Dual Exhaust Cutout Valance

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 CJ 4 speed HIGHLY Optioned
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; How was it determined if a dual exhaust 71-73 Mach 1 was equipped from the factory with the dual exhaust cutout rear valance. I have a 73 Mach 1 CJ VERY original, has factory dual exhaust yet has NO cutouts!...Please tell myself/others if your 71-73 Mach 1 has the dual exhaust cutouts.....VERY interested in how this "option" (?) was determined....Thanks for your input/s!!...Mark

Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; How was it determined if a dual exhaust 71-73 Mach 1 was equipped from the factory with the dual exhaust cutout rear valance. I have a 73 Mach 1 CJ VERY original, has factory dual exhaust yet has NO cutouts!...Please tell myself/others if your 71-73 Mach 1 has the dual exhaust cutouts.....VERY interested in how this "option" (?) was determined....Thanks for your input/s!!...Mark
Your car should not have the cutouts

Most 73's did not get them

As the original owner of "Fire" (my '73 Mach 1), I can definitively state that my Mustang did not come with the cut outs...but I do like them and will probably install a different rear valance when I do the next paint job.

BT

I recently had the exact same question and my research led me to the following fact from a Ford book somewhere...

Cars after 1/1/73 were installed with turn downs do to changes in emission/noise level laws. Cars before this date would have normally had the tips.

Jeff

I bought a NOS valance with the cutouts to swap out on my car. i like the look also and read a few posts that some aftermarket valances were manufactured too narrow and require a lot of work to make them look normal. I always find it interesting that the 71 BOSS 351 had dual downturned exhaust without the cutouts. But the BOSS exhaust system also had the tail pipe sections welded to the mufflers for some reason.

I recently had the exact same question and my research led me to the following fact from a Ford book somewhere...

Cars after 1/1/73 were installed with turn downs do to changes in emission/noise level laws. Cars before this date would have normally had the tips.

Jeff
You are probably "on to something" there Jeff as my '73 was built in February 1973.

BT

All 2-v, single exhaust mach 1s (and other Mustangs) came with turn-downs. (250 1-V, 302 2-V, 351 2-V)

All 4-V, dual exhaust mach 1's (351 4-V and 429) came with cutouts & chrome tips.

Exceptions:

1) all Boss 351s came with turn-downs

2) all 73 mach 1's built after 1-73 came with turn-downs.

3) All non-mach 1's came with turn-downs, regardless of engine or exhaust.

At least that is the way the Ford catalogs, order sheets and brochures tell the tale. There are bound to be some factory-freak one-offs out there.

Last edited:
I have two Q code Mach 1's One was built 6/25/73 and it has no cut outs the other car was built on 7/5/73 and has the cut outs. Both cars have their original rear valances. Maybe Ford was trying to use up some left over parts on the July built cars. I like the looks of the cut outs myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two Q code Mach 1's One was built 6/25/73 and it has no cut outs the other car was built on 7/5/73 and has the cut outs. Both cars have their original rear valances. Maybe Ford was trying to use up some left over parts on the July built cars. I like the looks of the cut outs myself.

PM sent.
Maybe dealer changed it?

PM sent.
Maybe dealer changed it?
That's certainly a possibility Don.

My car is a 73 Mach 1. On my Marti Report shows dual exhaust option. I have two cut outs for exaust. I also got it verified its original after I got it plastic media stripped. The old ones where made of galvanized I believe. One out of a hindered are perfect and on my car that's the only straight thing on it.

Added note my car was made January 2ND 73.

Addeded note my mustang is a factory 351 C2V FMX

Last edited by a moderator:
it might depend on the factory the car came from and the District of sale. anything going for WEST coast would of been on Cali emissions standards that required turn-downs and things were a little nuttier back then because they might of prepped a car for Cali emissions because it was heading west but if it ultimately didn't go into cali for final DSO then it wouldn't of gotten a smog pump system, but could of had the turn downs and EGR etc...

something going south or East might of left with cutouts at different times before 74 production started.

I read the same thing about the turn downs and it makes finding exhaust for 71-72 cars a bigger pain, because most placing make the replica exhaust pipes with turndowns only.

Back