp. I might steel that idea if I ever decided to go the hockey stripe route.

Nice clean engine bay. ::goodjob::

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Hi Ron,

A belated ::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

Been in your area last year (and met Mike from Escondido).

Your car looks great. I like how you skipped the part of the stripe that goes under the side maker lamp. I might steel that idea if I ever decided to go the hockey stripe route.

Nice clean engine bay. ::goodjob::

Greetings from Luxembourg,

Yeah, Mike's a kick, Thanks for the comments, I stole the idea of leavin off the lower stripe and body color spoilers from a car in Mustang Monthly I saw 20+ years ago...My thought was to leave it uncluttered. Even the rear stripe is different and left off the Mach 1 behind the front wheel, replacing it with a small 429 badge. check out the pic..

Ron

1480725001_Leescarandmustangrun010.thumb.jpg.91c5046a83294dccc5ad64cf81a4e3d0.jpg

Well mine is extremely uncluttered. :-) but I think it's time to change something. Not sure yet what it's gonna be though.

I thought about copying the 69 Boss302 C-stripe to our size.

I did not like the idea of the typical 71-72 hickey stripe because I don't wanna do the lower valance blackout and then the stripe simply hangs under the side marker light with no connection to anything. But yours is a good idea. That would a lid that issue.

By the way, thanks for the close up if the trunk. On your previous pic I could make out the "mach1" but not the "four twenty nine". Good idea!

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Ray,

I see you're from Central Oklahoma, were you able to escape the tornado?

Ron

Ron,

Yes - fortunately it missed me by about 3 miles. WAY TOO CLOSE!

I have quite a few friends that have lost almost everything. This is a traumatic loss for this area. What has really been amazing --- the outpuring of support and help that the rest of the country is providing. I know many of us in Oklahoma have helped others after hurricanes, wilfires and floods. For now, I 'm just trying to help folks here where I can. Thanks for asking.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Well mine is extremely uncluttered. :-) but I think it's time to change something. Not sure yet what it's gonna be though.

I thought about copying the 69 Boss302 C-stripe to our size.

I did not like the idea of the typical 71-72 hickey stripe because I don't wanna do the lower valance blackout and then the stripe simply hangs under the side marker light with no connection to anything. But yours is a good idea. That would a lid that issue.

By the way, thanks for the course up if the trunk. On your previous pic I could make out the "mach1" but not the "four twenty nine". Good idea!

Maybe just a couple of fine multi-color pin stripes above/below the side body seam? In your case, mostly because of the color, uncluttered is good. Your reasoning about the lower stripe is exactly why I didn't add the lower color AND, I didn't want the spoiler and front air dam to look added on by making it pewter....just my .02 cents...

Ray,

I see you're from Central Oklahoma, were you able to escape the tornado?

Ron

Ron,

Yes - fortunately it missed me by about 3 miles. WAY TOO CLOSE!

I have quite a few friends that have lost almost everything. This is a traumatic loss for this area. What has really been amazing --- the outpuring of support and help that the rest of the country is providing. I know many of us in Oklahoma have helped others after hurricanes, wilfires and floods. For now, I 'm just trying to help folks here where I can. Thanks for asking.

Ray

That's good, livin in CA can't imagine the devastation other than the pictures. My oldest daughters mother was visiting family and it missed them by quite a bit but was still concerned...Bless you man for helpin out where you can...

1240713816_Picturesfromchip212.thumb.jpg.523b63554aeeca3f9eb645f7e97f9f4a.jpg

Very nice car!

Thanks for the comment. I drove it in a Flag Day parade today. Really apprehensive cause it's not a convertible but the comments were unbelievable...(smile)....Rg

well hello person I have never met before,lol

Glad you joined up ron......I think we need to get don,sandy,chuck, and the 2 new mach owners that just joined the club recently on here too,lol

...the more the merrier really

91LX_Sig.jpg

Welcome aboard from Wisconsin. It looks awesome, very cool Mach 1.

Hi Jason...

Never been in your neck of the woods. I imagine you're liken this time of year as you have to put the Mach up in the winter...Fortunately I can drive mine 12 months out of the year.

Rg

::welcome:: from Maine.Nice car! Glad to see another 73 with a big block here.I love the hand lettering on the trunk,very cool.:D

1_11_01_14_4_00_47.jpeg

460 , Edelbrock Performer carb. + intake , 204 / 214 cam , Pertronix Flamethrower 2 billet dizzy + coil , Crites long tubes , C6 .

::welcome:: from Maine.Nice car! Glad to see another 73 with a big block here.I love the hand lettering on the trunk,very cool.:D

Kermit,

I'm assuming you have a BB in your car? When the Four Twenty Nine was put on the back, some one standing around said it looked off balance, therefore the Mach 1 on the right side. Did the same thing on the hood for the Ram Air. I'll see if I can find a pic. Rg

2054881013_Leescarandmustangrun023.thumb.jpg.0e40ed112d280538fe726486ddc87bc4.jpg

Kermit,

I'm assuming you have a BB in your car? When the Four Twenty Nine was put on the back, some one standing around said it looked off balance, therefore the Mach 1 on the right side. Did the same thing on the hood for the Ram Air. I'll see if I can find a pic. Rg

Yes,460 & C6.I think the hand lettering is a very nice touch,I don't think I"ve seen anyone else do it,but I think it looks really cool!:D

1_11_01_14_4_00_47.jpeg

460 , Edelbrock Performer carb. + intake , 204 / 214 cam , Pertronix Flamethrower 2 billet dizzy + coil , Crites long tubes , C6 .

