1973 302 2bbl 3speed Manual trans and A/C

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have one that came with SOME of those options as original equipment, i.e. 302 2V with three speed (no AC).

When I received it, the engine and transmission were gone, BUT according to one of the former owners, he did have problems with the car "stopping on him."

It now has a 472 (460 bored .060 over), C6 and 9' 3:50 Traction Loc:).

I would guess this is no "real" help.

BT

Well, I have one that came with SOME of those options as original equipment, i.e. 302 2V with three speed (no AC).

When I received it, the engine and transmission were gone, BUT according to one of the former owners, he did have problems with the car "stopping on him."

It now has a 472 (460 bored .060 over), C6 and 9' 3:50 Traction Loc:).

I would guess this is no "real" help.

BT
Unless you're still using the original Engine feed harnesses and they look like this:

Plugs coming out of the firewall:

4plug (from male to females)

Male: Red/White

Female: White/Red

Female: 2 wires on this port= both are Red/Gray

Female: Red/White Dots

So 5 wires total on this 4plug

3plug (from male to female)

Male: White/Black

Female: Black/ Green Dots

Female: Brown/ Orange

Single Wire

Brown

Need to know where each wire goes on the engine block and A/C. Schematic was no good and the company that makes harnesses for our car doesn't have the correct harness for my application :(

DJ

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 73 vert with a 302 4 bbl and 3 spd...I'll take a look at my car but will take a few days as its in storage right now. I have a wiring diagram I got off of another 71-73 owner if that helps.

Ken

I have a 73 vert with a 302 4 bbl and 3 spd...I'll take a look at my car but will take a few days as its in storage right now. I have a wiring diagram I got off of another 71-73 owner if that helps.

Ken
Hi Ken,

If it's the same as the wiring diagrams here, then it may not help for what I'm looking for. I do better with pictures :D Look at my wiring and the arrangement on the plugs and then compare them to yours and hopefully you have the same and can tell me where each wire goes to.

Thanks!

I can check for you in the morning ok. My car has a C4 but the wiring should be the same
Thanks blue73 and can't wait till tomorrow! Hopefully we have the same harnesses and I can finally complete the engine wiring portion of my build.

Thanks again guys!

DJ

No, I had an Electrician change my harness to match that of the 1971 429CJ cars. Actually did a total rewiring to include adding wiring for the Tachometer.

BT

I took a look this morning here is how it is set up on mine

4 Plug

Red/White- appears to go to a sending unit on the front of the intake manifold

White/red- on mine is white and orange goes to a sending unit above the oil filter

Red/gray- not sure which one but one goes to the coil

Red/white dots- Ends with a plug that is not attached to anything at the front of the intake manifold.

3 Plug goes to 2 plug

White/Black- goes to the electric choke

Black/Green dots- on mine there kind of squares goes to the AC compressor

Brown/Orange- goes to nothing

Single Brown- Not really sure I found a single wire and couldn't tell if it was brown or black. It went somewhere under the trans tunnel to where I can't really see.

Hopefully this will help you out some. If you need anything else just ask

4 Plug

White/red- on mine is white and orange goes to a sending unit above the oil filter

Red/white dots- Ends with a plug that is not attached to anything at the front of the intake manifold.

3 Plug goes to 2 plug

Single Brown- Not really sure I found a single wire and couldn't tell if it was brown or black. It went somewhere under the trans tunnel to where I can't really see.

Jon,

We've got the same setup and this helps me out a whole lot, many thanks bud! The single brown wire is for the automatic shifter bezel lighting so that you can see Park, Drive, Reverse etc... at night. I've posted on other websites and got 0 replies. I call companies who makes harnesses and they don't make harnesses for my application or have color codes for me, so this is a huge relief. You're the best, thanks again!

4 Plug

3 Plug goes to 2 plug

Hi Jon,

On the 4 plug, the Red/white dots you mentioned it having a plug at the end of it. Can you tell me if it's a 90 deg. plug like the kind found on the temp sensors and also, each plug has a different color. Can you please give me the colors of the plugs on each sensor?

Thanks again,

DJ

DJ

If the snow we are expecting isnt too bad I should be able to get some pics tomorrow morning and post them for you. Otherwise I might have to wait a couple of days.

Ken
Hey Ken that would be cool, thanks!

Jon,

Since you've got A/C, then your 2100 Carb should have a throttle up solenoid and one of these wires goes to it. Can you check to see which wire it is?

Thanks again :)

DJ

Jon,

Since you've got A/C, then your 2100 Carb should have a throttle up solenoid and one of these wires goes to it. Can you check to see which wire it is?

DJ
I took off the 2V carb awhile ago so i'm not sure which wire it could be. But I can get my old carb down and try and figure it out tomorrow.

4 Plug

3 Plug goes to 2 plug

Hi Jon,

On the 4 plug, the Red/white dots you mentioned it having a plug at the end of it. Can you tell me if it's a 90 deg. plug like the kind found on the temp sensors and also, each plug has a different color. Can you please give me the colors of the plugs on each sensor?

Thanks again
Hey DJ

The plug at the end of it isn't a 90 deg. Its round maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of inch long and about 1/4 wide with a slit in the middle.

Jon,

DJ
I took off the 2V carb awhile ago so i'm not sure which wire it could be. But I can get my old carb down and try and figure it out tomorrow.

4 Plug

3 Plug goes to 2 plug

Hi Jon,

Thanks again
Hey DJ

The plug at the end of it isn't a 90 deg. Its round maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of inch long and about 1/4 wide with a slit in the middle.
Can it reach the alternator? Hmmmm, I can't picture what this plug looks like. I'll wait for the pics and hopefully we can work out the throttle solenoid and unused wire.

Thanks again!

Update: This is for anyone that has a 1973 Mustang 302 2bbl engine w/ Electric Choke and A/C and doesn't know where the wires on the engine feed harness go. Or, like me, picked up a 73 that didn't have the engine feed harness. I will decode the engine feed harness and this is all thanks to Jon aka Blue73. Be advised that this engine feed harness has a 4 and 3 plug.

On the 4plug shown.

The top red wire w/ yellow hash marks = Throttle Solenoid on the Carburetor for A/C equiped stangs.

Next red / gray = ignition coil

Next White / red = Oil Pressure

Last Red / White = Temperature gauge

dvmr8g.jpg

On the 3plug

Top wire is black / orange hash = not being used

Middle thicker gauge wire is Black / Green Hash = A/C Compressor

Last wire is White / Black wire = Electric Choke

117tt2v.jpg

Thanks again Blue73!

Hey DJ

Here are the pictures of the end of the connector and the wire for the carb.

The only thing is is I don't think this is my carb but the connector seems right even though it is broken. The only other carb that had the throttle up on it had a standard male type plug on it. Hope these help.IMG_0199.JPGIMG_0198.JPG

Hey DJ

Here are the pictures of the end of the connector and the wire for the carb.

The only thing is is I don't think this is my carb but the connector seems right even though it is broken. The only other carb that had the throttle up on it had a standard male type plug on it. Hope these help.
That's just grrrreat! Thanks again Jon!

DJ

Back