BOSS 302 ENGINE

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILLIAMPARDELL

Reaction score
My Car
72 MACH1
35000 MILES
HI GUYS GOT A QUESTION ABOUT A BOSS 302 ENGINE. I HAVE A GUY WHO SAYSHE HAS ONE FOR SALE MOTOR AND TRANS. HOW DO I KNOW IF IT IS REAL OR NOT. ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE CASTING NUMBERS ON BLOCK/TRANS. HE SAYS IT CAME OUT OF A 84 OR SOMETHING MUSTANG. BUT THE MOTOR IS A 70??? PLESE HELP. I WOULD PUT THIS IN MY 55 FAIRLANE AND MAKE IT A STREET ROD.

BILL

HI GUYS GOT A QUESTION ABOUT A BOSS 302 ENGINE. I HAVE A GUY WHO SAYSHE HAS ONE FOR SALE MOTOR AND TRANS. HOW DO I KNOW IF IT IS REAL OR NOT. ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE CASTING NUMBERS ON BLOCK/TRANS. HE SAYS IT CAME OUT OF A 84 OR SOMETHING MUSTANG. BUT THE MOTOR IS A 70??? PLESE HELP. I WOULD PUT THIS IN MY 55 FAIRLANE AND MAKE IT A STREET ROD.

BILL
http://www.boss302.com/block.htm

Yes you'll learn a lot about the motors on that site referenced in the previous posting. If it is the read deal - you might advertise the motor and re-unite it with the car it came from. Or even sell it to a Boss 302 owner looking for an actual Boss 302 motor for his non-matching car setup. Make a few bucks for handling the deal and then have the money to buy something trick and more efficient for your rod.

Just an idea.

Ray

Yes you'll learn a lot about the motors on that site referenced in the previous posting. If it is the read deal - you might advertise the motor and re-unite it with the car it came from. Or even sell it to a Boss 302 owner looking for an actual Boss 302 motor for his non-matching car setup. Make a few bucks for handling the deal and then have the money to buy something trick and more efficient for your rod.

Just an idea.

Ray
+1. Good advice! ;)

They are not a good cruise / street engine

They want / need high RPM's to run well

You could modify it to make it a steet motor though

Last edited by a moderator:
The original car is the value, less so for the engines. But, original car with original engine is gold mine. Real engine with no car isnt much value. You can make a 302 with Cleveland heads in a phone call to Ford Racing in 30 seconds.

+ 1 with Brad

Boss parts

block

heads

distributor

carb

exhaust manifolds

fan blade

intake

pullies

dip stick

It is all ZX specific and expensive

complete engine 5 - 10 depending on year and correct parts

the 2 real BOSS 302's that i have seen in person were in race shops having work done...the owners said they were always run hard and had engine parts replaced frequently. I am guessing Parnelli Jones had more than 1 engine in his race car over the course of a season? More than 2 or 3 ? OF COURSE an original intact car is very valuable...but if i take a 1970 boss 302 engine and stick it in my 72 the resulting car will be less valuable than an original 1970 BOSS 302 car with a non-numbers matching Cleavor installed.

The original car is the value, less so for the engines. But, original car with original engine is gold mine. Real engine with no car isnt much value. You can make a 302 with Cleveland heads in a phone call to Ford Racing in 30 seconds.

the 2 real BOSS 302's that i have seen in person were in race shops having work done...the owners said they were always run hard and had engine parts replaced frequently. I am guessing Parnelli Jones had more than 1 engine in his race car over the course of a season? More than 2 or 3 ? OF COURSE an original intact car is very valuable...but if i take a 1970 boss 302 engine and stick it in my 72 the resulting car will be less valuable than an original 1970 BOSS 302 car with a non-numbers matching Cleavor installed.

Sir, the first part of your last post here, contradicts your motor has little value statement

"the owners said they were always run hard and had engine parts replaced frequently"

If one of these owners wants to put the car back together right - they will pay a premium for correct parts.

As to the original posters question.

The man is asking about the motor only

Of course it is worth more in a numbers matching Boss

He asked about installing it in a street rod.

Several members have said it is worth good money

He might be able to make some money on it and get a better street rod motor - Boss motors are not good on the street.

