New suspension mods available- Maier Racing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1969 Bronco Sport
1964 Falcon
DSCF7848.JPGDSCF7850.JPGDSCF7852.JPGDSCF7853.JPGDSCF7855.JPGJust picked up Maier Racings rear panhard bar and subframe connectors and I have to say it was one of the biggest differences I have ever seen in regards to handling.

First hard turn I took, couldn't believe how the car turned like it was on a rail, no lean, no rear end twitch, just cornered. If I didn't know better I would have thought that they rebuilt my front end!

If anyone is interested in picking some up, hit up Mike Maier or any of the guys there and tell them that you want the same set up as Guys red & black 72 Mach 1. http://www.maiermotorsports.com/rear-suspension , Call 510-581-7600 or email [email protected].

Everything welds on, so you have to be willing to alter that way and I needed to work some magic on the tail pipe routing, as it's pretty tight, but well worth the effort for the result.

DSCF7949.JPG

DSCF7950.JPG

DSCF7951.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great tweak for a modded car. Are you planning to attend and participate in any open track events?

If you haven't already - check with local Shelby and/or Ford performance clubs. Your car sounds like a perfect candidate for some serious road racing fun.

Thanks for the pics and info.

Ray

Wow, that's cool. Unfortunately that would never pass inspection in my country and you would have your registration revoked. :-(

I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Wow, that's cool. Unfortunately that would never pass inspection in my country and you would have your registration revoked. :-(

are they that strict in Luxembourg?? that sux...

:(

Sounds like a great tweak for a modded car. Are you planning to attend and participate in any open track events?

If you haven't already - check with local Shelby and/or Ford performance clubs. Your car sounds like a perfect candidate for some serious road racing fun.

Thanks for the pics and info.

Ray
Eventually, I'll hit the track with it. Brakes are next, then going through the rearend, then probably go to 16" or 17" magnum 500's, so I can get some good tires on there, then it'll be track ready. Until then the back roads will do!

Hello guys72Mach1,

I like what you did to the mustang body/suspension upgrade! According to Maier Racing, these parts are listed for the 1965 through 1970 Mustangs. There was no fit issues? Does Maier Racing say they are designed to fit the 1971-73 Mustangs? I see the sub-frame connectors are also listed for only 65-70. Maybe they have not updated the web catalog. Please advise.

mustang7173 :huh:

Hello guys72Mach1,

I like what you did to the mustang body/suspension upgrade! According to Maier Racing, these parts are listed for the 1965 through 1970 Mustangs. There was no fit issues? Does Maier Racing say they are designed to fit the 1971-73 Mustangs? I see the sub-frame connectors are also listed for only 65-70. Maybe they have not updated the web catalog. Please advise.

+1

I am also looking to do sub frame work and wanted to the same thing. On the other hand I really like what Obsidian71 did on his car but I don't think I have the skill he does with a welder.

73framerails.jpg

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-sn71?page=5

Just found this on Dallas Mustangs site "Subframe Connectors, 1967-1973, Coupe & Fastback, Global West" http://www.dallasmustang.com/mustang-parts/product/Subframe-Connectors-1967-1973-Coupe-Fastback-Global-West/10481

I would call Maier Racing but I bet if you are welding these in they will cover 67-73 just fine. Just a guess at this point. I am out of town for a while but I'll re-post when I can if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Also the proof would be on the nice red fastback! :D

Hello guys72Mach1,

Thanks!

They have not updated the website yet, but these were specifically built for the 71-73 platform. They used my car as a template and only had to make some very slight mod's from the 70 parts to make them fit.

I was worried about the subframe connectors as my car is lowered quite a bit, so I was worried about having some clearance issue's. But as you can see from the pix, the sub's do not extend below the frame and about the only thing that sits a little low, is the panhard bar lower brackets, but they do not scrape on anything. Plus, it looks cool!

If you are interested in pricing, give Mike a call and tell him I pointed you to him. He will get you hooked up.

I told them I was going to post some pix on here and that they may be getting some calls.

Hello guys72Mach1,

+1

I am also looking to do sub frame work and wanted to the same thing. On the other hand I really like what Obsidian71 did on his car but I don't think I have the skill he does with a welder.

Just found this on Dallas Mustangs site "Subframe Connectors, 1967-1973, Coupe & Fastback, Global West" http://www.dallasmustang.com/mustang-parts/product/Subframe-Connectors-1967-1973-Coupe-Fastback-Global-West/10481

I would call Maier Racing but I bet if you are welding these in they will cover 67-73 just fine. Just a guess at this point. I am out of town for a while but I'll re-post when I can if someone doesn't beat me to it.

:) Yah, Obsidian's is pretty sick. Having the frame off allows for some craziness to take place for sure. Some really nice work on his ride.

About the fitment..see above thread. Thanks!

Well I guess you need to bring that bad boy to the States and do some road rippin', American style!!

What's the reason they give that they don't allow suspension mod's like this?

Maybe they can build you a stealth version that blends with the undercarriage! :D

Maybe they can build you a stealth version that blends with the undercarriage! :D

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!!!!

Slealth performance mods are pretty cool.

Ray

That does look pretty awesome. Did you do upper and lower control arms and/or springs from Maier as well?

