Why Only "3%"???!!!

73 CJ

Helllo Fellow Enthusiasts; If 71-73 Mach 1's were "Performance Cars"?!....Why are ONLY 3% Manual transmission ordered cars???!!!....I would NEVER own an automatic "Performance Car"!!!!...Were there that many "Girlie Men" in the early 70's!!!!....REAL MEN NEED 3 pedals!!!!!.....Mark

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mine will get a swap for a 3rd pedal soon

2cossj6.png

97 F150: wrecked, 96 Dodge 4x4: blown motor / donated to the base

88 Suburban 4x4 355 cid 8 inch lift: sold, 95 Celica 5 speed : sold

68 F750 391 cid : sold,  96 F350 7.3 diesel dually : sold

86 Chevy 1500 305 cid c1500: sold, 73 Mustang mach 1 466 cid 5 speed : under construction

89 F350 4x4 cummins swap : sold, 64 Dodge d600: gone

00 Excursion: traded, 72 Mustang mach 1 302: scrapped

73 Mustang coupe: scrapped, 73 ranchero gt

06 Honda crf 450x : sold, 04 Honda vtx 1800

88 Bronco xlt lariat: sold, 76 Charger: traded

95 F350 4x4: sold , 91 Crown Victoria 302: sold

02 Dakota: traded, 96 f250 powerstroke: parts truck

87 f700, 98 e350 powerstroke: sold

03 land rover: traded, 95 f350 dually: part out

95 f350 dually: traded, 94 f150 4x4: traded

97 f250: sold, 76 Maverick 302: sold

91 240sx rb25: sold, 86 firebird: sold

86 Trans Am: sold, 88 westernstar: sold

89 dodge d350: sold, 2000 Dakota 4x4: sold  

84 f350 3+3: sold, 90 bronco: partout

67 catalina, 64 chevy c60

64 jeep j200, 74 corvette stingray

79 Lincoln mark V, 2013 f350: goldilocks

Mine too. I've already swapped my 302 and C-4 in my '68 for a 393w and a TKO-600. Regardless of engine decision for my '73 Mach-1, I see a TKO in its future.

I think it was a different time... Automatic was seen as a feature not a "crutch" as some people would describe it now. I mean look at this whole auto parking thing right now everyone's go crazy for it on the focus but who knows what people will think in 40 years.

6s3las.jpg

Don't be a hater! ;)

Depends on what you are using it for, last time I checked the 1/4 mile guys were all running autos (for consistency)

The Nascar guys run manuals, I am not sure if this is in the rules or not. I can see where they would want the reliability of a manual and a lot of races they stay in 4th gear. Plus there is more power loss in an Auto.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Back in 'the day', when our cars were being produced and sold, most of the cars were purchased as daily drivers. That meant sometimes the wife or girlfirend would be driving the car. The automatic trans appealed to that other half and helped sell a bunch of cars. -As did other creature comforts like power steering and air conditioning. Anyway - I remember my mom referring to manual transmissions as 'truck transmissions'.

I prefer the manual for best gear control through the corners...

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Helllo Fellow Enthusiasts; If 71-73 Mach 1's were "Performance Cars"?!....Why are ONLY 3% Manual transmission ordered cars???!!!....I would NEVER own an automatic "Performance Car"!!!!...Were there that many "Girlie Men" in the early 70's!!!!....REAL MEN NEED 3 pedals!!!!!.....Mark

I can't speak for 71-72, but when I was looking at the "options" for my car (1973 Mustang Mach 1 H code) the Automatic Transmission was a STANDARD option, I don't know that it could be ordered as a manual (This being a 351-2V) I think only the Q Code for this year could come with a manual gearbox. Might explain why there are so few manuals!

Personally, my daily driver is a 6 spd, and there are days when I wish it was an automatic (specifically the ones where I'm stuck in LA bumper-to-bumper traffic) so having the 73 be automatic is what I wanted, something that I can just cruise in!

