When is it time to let it go?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Okay guys it’s time for a serious question. When is it time to sell your car? You see, I’m at a point with my beloved Mustang that I think my time with it may be coming to an end. I can’t even say why I have this feeling. I’ve had the car long enough that people associate me with “the old lime green Mustang”. And I am definitely not bored with it and the car owes me nothing so selling it because I need the money is not an issue.

No, I think it may be that I just don’t get a chance to drive it as much as I’d like. I’m also getting to the point where the so-so paint and worn interior will have to be addressed but I have my own personal horror stories as well as those of others relying on “reputable” shops to accomplish the work I am not capable of and I never want to go through that again.

So to quell these urges I go for a drive down one of my favorite roads on a warm spring night.

2078b.JPG

It feels great but due to an exceptionally wet spring I went home and now two weeks later it still sits in my garage, fueling my thoughts of selling it. I don’t even know what to ask for it. Every guy with a clapped out first gen Camaro figures its worth 20g’s minimum and these same guys grimace when I say I may ask 13 thou for mine!

So I have to ask. How do you guys resist the urge to sell? Need some encouragement.

So I have to ask. How do you guys resist the urge to sell? Need some encouragement.

I always wanted my car...I had some fantastic offers and turned them down..i keep telling my self...I will never get this car again.......Some people sell fast and regret it and get their car back...Most thou loose there car forever and have to find a new love...and usualy end up getting one that was worse than what they got rid of..lol...I seen that happen a few times.

But you may part ways and not look back...But sounds like you are not sure...If you dont have to get rid of it...I would set on it and see how you feel...Cause it wont be hard to sell your car...and you mite even find some cool car to trade for too...all counts on what you want ,need or feel like...maybe you need a fastback instead of a convert;)

Last edited by a moderator:
possibly when someone offers me 2-3 times what it's worth.

And if that ever happened, I might consider getting another one....but probably something like a notchback instead of the blind behind sportroof,lol

The sun will come out again,then life will be good.IMHO,if you're asking us,then you're not ready.Keep that faithful steed until you are so sure what to do that you don't need anyone else to sway you.I"ve sold stuff over the years cause I did'nt use or need it ,only to regret it later.My .02 cents.:)

If your tired of looking at it and never drive it I have a great idea.

loan it to me, I'll make sure to keep fluids moving in it for ya, you don't need the money and I don't have any so we're good there. And when you start regretting it I'll give it back and you can be in love all over again.

The sun will come out again,then life will be good.IMHO,if you're asking us,then you're not ready.Keep that faithful steed until you are so sure what to do that you don't need anyone else to sway you.I"ve sold stuff over the years cause I did'nt use or need it ,only to regret it later.My .02 cents.:)
+1

If your tired of looking at it and never drive it I have a great idea.

loan it to me, I'll make sure to keep fluids moving in it for ya, you don't need the money and I don't have any so we're good there. And when you start regretting it I'll give it back and you can be in love all over again.
Now that is an ingenious plan

Last edited by a moderator:
As an original owner of "Fire" (my '73 Mach 1), I can honestly say that I have never ever thought of selling it. The truth be told, there are times when I don't even "see" it for a couple of days as I have a 4-car detached garage and three of my Mustangs "sleeps" in there while the First Lady's "driver" (2013 Lincoln MKT) and my "driver" (2003 Marauder) sleeps outside.

That having been said, I KNOW it is there in the garage and I always have this warm feeling when I think of the memories and just the thought that I still have it.

Like many "car" people, I have "regrets" about at least one car I didn't keep. In my case, a 1967 fastback that I had to leave in the Republic of the Philippines as I could only ship one car back. I don't like that feeling as I realize a really GREAT life is about doing the things that you truly enjoy or that are interesting to you...it is about what it takes to get you through each day with more "smiles" than "frowns."

My Mustangs, particularly "Fire" are in the SMILES category:)!

BT

It all depends on how easily you can let things go.

I know that I can´t, so.....

