Difference between a 71/72 fender and a 73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
What's the difference between the 71/72 and the 73 fender? I have an OEM replacement for my driver's side I bought awhile back. I noticed the other day when I was shifting body parts in the garage that the replacement I bought has a slightly different bracket setup around where the headlight housing would go. Looks like a metal piece is missing where the original one has this piece welded on.

The 1971-72 are the same. They are designed to have the small polyurethane front bumper or the chrome bumper. They also have the turn signal indicator located in the front lower gravel panel. The 1973 Front fender was designed to the new Government 5 mile per bumper. Thus, making it bigger and heavier. This changed the whole front end. They relocated the turn/park signed to the front grill. The lower front gravel panel is much thinner than the 1971-72 lower gravel pan.

Thus, when purchasing used fenders, one must look or ask , what year does this fit.

Thank You

mustang7173 :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mustang 7173, I was told it was from a '72. Both look identical in every aspect except for this one metal piece on the inside of the fender. I need to grab a picture and post it up as I'm NOT doing a good job describing what's missing. :)

The bracket is for bolting the headlight bucket to. It is not included with either OEM or aftermarket fenders. I was schooled on this by a fellow member after I junked my old fenders. These must be cut off and re-installed on the new fenders.

Thanks, Jay

Ouch, I see what he's missing now. I guess some cutting and welding would be required I didn't know the aftermarket fenders don't have the headlight bucket brackets. That's good info as i would have been in the same boat if I didn't find a good deal on used factory fenders.

The after market fenders do have the bracket

When you went to Ford and bought service fenders the bracket was sold separately

Good news you have a Ford fender

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello dmasini,

No worries! I see what you were requesting info on. I remember seeing some OEM Service fenders and comparing them to the originals. Hey, dude, there is something missing here!

Is the piece marked in Yellow the one?

2q0j0co.jpg

Source: Ford Motor Master Parts

Thank you

mustang7173

Thanks Mustang 7173, I was told it was from a '72. Both look identical in every aspect except for this one metal piece on the inside of the fender. I need to grab a picture and post it up as I'm NOT doing a good job describing what's missing. :)

Hello dmasini,

No worries! I see what you were requesting info on. I remember seeing some OEM Service fenders and comparing them to the originals. Hey, dude, there is something missing here!

Is the piece marked in Yellow the one?

2q0j0co.jpg

Source: Ford Motor Master Parts

Thank you

mustang7173
Yep! That's exactly what it is! Thanks everyone. I got worried after seeing them together like that. Luckily the bracket on the old fender has zero rust on it.

I'll try and snap a picture in the next day or two to put in this post. That way others like myself who didn't know this piece came separately can see as well. Thanks again! Love this site for fast info! :D

Back