2013 Ford Focus SE Flex Fuel 5spd - Daily Driver

I think it was a different time... Automatic was seen as a feature not a "crutch" as some people would describe it now. I mean look at this whole auto parking thing right now everyone's go crazy for it on the focus but who knows what people will think in 40 years.

Yep it was different times. Automatics were considered "cool" and where in. They were an expensive option.

Jim

M code 71 Mach 1, 351 4V Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Trans, 3.5 rear

if you look at the Marti reports, its called "SelectShift Cruise-O-matic"

and if you read the sales brochures, you can select the gears you like, or use it as an automatic.

Iyman

1972 Mustang Convertable :run_horse:  [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1507]Visit My Garage[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page [button=https://www.facebook.com/MUSTANGCCNE]MCCNE FB Page[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page [button=http://www.mccne.com/]MCCNE Web Page[/button]

An automatic will produce quicker ET's in a straight line race than a standard (or that's what my race buds say). As for myself, I prefer a standard for crusin around town, but when it comes to long drives, or dragging...I want an automatic. And the older I get the better I like an automatic

if you look at the Marti reports, its called "Select-Shift-Omatic"

and if you read the sales brochures, you can select the gears you like, or use it as an automatic.

That's kinda misleading, since pretty much ALL of the automatics out there allow selection of at least "Low," "2nd," and "Drive." ;)

I have no experience with drag racing, but I can certainly see how an automatic might offer better E/Ts, because the driver just simply has to 'stand on it,' rather than clutching and shifting (which bleeds precious hundredths of seconds of acceleration).

I do, however, have lots of experience driving both standards and automatics - and I'm at the point in my life that I prefer automatics for the simplicity of the driving process. Sure, I enjoy a nice romp now and then with the third pedal and rowing through the gears... but one something I'm going to drive more often than not, I'll take the "slip-n-drip."

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I can't speak for 71-72, but when I was looking at the "options" for my car (1973 Mustang Mach 1 H code) the Automatic Transmission was a STANDARD option, I don't know that it could be ordered as a manual (This being a 351-2V) I think only the Q Code for this year could come with a manual gearbox. Might explain why there are so few manuals!

What document says this? not being a smart butt, just wondering. I'll check the engine to trans numbers when I get a chance.

Personally, my daily driver is a 6 spd, and there are days when I wish it was an automatic (specifically the ones where I'm stuck in LA bumper-to-bumper traffic) so having the 73 be automatic is what I wanted, something that I can just cruise in!

I hear ya and agree. The stop and go traffic jam on the interstate in a manual trans sucks! My daily driver is now an auto...first time in a long time for that to happen.

I think it all boils down to marketing and manufacturers putting things that will sell on the cars. The auto trans was a pricy option that 97% of buyers said "yes" to and backed their yes with dollars.

spacer.png

I got a "Good Chuckle" about the "Auto Park Feature"....I say, if "You CAN'T Park it, You Shouldn't Drive It!!!!!".....want till the auto park feature malfunctions & someone or car gets hurt/wrecked!!!!...Here come the Lawyers!!!!....Mark

I have to say as an ex-long haul trucker,I have pushed a clutch pedal more times than I care to remember.My F-150 & wifes car are automatics and @ 45 I have to say I enjoy them very much.There are times I wish the Mach 1 was a man. shift ,but I still enjoy it.:)

1_11_01_14_4_00_47.jpeg

460 , Edelbrock Performer carb. + intake , 204 / 214 cam , Pertronix Flamethrower 2 billet dizzy + coil , Crites long tubes , C6 .

See I agree but my situation is different. My daily driver (05 nissan frontier) is a 6 speed and while its probably one of the funest trucks ever for about the first year, not im regretting that but oh well, my 73 is a manual too and I'd like it to be my toy. just wish my truck was automatic now.

I notice many vintage cars are auto's and it was really a hot ticket back then. however the standard cars now seems to have more resale value to the right buyers.

