How much engine, gearbox and axle fluid do i need?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang sportsroof
1970 Mustang Hardtop
1972 Mercedes Benz 350 SLC European Version
1950 Ford Custom coupé
Hello guys!! here i am with another concern...

Since i had never renewed the engine oil of my car (i guess is a 10+ year old oil :p) i´m gonna have to do it tomorrow.. also, i´m gonna change the fluids of the gearbox and the rear axle...

Question 1... how many oil does the I6 250 ci takes?... i´ll change the filter too...

Question 2... which type of fluid does the gearbox and the rear axle uses?... Please dont answer me with fluid marks cause in uruguay, we dont get the same mark of fluid you guys do...

Question 3... how much gearbox and axle fluid do i need??? i think i´ll empty (if i can) both grarbox and axle so the fluid get all new...

Thank´s very much!!

We have some fluid capacities listed in the Data link up top...the chart is clear at the bottom of your car's year and listed in US Pint quantities. This info is not confirmed yet, so several references are recommended!

Yes, i saw the info in the Data session but it only has engine oil capacity which is the less complicated... I can easly measure how much oli i take out or pouring the new oil slowly and keep checking the oil "ruler" or whatever this is called :p

Gearbox and axle is what worries me the most because i dont know which fluid do they use and less, how much fliud do i need to fill them out...

Thanks rocketfoot!

I use Lucas 85/140 gear oil in the rear of my Mach. When I fill it it take about 1 1/2 us quarts. I fill it until it starts coming out of the fill hole.

I found the best way to fill it is to use a sucktion gun. Don't know if this helps.

Jim

Your 1972 250 CI engine calls for 3.5 quarts of oil plus 1 quart for the new filter.

Your 1972 Three-speed transmission calls for 3.5 Pints if drained all the way.

Your 1972 drive axle with the 250 CI engine calls for four (4) pints if drained all the way.

SOURCE: Chilton Mustang 1965 -73

Hope this helps.

BT

Thanks Jim and BT! As always, really helpfull guys!

Now i´m gonna look a convertion table... in uruguay, we go for litres, meters etc...

Ok.. I did the search and..

1 US liquid quart = 0.946352946 litres

1 US dry quart = 1.101220942715 litres

1 imperial quart = 1.1365225 litres

I think i should use the first one... Liquid Quart... don´t I?

And i think i should use the Liquid Pint too that is... 1 Pint = 0.47 Litres

Well.... if that´s so, thanks guys!!

Yes, you would use the LIQUID quart conversion.

The conversion to litres to quart is roughly one half of a pint, specifically one pint is the equivalent of .0473176 litres.

BT

Yes, you would use the LIQUID quart conversion.

The conversion to litres to quart is roughly one half of a pint, specifically one pint is the equivalent of .0473176 litres.

BT
X2. Without much harm, a quart of oil is about a litre of oil, and a pint of diff fluid, is about a half litre of diff fluid.

Doc

Back