Why Only "3%"???!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 CJ 4 speed HIGHLY Optioned
Helllo Fellow Enthusiasts; If 71-73 Mach 1's were "Performance Cars"?!....Why are ONLY 3% Manual transmission ordered cars???!!!....I would NEVER own an automatic "Performance Car"!!!!...Were there that many "Girlie Men" in the early 70's!!!!....REAL MEN NEED 3 pedals!!!!!.....Mark

Mine too. I've already swapped my 302 and C-4 in my '68 for a 393w and a TKO-600. Regardless of engine decision for my '73 Mach-1, I see a TKO in its future.

I think it was a different time... Automatic was seen as a feature not a "crutch" as some people would describe it now. I mean look at this whole auto parking thing right now everyone's go crazy for it on the focus but who knows what people will think in 40 years.

Don't be a hater! ;)

Depends on what you are using it for, last time I checked the 1/4 mile guys were all running autos (for consistency)

The Nascar guys run manuals, I am not sure if this is in the rules or not. I can see where they would want the reliability of a manual and a lot of races they stay in 4th gear. Plus there is more power loss in an Auto.

Back in 'the day', when our cars were being produced and sold, most of the cars were purchased as daily drivers. That meant sometimes the wife or girlfirend would be driving the car. The automatic trans appealed to that other half and helped sell a bunch of cars. -As did other creature comforts like power steering and air conditioning. Anyway - I remember my mom referring to manual transmissions as 'truck transmissions'.

I prefer the manual for best gear control through the corners...

Ray

Helllo Fellow Enthusiasts; If 71-73 Mach 1's were "Performance Cars"?!....Why are ONLY 3% Manual transmission ordered cars???!!!....I would NEVER own an automatic "Performance Car"!!!!...Were there that many "Girlie Men" in the early 70's!!!!....REAL MEN NEED 3 pedals!!!!!.....Mark
I can't speak for 71-72, but when I was looking at the "options" for my car (1973 Mustang Mach 1 H code) the Automatic Transmission was a STANDARD option, I don't know that it could be ordered as a manual (This being a 351-2V) I think only the Q Code for this year could come with a manual gearbox. Might explain why there are so few manuals!

Personally, my daily driver is a 6 spd, and there are days when I wish it was an automatic (specifically the ones where I'm stuck in LA bumper-to-bumper traffic) so having the 73 be automatic is what I wanted, something that I can just cruise in!

I think it was a different time... Automatic was seen as a feature not a "crutch" as some people would describe it now. I mean look at this whole auto parking thing right now everyone's go crazy for it on the focus but who knows what people will think in 40 years.
Yep it was different times. Automatics were considered "cool" and where in. They were an expensive option.

if you look at the Marti reports, its called "SelectShift Cruise-O-matic"

and if you read the sales brochures, you can select the gears you like, or use it as an automatic.

Last edited by a moderator:
An automatic will produce quicker ET's in a straight line race than a standard (or that's what my race buds say). As for myself, I prefer a standard for crusin around town, but when it comes to long drives, or dragging...I want an automatic. And the older I get the better I like an automatic

Last edited by a moderator:
if you look at the Marti reports, its called "Select-Shift-Omatic"

and if you read the sales brochures, you can select the gears you like, or use it as an automatic.
That's kinda misleading, since pretty much ALL of the automatics out there allow selection of at least "Low," "2nd," and "Drive." ;)

I have no experience with drag racing, but I can certainly see how an automatic might offer better E/Ts, because the driver just simply has to 'stand on it,' rather than clutching and shifting (which bleeds precious hundredths of seconds of acceleration).

I do, however, have lots of experience driving both standards and automatics - and I'm at the point in my life that I prefer automatics for the simplicity of the driving process. Sure, I enjoy a nice romp now and then with the third pedal and rowing through the gears... but one something I'm going to drive more often than not, I'll take the "slip-n-drip."

I can't speak for 71-72, but when I was looking at the "options" for my car (1973 Mustang Mach 1 H code) the Automatic Transmission was a STANDARD option, I don't know that it could be ordered as a manual (This being a 351-2V) I think only the Q Code for this year could come with a manual gearbox. Might explain why there are so few manuals!
What document says this? not being a smart butt, just wondering. I'll check the engine to trans numbers when I get a chance.

Personally, my daily driver is a 6 spd, and there are days when I wish it was an automatic (specifically the ones where I'm stuck in LA bumper-to-bumper traffic) so having the 73 be automatic is what I wanted, something that I can just cruise in!
I hear ya and agree. The stop and go traffic jam on the interstate in a manual trans sucks! My daily driver is now an auto...first time in a long time for that to happen.

I think it all boils down to marketing and manufacturers putting things that will sell on the cars. The auto trans was a pricy option that 97% of buyers said "yes" to and backed their yes with dollars.

I got a "Good Chuckle" about the "Auto Park Feature"....I say, if "You CAN'T Park it, You Shouldn't Drive It!!!!!".....want till the auto park feature malfunctions & someone or car gets hurt/wrecked!!!!...Here come the Lawyers!!!!....Mark

I have to say as an ex-long haul trucker,I have pushed a clutch pedal more times than I care to remember.My F-150 & wifes car are automatics and @ 45 I have to say I enjoy them very much.There are times I wish the Mach 1 was a man. shift ,but I still enjoy it.:)

See I agree but my situation is different. My daily driver (05 nissan frontier) is a 6 speed and while its probably one of the funest trucks ever for about the first year, not im regretting that but oh well, my 73 is a manual too and I'd like it to be my toy. just wish my truck was automatic now.

I notice many vintage cars are auto's and it was really a hot ticket back then. however the standard cars now seems to have more resale value to the right buyers.

Why an Automatic??

Cos, rowing through the gears in stop & go city traffic isn't a pleasurrable experience, nor a demonstration of "Manliness".

Hehheh, and some of us demonstrated our "maleness" by having our arm around the girl sitting beside us, grabbing things better than a shift knob.

Tubo

I find this thread really funny, especailly making a comment about automatics being girlie when in todays society half the people are to lazy to use their turn signals when making a lane change. But what I find most amusing is someoone living in the San Francisco Bay area calling people with performance automatics girlie men :D

Back