73 Coberly Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Empty Stable Currently
So I do have some questions on this that seem to be inconsistent with the car.

The Marti report says that the car came with the "Non-Functioning" Ram Air set-up, but the car has the Hood Pins, and the hood springs are the squared corner type typically found on the Ram Air equipped cars, and looking at the underside of the hood, it does appear that it once did have all the equipment installed but at this point someone has removed it.

Also, a fun fact about the car, it was a Special Order vehicle, delivered to Coberly Ford with an owner already in mind, I know this because Coberly tagged all special order cars at the dealer. On my radiator support, there is a special tag bearing the Coberly name and the vehicle's unique Coberly number (they started doing this when they first sold the GT/CS)

The car even still had it's Coberly License Plate frames when I got it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it should not have the hood pins.."I think"..And i think most of the ram air hoods..Including the non fuctioning got the square type springs..Ill have to go look at mine...Mine is a q code which got ram air delete by the goverment...No hood pins on mine...Not for sure if they still stuck them on the 2v non ram air types or not.

And your order type is stock..Which means Coberly most likely got it has a display car....Stock order type means...A dealer orders a car for display at his or her location....Mine is order type stock too..Most are retail orders i see...Alot of dealers like to add extra's too cars..And still do!..Some will have there own windows cutt in ...or own badges they put on them...Or funky vinyl tops...or even 1970's alarm systems...Mine has one of them in the trunk..lol..Notice it sat on lot for 3 months almost before sold? Most likely a display car for the lot to bring in customers;)

I stand corrected! Thanks for the information, I didn't even realize that is what it meant by Stock.

As far as the hood pins go, according to my 73 ordering guide, they were only included with the ram-air option. But I could be mistaken.

I want to order the original Ford invoice for the car, just not in a big hurry on it.

Love all the stuff I'm learning on this forum!

Same here!! Still learning alot on these cars...even know i owned one for almost 20 years now...lol

But yes non ram air should not have pop up hood latches from what i remember..But it was very popular to have them installed later on..But who knows sometimes.....We have seen a few things that do not fit the bill ..."like jims 4v car not having staggershocks" when according too Ford all 4v cars should have staggered shocks..But his does not and is a 4v car and not faked...So it hard to know what was original sometimes unless you was the one who ordered it from Ford originaly..lol...But you have to have proof to go along with things that do not match book.

Btw nice list of options..and great report!!

Mech,

Couple things about your car as it is similar to mine and I have done a lot of research (hyena429) also helped me.

Your car did not come with a ram air setup. If it did, it would be listed on the Marti. The hoods were the same for either set up so you would not really be able to tell.

The hood locks are correct for your car...if you look on your Marti you see the Tu-Tone Hood Option which include the blacked out hood AND twist-type hood locks.

I am not sure about the springs but they may have been out of the regular at the factory or the previous owner may have swapped because the originals were worn out.

It is a very nice and well optioned car.

Jeff

PS...I sent you a PM about another subject.

Mech,

Couple things about your car as it is similar to mine and I have done a lot of research (hyena429) also helped me.

Your car did not come with a ram air setup. If it did, it would be listed on the Marti. The hoods were the same for either set up so you would not really be able to tell.

The hood locks are correct for your car...if you look on your Marti you see the Tu-Tone Hood Option which include the blacked out hood AND twist-type hood locks.

I am not sure about the springs but they may have been out of the regular at the factory or the previous owner may have swapped because the originals were worn out.

It is a very nice and well optioned car.

Jeff

PS...I sent you a PM about another subject.
Finally! The mystery of the hood pins is resolved. Good, now I don't have to feel bad about not wanting to drop $550 bucks into getting a Ram-Air set up. Thanks Jeff!

And since I mentioned it I thought I would throw up a picture of the tag on the radiator support.

Is Corberly still in bis? or changed names? Be great to find some one to know what the serial numbers ment.

And i think Jeff is right..Mine did not come with tu tone hood originaly..Good catch Jeff!!

Is Corberly still in bis? or changed names? Be great to find some one to know what the serial numbers ment.

And i think Jeff is right..Mine did not come with tu tone hood originaly..Good catch Jeff!!
Coberly unfortunately went out of business quite a while ago, was really hard to even track down where the dealer physically existed (before getting the Marti report with the address on it)

So that route unfortunately is out of the question. I did think about snooping around some of the GT/CS forums (Coberly was the first dealer to have the GT/CS and sell it) and see if anyone there had managed to find any information because they badged all the GT/CS cars in the same way.

I never heard of Coberly Ford. Where was it originally located?

I never heard of Coberly Ford. Where was it originally located?
COBERLY FORD

1900 S FIGUEROA ST

LOS ANGELES CA 90007

I still have the dealer vanity license plate frames!

Like I stated earlier, Coberly's claim to fame, was that it was the first dealer to sell and advertise the 1968 Mustang GT/CS

Mech,

A lot of people put ram air set ups on cars that did not come that way from the factory as it was/is a very popular option. It could have been removed before sale because they knew that they were valuable. The fact that it once may have had it does not make it "correct" for your car.

Also, the hood may not even be the original hood...check the date codes on the underside. The hood molding on 73's is supposed to be body color, looks like yours is chrome, may be an indication that hood is not original?

The springs may have been replaced...check the date codes.

Jeff

Also, the hood may not even be the original hood...check the date codes on the underside. The hood molding on 73's is supposed to be body color, looks like yours is chrome, may be an indication that hood is not original?

The springs may have been replaced...check the date codes.

Jeff
Jeff,

Good thoughts, I did actually check that pretty early on, the hood is date coded properly for the car and does appear to be original. The hood molding on the front isn't chrome, it just shows up oddly in the picture, it's badly oxidized but it was once body color.

As far as the springs, the jury seems to be out on exactly what springs would get installed when, I'm thinking NASA hood period may have gotten the squared springs in 73 but who knows.

At this point I'm not too worried about it, I'm really enjoying just owning the car, and not needing the Ram-Air for it to be "Factory Original" just lets me save money!

A nice car to have.
Thanks!

and the hood springs are the squared corner type typically found on the Ram Air equipped cars, and looking at the underside of the hood, it does appear that it once did have all the equipment installed but at this point someone has removed it.

Are you talking about the drill holes under the hood? I mite be wrong "im sure Don at OMS can confirm or deny" Factory Nasa non functioning hoods where pre drilled and ready for ram air...Cause my hood has the holes all driled for ram air...does not mean some one put another hood on mine or drilled mine out......I remmeber a few post about it "i think" I could be wrong .

All NASA hoods had the pre drilled holes for the plenum

All NASA hoods had the HD flat sided springs - both R/A and non R/A got the HD springs

All 71-72 tutone hoods came with the hood pins. In 71-72, only functioning ram air got tutone. 73 had tutone option without functioning ramair

Back