It's a rimblow, duh!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Had the car in the shop as we're trying to find out what's leaking after the tranny was rebuilt.

The "young" mechanic pulls it into the bay and while showing me the leak, says your clock spring is bad. I just looked at him. He said, whenever I turned the wheel the horn honked.

I sort of laughed. Said it's a rimblow steering wheel and got the "huh" look. Even the shop owner laughed. He thought I was nuts as I was explaining to him how the rimblow works.

Kids!!!

I love it! I'm looking forward to the same thing to happen when I get my convertible inspected when I finish it.

What is not funny is having a rim blow on a car without power steering.

My 70 XR7 Convertible, 351c 4v 4 Speed...power brakes, no power steering. That thing was a bear to parallel park without blowing the horn.

Man that is annoying.

My 70 XR7 Convertible, 351c 4v 4 Speed...power brakes, no power steering. That thing was a bear to parallel park without blowing the horn.

Man that is annoying.
The visions in my head right now rofl

Man that is annoying.
Reading that brought back shades of my 70 Mach One, 351c 4v 4 speed same thing no power steering, parking lots and parallel parking were rough!!

Had the car in the shop as we're trying to find out what's leaking after the tranny was rebuilt.

The "young" mechanic pulls it into the bay and while showing me the leak, says your clock spring is bad. I just looked at him. He said, whenever I turned the wheel the horn honked.

I sort of laughed. Said it's a rimblow steering wheel and got the "huh" look. Even the shop owner laughed. He thought I was nuts as I was explaining to him how the rimblow works.

Kids!!!
Call me a Youngin' then because I had no idea what the heck you were talking about. So I had to look it up

2965305220_be38dd5b62.jpg

I had never heard of this. Nor do I think I've ever seen one in person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dad's R Code has Rim Blow and no power steering so horn will sound when you don't want it to. Also, back in 1974 when he bought his first Boss 351 he pulled up to the house and tried to blow the horn by pressing on the pads on the spokes and got mad that the horn didn't work and gripped the wheel in anger and the horn blew. He was embarrassed he didn't realize it was a rim blow.

Man that is annoying.
Reading that brought back shades of my 70 Mach One, 351c 4v 4 speed same thing no power steering, parking lots and parallel parking were rough!!
I'm losing faith in you guys

351 4V 4 speed cars ARE REAR STEER

They can be slid into position :D

Kids!!!
Yep the younger generation. That's like my son calling me and saying he's stuck at the mall because the door on the Escape won't open, I asked him if he tried both doors and he said he had. I arrived, pushed the button on the key pod, nothing so I used the key to open the door. My son was amazed that the key to start the car actually opened the door. A dead battery in a key pod stranded him. That was before I got my Mustang, he had never driven a car without a key pod. Different generation, but what he can do with a smart phone amazes me.

Jim

Kids!!!
Yep the younger generation. That's like my son calling me and saying he's stuck at the mall because the door on the Escape won't open, I asked him if he tried both doors and he said he had. I arrived, pushed the button on the key pod, nothing so I used the key to open the door. My son was amazed that the key to start the car actually opened the door. A dead battery in a key pod stranded him. That was before I got my Mustang, he had never driven a car without a key pod. Different generation, but what he can do with a smart phone amazes me.

Jim
Exactly. When was the last time you had to use a key to open the door.

Couple years ago my wife was driving our 69 vert back from a club meeting. I was in the passenger seat and noticed the reflective paint on the signs looked really bright. I glanced over and noticed the lit pony -- indicating the high beams were on. (Note: she drove a 69 mustang coupe from high school thru college for 6 years in the early 70's).

I said: "You should turn the high beams off." She started pulling on the turn signal!! YIKES!

She had forgotten the high beam switch was on the floor.....

Couple years ago my wife was driving our 69 vert back from a club meeting. I was in the passenger seat and noticed the reflective paint on the signs looked really bright. I glanced over and noticed the lit pony -- indicating the high beams were on. (Note: she drove a 69 mustang coupe from high school thru college for 6 years in the early 70's).

I said: "You should turn the high beams off." She started pulling on the turn signal!! YIKES!

She had forgotten the high beam switch was on the floor.....
Got to love old school.

Talking with a friend if mine yesterday who bought a Caddie SUV. The freakin seats vibrate to give you a warning.

I think we're all be driving the Audi in "I, Robot" before you know it.

Back