I know what you mean with the weather and such. Last summer here in Central Europe sucked and it looks like this summer might go the same route. May was short 80 hours of sunshine and had more than twice the amount of rain it has on average. Plus it´s way to cold for the season.

I try and use the Mustang as much as I can as a daily driver when it´s not raining cats and dogs for a change. Even with the top up it beats driving the VW and the Alfa Romeo.

If you don´t need the money, I would not sell it. The resto issue can be pushed back. Try to get as much mileage from it in the state that it is now. Unless you want a showcar.

Remember that they usually don´t deteriorate much if they are not constantly being exposed to the elements.

So if you keep it in a dry garage, try not to drive it in the rain (I think snow is not an option anyway) to often, maybe get rid of the moldy carpet and insulation if it´s still in place, you may be able to enjoy that car for many years to come.

Now if you are like a friend of mine who will spontaneously sell things when the right offer shows up and never regret it, go ahead and sell it.

I know that I get attached to things. I remember when I sold my 1964 Vintage Fender Stratocaster. I had thought it all through, made the decision, got a decent offer and was happy when I found a buyer...

Only problem is, I woke up at night, feeling terrible with a sense of having made a bad decision and I got literally sick.

I called the guy up after two days and told him the deal was cancelled, he did not need to come to pick it up.

We´re good friends now by the way, so no loss, only gain. :)

But that shows you what I mean.

If you are like that, don´t sell!

I can understand the feeling about the cold wet spring, we live close enough where we have had the same weather. I still drive mine as much as possible weather permitting. I keep to my game plan of building a great road car and keep "improving" the car year to year in the off season. As for body work and paint and needing upholstery done, I am in a similar position. My plan is to do the body work myself and have it ready for paint and have a painter I know spray it for me. I want to learn to paint by doing the jams and engine compartment, etc.. I am planning to teach myself to do the upholstery, buy the TMI kits and have at it.

My advice, drive it, drive it and drive it some more. When it's not fun anymore, sell it. I got to that point with my GTO, sold it and have never regretted it.

I'm sitting here at work watching the rain clouds roll in again and I understand what you're saying, I sold my 70 Mach one when my wife was expecting our son. Regretted it when I saw the car rolling away.

My vert needs work it's a rolling project I've wanted to swap to a 5 speed for 4 years but life gets in the way,i still enjoy driving my car.

My wife pointed out to me that whenever I walk through the garage I put my hand on the vert and I smile so she knows I'll never sell this one.

Enjoy your car so what if it needs work.

For me it's a bonding experience with my son and I and the mustang hobby has gained another faithful.

Have I got a deal for you!

Straight across swap, that way you can revel in the good old days of fixing it up!

Obviously I'm kidding. My dad still regrets getting rid of his '01 GT. He thought it was the right time as well and now wishes he didn't.

Matrix came up with the best plan so far. Lol

If you have to ask then you know the answer. You don't need us to tell you to sell or keep it. Not being mean with that statement at all. Personally I don't think you're ready to sell but that's just my $0.02.

Thanks for the input guys.It is much appreciated. Funny thing is, as soon as I posted this thread I thought "What am I doing?". So this morning I met up with some friends and hit a small car show. As usual I get the comments on the color both positive and negative, which I don't care about but do find it interesting just the same.

2118b.JPG

Then somebody approaches me and hears that my car may be for sale and it hits me. The knot in my stomach tells me that that I'm not ready to let her go. Then a buddy who builds rack and pinion conversions for early Mustangs suggests we do this conversion complete with struts to mine to make it more road friendly and dispense with the talk of selling it. Gotta like that.

So the lesson I would say is to not make a rash decision without some serious thought because once it's gone... its gone! And it would appear that I'm not ready for it to be gone.

Sounds to me like you still enjoy owning your stang. We don't have these cars because we need them, we have them because we want (and love) them. Keep it and get whatever enjoyment you can out of the experience of owning and driving such a special car! Good luck.

Back