Do all 73' mach 1's have hood scoops?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnrealRobert

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1, Yellow/White
Hello everybody!

I just bought a 1973 mach 1 (confirmed by vin.)and the original paint underneath was yellow and was redone many years ago in white.The hood that came on the car has yellow under it also, but it looks like a stock mustang(no intakes) flat hood. My question is that: Did all Mach 1' mustangs off that year have the ram air hoods (functioning or non functioning)???she's going into paint next week and I need to get the hood question figured out, Thanks! :huh:

No not all Mach 1s came with the NASA hood. The NASA hood was a option on 71-73 Mustang. You should look into getting a Marti report for your car.It will tell you for sure if your car came with the NASA hood.

Hello everybody!

I just bought a 1973 mach 1 (confirmed by vin.)and the original paint underneath was yellow and was redone many years ago in white.The hood that came on the car has yellow under it also, but it looks like a stock mustang(no intakes) flat hood. My question is that: Did all Mach 1' mustangs off that year have the ram air hoods (functioning or non functioning)???she's going into paint next week and I need to get the hood question figured out, Thanks! :huh:
The "Base" Mach 1 came with the standard flat hood. The "NASA" or "NACA" Ram Air hood was available as a no cost option. As you can imagine, there were not very many Mach 1's produced with the standard hood. Now you have a delima. If in fact, that is the original hood, you may have a rare Mustang on your hands. Do you want to keep the car original for it's collectability, or do you want the look of the Ram Air hood? The choice is yours! (You can always put the Ram Air Hood on and keep the original hood to retain any possible value at a later date).

I think - the base flat hood / no cost option pertained to 302 cars only

Not positive but I think ones you upgraded to a 351 the NASA hood was standard.

What engine code is your car?

If it were me . . . and that is not always a good example to follow. I would get the Ram air hood and have both hoods painted to match the car if you have a place to store the extra hood. With all the hardware this will run you about 750 bucks extra . . . but if you wait til after paint, you'll spend much more to do a hood swap. The non ram air hoods are getting harder and harder to find and I doubt they will ever be reproduced, so whatever you do, take care of yours and hold on to it.

Very Interesting!!Your right on, the car came with a 302 and the Marti report is on the way (standard report)so hopefully that will let me know(and I'll post back). I was starting to wig-out on having to get the hood fast but I feel a little more relaxed about it now, I thought the "Regular hood" was some sort of after collision repair fix or something. Going through 1000's of Mach 1 pictures I've only seen one over seas so far. I really love the look of the ram-air hoods though. If true (and you guys are pretty spot on) I'll keep the original hood AND get a ram-air and have them both painted.

Thanks for the Fantastic feedback! this IS a great site with great members...

Very Interesting!!Your right on, the car came with a 302 and the Marti report is on the way (standard report)so hopefully that will let me know(and I'll post back). I was starting to wig-out on having to get the hood fast but I feel a little more relaxed about it now, I thought the "Regular hood" was some sort of after collision repair fix or something. Going through 1000's of Mach 1 pictures I've only seen one over seas so far. I really love the look of the ram-air hoods though. If true (and you guys are pretty spot on) I'll keep the original hood AND get a ram-air and have them both painted.

Let me know if you need a hood.

I 'll see what I can do for you

Don

Let me know if you need a hood.

I 'll see what I can do for you

Don
I will Don,

Thanks,Robert

No not all Mach 1s came with the NASA hood. The NASA hood was a option on 71-73 Mustang. You should look into getting a Marti report for your car.It will tell you for sure if your car came with the NASA hood.
My car is an H code Mach ,no ram air hood functioning or not listed on my marti.

My car is an H code Mach ,no ram air hood functioning or not listed on my marti.
I believe because it's a H code Mach 1 it would have a NASA hood.

For a 73 H code Mach 1 it was standard and would not be listed on a marti

My 73 convert came with a flat hood. I spent a lot of time looking for a scooped hood. (Pre-internet, Pre-reproduction). My wife was mad, she liked the flat hood but after getting it put on and painted she loved it.

For a 73 H code Mach 1 it was standard and would not be listed on a marti
Why did Ford have to make the how & why reasoning of the options so tricky to figure out ?

Why did God have to make the how & why reasoning of females so tricky to figure out ?
Fixed the question for you to reflect a more important unknown....

In 73 only there was a hood option that included not only the naca hood but also the black ( or argent) "Mach 1" style paint treatment and the chrome.twist-locks. However this did NOT come with the functional ram-air components underhood.

I know this was available on mach 1s and convertibles...not sure about other body styles.

Consequently , cars equippd with this option became the only factory-produced versions to feature the two-tone hood that did not have any type of engine call-outs next to the scoops.

Emmissions restrictions prevented Ford from offering ram-air on any 4-V Mustang from late 72 and thru all of 73, and this option allowed the consumer to at least get the look of a factory ram-air car.

Some dealers (and customers) simply installed the actual underhood ram-air components after the fact from thier parts counter, and by simply applying the correct decal to the hood you could have a fully functioning ram -air set up that is 100% indistinguishable from a factory-produced set-up.

Back