Totalled's rebuild thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Q code Mach 1
Finally got time and space to install all the parts I've collected over the past couple of years.

I'm pulling the rear end to swap in a powetrax no-slip, alloy axles, and fresh wheel bearings. Probably will clean and paint the housing since I went this far... Then I'll put fresh springs, sway bar, and cal tracs bars in.

IMG_00105_zpsd0d90bd2.jpg

IMG_00065_zps1191d984.jpg

Gee, I wonder why the driver's side sat lower than the passenger side...

IMG_066_zps9d9f24bf.jpg

IMG_067_zps29db0ac0.jpg

These are the factory tie down brackets... They are supposed to be removed by the dealer when it's prepped for sale.

IMG_068_zpsb8378923.jpg

Factory rear sway bar.. It's kinda cute, huh?

IMG_070_zpsaa21ab62.jpg

Stopping point for the day.

IMG_069_zps3c9af20a.jpg

IMG_071_zpsdb1929e9.jpg

Kick arse....Looks like fun!! I never checked under mine if the old tie downs are there or not.."yet" hehe...Ohh ya...looks like that side of washington been a little bad on your leaf springs...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
.Ohh ya...looks like that side of washington been a little bad on your leaf springs...lol
This car is originally from Iowa.

Looking good Pat! How long do you think it'll be out of commission?
I hope to have the suspension/exhaust phase done for July... Might start the motor upgrades after.. depends. I''m thinking of picking up another short block to build since this is the numbers matching motor.

I mocked up the new Hooker Aerochamber mufflers with the old exhaust to see how they'd sound. I'm still gonna replace it with headers, a 2.5" x pipe and new tail pipes that actually fit.

[video=youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
They sound pretty good man...You going with hooker headers too? If so i hope to see how low they hang...I got a set of long tube headers for mine sitting in the back room.

Yeah, hooker comp long tubes. Ah heck, I'll just post up all the parts I have lined up to go in.

Got an aluminum drive shaft from a CVPI I plan and having shortened up.

IMG_2300_zpsa85b4143.jpg

Poly mounts.

IMG_14821.jpg

IMG_14961.jpg

IMG_15371.jpg

Quench heads with Milodon ss valves and comp springs/guide plates, arp studs.

IMG_15821.jpg

IMG_15831.jpg

Don't have pics, but got 5 leaf rear springs, 620 front coils, roller spring perches, global west negative roll upper and lower control arms, sub frame connectors, strut rods, caltracs traction bars, 1.25" front sway bar, 7/8" rear sway bar, RPM air gap intake, deep aluminum trans pan, B&M trans pack shift kit, and an R-code servo.

Might be more, but that's what I remember that I've acquired so far...

I think Summit racing. I don't exactly remember.

This hose ran from about the rear sway bar bushing on the passenger side, back along the frame rail, and the curved and ended behind the gas tank above the rear valance.. it was held on with the little bracket. Any ideas?

IMG_072_zps8e5284ad.jpg

Got some 1.5" plate steel arbor plates for my press, and put it to work pressing the rubber bushings out of the new springs to replace them with the aluminum bushings that come with the caltracs bars.

IMG_073_zpsf0033a8d.jpg

IMG_076_zpse03914ae.jpg

IMG_077_zpsc0581082.jpg

Original 4 leaf spring vs 5 leaf new springs.

IMG_074_zps67d1be59.jpg

IMG_075_zpse1746fe2.jpg

Caltracs bars and global west delalum shackles.

IMG_0078_zpsb4d563fe.jpg

Damn Pat, that sounds great already. Looking forward to seeing the finished product, if you need a second hand on anything I work for cold beer. Saw a PD vehicle a couple of days ago while driving the Mach, checked my speed and as I went by I realized it was you.

Jim

New vs old rear sway bar:

IMG_0079_zps8d064e90.jpg

IMG_0082_zpsb5165e1c.jpg

The original drive shaft is really crusty, pitted, and ready for retirement.

IMG_0084_zps48809dac.jpg

And the rear awaiting a cleaning, moser axles, fresh wheel bearings, and swapping the lock-rite for a powertrax no-slip.

IMG_0085_zps4105c4b7.jpg

Spent the last two weekends jumping on parts deals for my two pickups. I have next week off so I will get some progress done on the Mach.

Found out most of the clunking I heard while driving from the rear was the f'd up left tail pipe hitting the rear axle...

IMG_0107_zpsa0d48b6d.jpg

New aluminum drive shaft from street or track showed up, so I put the slip yoke on it, and dropped the rest of the exhaust out. Manifolds are up next.

IMG_0093_zps1bde5a0b.jpg

IMG_0094_zps1c52432b.jpg

Latest posts

Back