Replacement top.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
I was wondering what would be a good brand to use and what the going rate is to have one installed. I live in Michigan so if any one lives in the area let me know who does quality work at a good price.

Thanks John

73 red convertible

I was wondering what would be a good brand to use and what the going rate is to have one installed. I live in Michigan so if any one lives in the area let me know who does quality work at a good price.

Thanks John

73 red convertible
FWIW, mine came from National Parts Depot. On for 7 years. Looks new. I think the key for the fabric are the edge seems around the door windows as those get straightened and bent, straightened and bent. Kind of like Pam Anderson's boyfriends. Come to think of it, the seams kind of get cracked and start to peel...kind of like Pam's boyfriends.

#1...The key is the FRONT TACK BOARD. You want to make sure that gets replaced. OEM is WOOD.

#2...You may not need to replace the rear window, but what kind of shape is your ZIPPER in? What kind of shape are the glass seals to the fabric?

#3...How picky are you? I had a guy put mine on for $300. He did a good job for $300. I then took it to a second guy who really tightened it up for $100. $400 total.

The first thing you might want to do is check out a couple of installers (auto upholstery or custom upholstery is a good place to start). Some shops have preferences on which brand they like to use.

Here in WNY $500 is pretty common cost quoted for labor for complete removal and installation. There a 3 - 4 manufacturers (Kee, Robbins, Atomic) that provide some pretty good rated vinyl tops. If you have the budget, you can even get an insulated cloth top these days.

From waht I have been told the replacement tops are not of high quality. I have had two put in by a reputibale shop and he had problmes with both of them swearing at the manufactuer. The second one I had I found on craigslist as old stock from the 90s so he thought ti would be better.

Also the window zippers do not interchange from one top to another. Some are metal some are plastic and even the same type of material is different. I have a rear window with a metal zipper that does not match up witht the top in my car.

Also you will pay a little more but, consider having the installer get his brand of top.

That way any problems are his - he can't blame problems

on a top you brought in.

If any warrentee issues come up later they are on him too.

Also you will pay a little more but, consider having the installer get his brand of top.

That way any problems are his - he can't blame problems

on a top you brought in.

If any warrentee issues come up later they are on him too.
+1

you probably dont want to go in this direction but i will mention what i did only to point out the options available. The OEM top on my 72 was original and had a duct taped hole and looked bad. It was the vinyl coated canvas in white on a white car. looked grey and worn, had to go. My neighbor had a white Mercedes with a blue convert top that my girlfriend insisted would be a good combination for my 72. Not original but it would match the med blue interior as well. I spoke to the owner of the MB and he had no problems with the quality of the material. Called MB and they said all tops were made in Germany by a supplier named Sonnenland for the last 100yrs. The US distributor is named Haartz Corp in MI. Spoke to them, they sent me a dozen samples of blues they make and 3 weeks later i had a brand new top made for 72 Mustang with pads, cables, strips...every thing. I took it to a top installer and it took him a couple days. He said he never saw a top of this quality put on a muscle car. I said it's a MB company and he said he knew that because he replaced the MB tops all the time. Ever since i changed the color i have gotten 100% positive response from folks. The quality is amazing too. The numerous colors and types are surprising! not cheap though. Just to let you know there are many options available, not just the mustang parts shops.

Very true. But tops are similiar to tires and belts in that they are considered wear/replacement parts, unlike say oem distributors or alternators. And when the Tcover is in place you dont see it anyway. When you are driving on the highway at night you can appreciate the better made top because it is much quieter.

there are several How to's on the internet for DIY convertible top installations. I don't remember how much I paid to do mine but I do know I bought a Kee top on ebay and got a great deal and the top fits just like the original.

Back