429 C6 conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72survivor

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Cougar XR7
I have a rebuilt 429 "N" code from a `70 Torino that I want to install into my 72 Cougar. I also have the C6 out of the same Torino, but it is a column shift trans. I really need some help to figure out what I`d need to change on the C6 to make it a floor shift for my Cougar. Is this at all possible? What do I need for the linkages? Are any of the linkages from the FMX usable? Are any of the linkages available? Do I have to keep the lockout that goes to the steering column? I'm sure most if not all of these questions have been asked a million times before but I could really use the help. Thanks very much for any information.

Mike

I have a rebuilt 429 "N" code from a `70 Torino that I want to install into my 72 Cougar. I also have the C6 out of the same Torino, but it is a column shift trans. I really need some help to figure out what I`d need to change on the C6 to make it a floor shift for my Cougar. Is this at all possible? What do I need for the linkages? Are any of the linkages from the FMX usable? Are any of the linkages available? Do I have to keep the lockout that goes to the steering column? I'm sure most if not all of these questions have been asked a million times before but I could really use the help. Thanks very much for any information.

Mike
Here is some info on how I did it. http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162057

You can use the FMX shifter but you need to fab a linkage.

I wasn't looking to cause any problems, just trying to get useful info from people who have given this a shot. I've been on the Cougar sites for a while and not many have done this conversion. In the past, whenever I googled anything about 429 conversions I more often than not ended up being led back to this site. TommyK: thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

I wasn't looking to cause any problems, just trying to get useful info from people who have given this a shot. I've been on the Cougar sites for a while and not many have done this conversion. In the past, whenever I googled anything about 429 conversions I more often than not ended up being led back to this site. TommyK: thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
No Problem:)!

As inferred, for the respective years, a LOT of the Cougar and Mustang parts are interchangeable.

I did this conversion (N Coded Torino with column C6) for my 1973 Grande. As to parts, I simply told folks I was working on a 1971 C or J (429Cj?SCJ) Mustang. The link Tommy gave you is "right on" the money as to what you need to do.

Please don't hesitate to post up but any questions on your Cougar might receive "quicker" responses under the "Other Vehicles" Forum of this Site. You don't have to "own" a 1971 - 1973 Mustang to participate and we do have folks on the Site who are certainly willing to assist you with what you are doing with your Cougar:).

BT

As inferred, for the respective years, a LOT of the Cougar and Mustang parts are interchangeable.

I did this conversion (N Coded Torino with column C6) for my 1973 Grande. As to parts, I simply told folks I was working on a 1971 C or J (429Cj?SCJ) Mustang. The link Tommy gave you is "right on" the money as to what you need to do.

Please don't hesitate to post up but any questions on your Cougar might receive "quicker" responses under the "Other Vehicles" Forum of this Site. You don't have to "own" a 1971 - 1973 Mustang to participate and we do have folks on the Site who are certainly willing to assist you with what you are doing with your Cougar:).

BT

Sorry, I wasn't familiar with the Forum rules on this one.

Greg.:)

Absolutely!

mustang7173 ::welcome::

BT

72survivor,

You might need to find a busted C6 from a Mustang and or locate the parts themselves. The "F " code is for Mustangs.

osgvv7.jpg

2mg582c.jpg

2qntag6.jpg

Source: Ford Motor Master Catalog

This might help.

mustang7173 :D

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Back