Project Smoothing the Engine Bay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71_Stang

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang - project car
Well, I've been working on my engine bay for what seems like forever (but really several months off and on), and I finally got it in primer yesterday. My goal was to clean up the engine bay, giving it a very smooth look that will be painted body color.

The first order of business was fixing the piece holding the upper apron and cowl together - The cowl and the piece both were completely rusted out.

Here is the repair on the cowl (under the piece connected to the apron)

2rgl7h1.jpg

Here is the piece after it as spot welded back in...

5ebc3k.jpg

The main area I focused on was the fire wall...I shaved the lip where the upper and lower cowl, and firewall meet. Obviously this is structural part of a uni-body, so to build integrity back into area I burned in some thick walled 1" by 3" square tubing from one side of the firewall to the other right below the lower cowl panel under the dash. Then I ran more tubing from this brace down to each rocker and back up to the A pillar. You can see where I plug welded the bracing to the firewall in these pictures.

bwjds.jpg

I was never a huge fan of the 'hump' over the master cylinder where the wiper motor goes...So i just removed it...I have a plan to retrofit a later model motor so I don't lose my driverside wiper. (Passenger side is gone forever!)

107l2x1.jpg

Bye bye battery box...After all batteries aren't necessary, right?

2qdmkhv.jpg

Here she is as she sits today...This is the first coat of epoxy primer. I'm going to do some more body work to the passenger side and then spray a thick coat of 2k primer.

5dqgq1.jpg

dpgx03.jpg

21ak97d.jpg

Did this in my foxbody a lot of work but well worth it!

That's pretty sweet. Good work.
Thanks! I'm going to try my hand at fiberglass for an engine cover and radiator cover next. I thought about trying it with metal but i don't want to add any more weight to the frontend.

I'm a little worried about the body work around the strut towers and apron/firewall joins. I welded the seams but I know these areas have a lot of flex and I don't want it to crack out. Anyone have any issues with this?

I did my fox when i was 19 so i used more filler than i now like in sme areas. I romp on the car with frame connector haven had an issue yet

Wow that's fantastic! I certainly like the look of a good clean engine bay but that's a little bit too much work for my tastes!
Thanks man! I'm with you! If I ever do another 71 coupe, I think I will learn to live with the factory engine bay! This is my first resto-mod, and one thing I've realized is projects like this take MUCH longer than I originally guess. I figured I would have this knocked out in a few days...Several months later I'm still not done.

Looks good. No wipers?
Well, with the shape of the cowl it made it impossible to keep the passenger wiper hole and have the smooth look I was after. I still have the driver side wiper hole.

I'm going to retro fit wipers on the car, just haven't made it that far yet. Actually i will probably worry about this last. I can always coat the window in rain-x! :-/

Last edited by a moderator:
I've realized is projects like this take MUCH longer than I originally guess. I figured I would have this knocked out in a few days...Several months later I'm still not done.
Once the "while I'm at its" set in the time and resources required become very unpredictable! :D
Ain't that the truth. I got the car Christmas 2010 and if I would have just stuck with a general restoration I probably would be done. Or at least not still doing body work! But to be honest I think I have more fun working on the car than I would driving it. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.:rolleyes:

Right now I'm really torn if I should keep the original plan and create a new roof line that mimics the convertible top. I've always preferred the look of the convertible rear window over the vertical coupe rear window. I also like the more 'bubble' top that ends at the truck lid over the swooping pillars that extend to the tail section. I've been looking at grafting a 66' coupe rear window in.

Last edited by a moderator:
71_Stang you're downright crazy! I'm intimidated by the prospect of repairing my rear quarters and you're contemplating major vehicular transplantation! Regardless of what you choose to do, based on the quality of work you've shown in the engine bay I have little doubt that it will be impressive to look at.

Back