You come along and say the motor has little value out of the car

I disagree.

Original parts with that little ZX on them are golden.
Let's see how much we really disagree? my initial comment was "original car is the value, less so for the engine." From your comment i guess you don't totally disagree. Then i posted "real engine with no car isn't much value" which seems to be the post that you have an issue with. So how about this; IF it is a real engine that has no damage and it was removed from a car, for whatever reason, it isn't much value compared to the car or an intact car/engine. And since "much" in this case is a relative term and a matter of opinion you cannot say that i'm completely wrong. If a Boss 302 sells for 100k last year (http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=359.1&aid=464) as a complete original car, is a stand alone engine worth $50k? $20k? even $10K? if so that would be less than 10% of the value of the engine with car. And you just posted that the value is primarily to an owner of an original Boss 302, not as an engine to be installed in a different car! He didn't say he was looking to flip the engine either. So, I didn't write clearly. My fault. i'll try to be more clear in the future "when i came along" and post something.

OK thanks

Have a nice day

HEY GUYS THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT. I KNOW WHAT IT IS WORTH AS A COMPLEATE CAR. AND FIGURE THE MOTOR AND TRANS IS WORTH MAYBE 5 TO 10 K IF IT IS THE REAL DEAL. THE GUYS NEEDS MONEY AND HAS HAD THE MOTOR IN GARAGE FOR A FEW YEARS. HE IS LOOKING FOR A 1000.00 BUCKS FOR IT. WAS SUPPOSED TO GO LOOK THIS WEEKEND BUT THE GUY HAD SOMETHING COME UP. NEXT WEEKEND I CAN MAYBE CHECK IT OUT. I REALLY DONT THINK IT IS THE REAL THING OR MAYBE THE GUY JUST DOSENT KNOW WHAT HE HAS. ANYWAY IT IS WORTH A LOOKSEE. MY WIFE SAYS BUY IT AND PUT IT IN THE 70 MACH1 BUT THEN IT IS JUST ANOTHER PIECED TOGTHER CAR. MY MACHS ARE ALL ORGINAL EXCEPT FOR SHEET METAL. AND I WANT TO KEEP THEM THAT WAY. IF ITS REAL MAYBE JUST BUY IT TO HANG ON TO.

HEY GUYS THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT. I KNOW WHAT IT IS WORTH AS A COMPLEATE CAR. AND FIGURE THE MOTOR AND TRANS IS WORTH MAYBE 5 TO 10 K IF IT IS THE REAL DEAL. THE GUYS NEEDS MONEY AND HAS HAD THE MOTOR IN GARAGE FOR A FEW YEARS. HE IS LOOKING FOR A 1000.00 BUCKS FOR IT. WAS SUPPOSED TO GO LOOK THIS WEEKEND BUT THE GUY HAD SOMETHING COME UP. NEXT WEEKEND I CAN MAYBE CHECK IT OUT. I REALLY DONT THINK IT IS THE REAL THING OR MAYBE THE GUY JUST DOSENT KNOW WHAT HE HAS. ANYWAY IT IS WORTH A LOOKSEE. MY WIFE SAYS BUY IT AND PUT IT IN THE 70 MACH1 BUT THEN IT IS JUST ANOTHER PIECED TOGTHER CAR. MY MACHS ARE ALL ORGINAL EXCEPT FOR SHEET METAL. AND I WANT TO KEEP THEM THAT WAY. IF ITS REAL MAYBE JUST BUY IT TO HANG ON TO.
For thousand bucks a real Boss 302 would be a heck of a deal. If it's a real one check if there's a stamped VIN code at the deck of the block, I've seen few 429 CJ engines with stamped VIN. If you can find a car owner which got the same VIN as the engine (if it's a real deal), then there will be a vin vin situation for you and for the car owner. He gets numbers matching Boss 302 and you can score some extra Dollars from the engine. If you want to keep the engine, get a '29-'31 Ford Coupe, remove the stinking chebby smallblock and replace it with Ford glory!

You can get contacted with Boss people from here:

http://www.boss302.com/menu.htm

If it is real RUN GO GET IT, give him the grand - don't haggle

The motor is worth 5 - 10

Good luck

Back