Kermit,

Yes,460 & C6.I think the hand lettering is a very nice touch,I don't think I"ve seen anyone else do it,but I think it looks really cool!:D

Geeezzz D, didn't pick up on the 460 in your sign on name...I just care for the block letters, appreciate the comments...rg

Hi Jason...

Never been in your neck of the woods. I imagine you're liken this time of year as you have to put the Mach up in the winter...Fortunately I can drive mine 12 months out of the year.

Rg

Yeah this time of the year is pretty nice. I have been slacking this year and haven't done a lot of work to the mustang, I need to get on it.

Jayson

504x177https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4398/36319488731_8f2a376549_z.jpg[/img]

73 Mach 1 Mustang

89 Dodge Shadow ES

94 Jeep Wrangler

Hi Jason...

Rg

Yeah this time of the year is pretty nice. I have been slacking this year and haven't done a lot of work to the mustang, I need to get on it.

Jayson,

Understand, I have a few things I've put off as well. I'm in the mortgage business and that's been pretty slow until recently which doesn't free up a lot of dough to work on the car...Don't know what you see in your area, but the 71-73 cars seem to be making a resurgence...Ron

Welcome from Central Virginia! Really clean ride I love the classic look until you get close to se the personal touches. Starting to see more 73's around as well even though there were less made of the 3 years. Keep up the work Ron.

-Daniel

Welcome from Central Virginia! Really clean ride I love the classic look until you get close to se the personal touches. Starting to see more 73's around as well even though there were less made of the 3 years. Keep up the work Ron.

-Daniel

Daniel...

Especially with the convertibles...much lower number in 72...Sorry you don't like the personal touches but I didn't want the cookie cutter look that's why the spoilers are body color, put the hockey stick on (the 73 stripe is UGLY) IMO, and left off the lower body color and the big Mach 1 letters behind the front fender wells...oh, and the tail stripe is from a 72...But appreciate you lookin...I'm surprised how many of the big cars are on the East Coast as opposed to the West coast. Just don't see too many in Ca....Ron

-Daniel

Daniel...

Especially with the convertibles...much lower number in 72...Sorry you don't like the personal touches but I didn't want the cookie cutter look that's why the spoilers are body color, put the hockey stick on (the 73 stripe is UGLY) IMO, and left off the lower body color and the big Mach 1 letters behind the front fender wells...oh, and the tail stripe is from a 72...But appreciate you lookin...I'm surprised how many of the big cars are on the East Coast as opposed to the West coast. Just don't see too many in Ca....Ron

Whoa Ron, Maybe my wording was wrong. I LOVE the personal touches, I plan on doing many to my 73 Coupe, I was even considering the hockey stick stripe too and i may borrow your idea of leaving the stripe cutoff at the marker light!

In context to my post I was describing how it looks classic like going down the highway but if I saw your car in the parking lot and got closer I really dig the personal touches you wouldn't catch at a glance!

-Daniel

Daniel...

Whoa Ron, Maybe my wording was wrong. I LOVE the personal touches, I plan on doing many to my 73 Coupe, I was even considering the hockey stick stripe too and i may borrow your idea of leaving the stripe cutoff at the marker light!

In context to my post I was describing how it looks classic like going down the highway but if I saw your car in the parking lot and got closer I really dig the personal touches you wouldn't catch at a glance!

Daniel,

My appologies, I probably read your post wrong....No harm no foul...Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery anyone can give. Let's see more of the coupe... The things I did to the car, other than the lettering, were taken from a picture I saw of a car from CO. 25 years ago...Long before I bought this car...That's the great thing about forums like this, you get to meet guys with a similar interest in these big cars and to share idea's. I'll get your take on something I was thinking of doing. Re: the 429 "badge" on the front fenders behind the tire; NPD has 1" tall chorme seperate numbers that I thought of replacing the "badge" with those numbers, similar to the GTO letters on Pontiac. Didn't want it to look gaudy if you know what I mean...They're not expensive and if they didn't look right I could go back to the "badge" look....

Ron....

Daniel...

Daniel,

My appologies, I probably read your post wrong....No harm no foul...Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery anyone can give. Let's see more of the coupe... The things I did to the car, other than the lettering, were taken from a picture I saw of a car from CO. 25 years ago...Long before I bought this car...That's the great thing about forums like this, you get to meet guys with a similar interest in these big cars and to share idea's. I'll get your take on something I was thinking of doing. Re: the 429 "badge" on the front fenders behind the tire; NPD has 1" tall chorme seperate numbers that I thought of replacing the "badge" with those numbers, similar to the GTO letters on Pontiac. Didn't want it to look gaudy if you know what I mean...They're not expensive and if they didn't look right I could go back to the "badge" look....

Ron....

Ron,

I think what your looking for is a problem us personalizers that walk a fine line avoiding to step over to the "to gaudy" side. I think If you find badges that flow with your lettering style on the decklid it will look pretty good. If you can do it and see how it looks without damaging your paint and can go back then go for it and see.

I have to agree that the "old school" 429 badge doesn't quite jive with the "new school" lettering you have. I say try it out and see, but look for lettering that isnt blocky and flows well with your deck lid lettering.