That does look pretty awesome. Did you do upper and lower control arms and/or springs from Maier as well?
No front end work up there yet. All my stuff up there is pretty new, already had the Maier coil springs, so other then going to the Koni's, no other work other than rear suspension panhard bar, subs and rear leafs.

But like I said earlier, just the work in the rear made it feel like my whole front end was done. Pretty amazing that tightening up the back makes such a huge difference in the cornering and excelarating out of the corner.

Plus, I still have those crappy T/A's on there that are so slow to respond to hard turns. Love the way they look, but their performance leaves a lot to be desired. Guess that's what you get for 40 year old technology that hasn't changed! Thanks BF Goodrich for really keeping it retro!

There close to you man, hit them up!

Hello guys72Mach1,

Now, we are cooking with PAM! Since they used your car as a template, we defiantly know that they will fit. Thank You for doing this for the rest of us. I will be looking into the future for this add-on!

mustang7173 :D

Hello guys72Mach1,

Thanks!

They have not updated the website yet, but these were specifically built for the 71-73 platform. They used my car as a template and only had to make some very slight mod's from the 70 parts to make them fit.

I was worried about the subframe connectors as my car is lowered quite a bit, so I was worried about having some clearance issue's. But as you can see from the pix, the sub's do not extend below the frame and about the only thing that sits a little low, is the panhard bar lower brackets, but they do not scrape on anything. Plus, it looks cool!

If you are interested in pricing, give Mike a call and tell him I pointed you to him. He will get you hooked up.

I told them I was going to post some pix on here and that they may be getting some calls.

Hello guys72Mach1,

+1

:) Yah, Obsidian's is pretty sick. Having the frame off allows for some craziness to take place for sure. Some really nice work on his ride.

About the fitment..see above thread. Thanks!

Well I guess you need to bring that bad boy to the States and do some road rippin', American style!!

What's the reason they give that they don't allow suspension mod's like this?

Any reason you went panhard rather than Watts?
So, couple of questions. Would this work with an M code car with staggered shocks? and how difficult would it be to route the exhaust over the rearend and around the Panhard?

BDK

Any reason you went panhard rather than Watts?
So, couple of questions. Would this work with an M code car with staggered shocks? and how difficult would it be to route the exhaust over the rearend and around the Panhard?

BDK
Not sure about the staggered shocks, although if the drivers side is behind the axle and the passenger side shock is in front of the axle, you should be fine. If visa versa, that may be a problem, routing the tailpipe on the passenger side.

The passenger side was the toughest to route the pipe, had to 3 piece it and drop down to 2" pipe after the muffler. Have 2 1/2" up to the Spintechs, but there was no way to make 2 1/4" clear. It was tight, but it all clears, no rubbing or contact anywhere. Still sounds killer, no power loss.

I'll try and get some shots on the rack with the piping, but just know that it is tight but not impossible!

As for staggered shocks.. I'm assuming they are set up that way to hold the housing when you get on it.. Is this close? If so, if you don't have staggered shocks, how well would a torque arm work?

As for the 2" exhaust, I assume that woukd be pretty restrictive on a 460 based stroker?

As for staggered shocks.. I'm assuming they are set up that way to hold the housing when you get on it.. Is this close? If so, if you don't have staggered shocks, how well would a torque arm work?

As for the 2" exhaust, I assume that woukd be pretty restrictive on a 460 based stroker?
In regards to restriction, if the pipes came out of the collector at 2", yes, I would say that there would be some restriction. But thru the muffler you already have restriction with the baffles that slow down the air flow, then exiting dropping down to 2" outside as opposed to 2 1/4", I think you would be hard pressed to prove there is a difference there.

I worked at a custom exhaust shop for years and every single hot rodder that came in wanted 2 1/2" or 3" pipes on their car, because of fear of restriction and power loss. Don't hate on me if you were one of them?? :p

We even took part in a few Dynos before and after exhaust systems have been installed and from what I have seen, after the muffler with 4' of 2", pipe there is no restriction or power loss there. Unless you are pushin 750hp, you will see no difference with such a short tailpipe pipe run. The bends are more of a factor then the pipe diameter.

Of course, you could take the exhaust pressure leaving the collector and calculate the pipe run, the diameter, the pressure drop after the baffles and exiting the muffler, the bends, how many and the angles of each and prove the fact scientifically. But I only pulled a D- in algebra, so take that into account when you listen to me!

I was just curious. On a 460 forum, there is a horsepower chart. For anyt "recipe" for over 550 hp I believe they are saying you need 3" exhaust.

I was just curious. On a 460 forum, there is a horsepower chart. For anyt "recipe" for over 550 hp I believe they are saying you need 3" exhaust.
Hey Cazsper,

On another note....I am organizing a car show in Livermore on July 13th. It is open to all vehicles, we have everything from a 68 VW, to a Daytona Coupe, to a Military prototype sand rail with a Viper V10 sticking out the back. In every stage of construction.

No fee to enter your vehicle and lots to do,. Great cars, laid back event, BBQ ribs and chicken and live music!

Check it out, I'd love to see you there and get some 71-73 rep!

http://rimzandribz.com/homeabout.html

Back