1973 ignition cylinder replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 429 cu. in. C6 Auto
2007 Mustang GT Convertible 2002 Lincoln Continental
2006 Toyota Corolla S Type
2006 Honda Goldwing
Hello All, I just bought a new ignition cylinder for my 73. I know I've replaced one or two of them in the past but not in the past 35 years :?). So who has the downlow on their replacement?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did this on my 73, pre-May design. jbojo is right on the money. Pull the steering wheel, put the key in the ignition, and switch it to ON (Though I thought I went to ACC could be remembering wrong) and press the little pin. The pin is located in a small hole on the right side of the column, it's just a retainer pin to keep the cylinder from coming out, I ended up using a coat hanger because mine was pretty stuck.

Also, if you don't have the original keys, good luck! I didn't have them for mine, so I had to drill out the cylinder, wasn't hard, just used a lot of patience to make sure I didn't drill anything I wasn't intending to replace. Good luck!

I need to replace my ignition cylinder on my 73 mustang. I read all the posts but mine doesn't have a tiny pinhole on the side. now what do I do?

Back