Why an Automatic??

Cos, rowing through the gears in stop & go city traffic isn't a pleasurrable experience, nor a demonstration of "Manliness".

Hehheh, and some of us demonstrated our "maleness" by having our arm around the girl sitting beside us, grabbing things better than a shift knob.

Tubo

Miss May, 65 2+2 EFI 331 4R70W 3.55 trac-loc Not much origional remaining

Robert's 73 Vert 308 4R70W 3.25 trac-loc. EFI conversion & 8.8 Trac-Loc 3.31 started.

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it yet.

I find this thread really funny, especailly making a comment about automatics being girlie when in todays society half the people are to lazy to use their turn signals when making a lane change. But what I find most amusing is someoone living in the San Francisco Bay area calling people with performance automatics girlie men :D

Real American Muscle.....Go Navy! Go Mustang!

"The World is a dangerous place.

Not because of the people who are evil;

but because of the people who don’t do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

My garage: Updated 4/15/2012

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mach-1--2612

I like a stick...But in the middle of down town seattle...Give me a auto please...Steep hills at stop lights ...with lots of rain and oil slicked roads....No matter how good you are..You will burn some clutch or alot of tire at the hill lights...So steep you feel like you're launching in the shuttle..lol...Been in a 4x4 with a stick and i stuck it in low range at one light.....I know Jim and some of the other Wa state drivers know what im talking about...lol

Agree with tubo..It is nice having a auto with my gal in the car...But me alone on a country road..Give me the stick..hehe

I agree, I don't like automatics either. I had to order mine back in 72 to get a manual as there were none at any of the Indy area dealers. It does not bother me that most are automatics. I say have it the way that you want it. It just makes our cars with manuals more rare, not necessarily better. My first car was a Buick with a Dynaflow. That is what turned me against automatics and I have not had one since. Speaking of 3 pedals, someday I would like to drive a Model T and an old Chrysler product with the Fluid drive, just to see what they are like. They both had 3 pedals.

I find this thread really funny, especailly making a comment about automatics being girlie when in todays society half the people are to lazy to use their turn signals when making a lane change. But what I find most amusing is someoone living in the San Francisco Bay area calling people with performance automatics girlie men :D

If you LOVE Women like I DO!!!....What better place to live than the San Francisco Bay area...Where the women are STARVING 4 a REAL MAN ( ME)...that drive 3 pedal cars!!!....OHHHHHH...I just LOVE your BIG Gear shift KNOB!!!!.....Mark

I prefer the manual in my Mustang, traffic or not, regardless of weather. A manual transmission has better gear splits and requires MUCH less power to make it turn. A stock C-6 takes about 60 horsepower just to drive the transmission, a T-5 takes about 12 horsepower. Besides... any "proper" hot rod should have 3 pedals! :D

From the racing standpoint a manual transmission is far superior to an automatic in all forms of racing (Pro Stock, F1, Indycar, SCCA, Land Speed, NAPCAR all are nearly exclusively manual trans). A manual transmission is also MUCH harder on parts especially in drag racing. Most bracket drag racers prefer an automatic since they are easier on parts and require less driver input. Consistency from manual to auto is really a wash in a state of the art Stock or SuperStock eliminator car.

Mostly it boils down to what you prefer, I think if someone can't drive a manual transmission they shouldn't drive at all. :D

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Ford didnt introduce hydraulic clutches until around 2005, and the clutches had higher pedal pressure back in the 70's on bigger HP applications, and the top loader is not the smoothest tranni compared to a modern TK....so automatics were popular with a majority of Ford's paying customers. And the C6 was a reliable transmission for club/street drag racing.

I much prefer the manual transmission because it gives the driver more control in many different situations.

One reason why the automatic is superior for drag racing is the torque converter can give a 100% boost in torque at the starting line over a manual transmission by careful selection of the stall speed.

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

cactus.jpg.92e5d9d8700abc0ed60c8ccb3426248e.jpg