Which intake/carb combo

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
Yes, I know there are 6.23 million combinations available. My set-up is for weekend burnouts with a couple trips to the strip, weekend driver, with decent street manners. I've got a 73 351C 2V with FMX, and I need to get some gears for the rear end. I have the CompCams XE262 with .218 - .224 duration, .513/.520 valve lift, 1400 - 5600RPM. Using a carb calculator I learned about in the WFQ, I believe a 600CFM carb would be the best match. But which one? Ease of installation and ease of operation are most important to me at this point.

Now, dual plane or single plane manifold? I've heard good things about air gap intakes. Anyone have experience with these set-ups on a 2V Cleveland?

All suggestions and comments are welcome!

Doc

Doc I believe the Edelbrock performer manifold is the rite choice for a mild street motor along with a Holley street avenger carb. The throttle cable and trans kick down rod attach to the Holley with ease. The performer manifold has all the vacuum ports as the stock manifold. With the Air gap manifold their mite be a clearance issue with stock flat hood. The performer is a dual plane that makes good power from idle to 5500 rpm which is good match for the cam. Mike

I have the 351 2v fmx. I went with the performer dual plane and 600 edlebrock. comp cam 494 valve lift, 218 duration,1 5/8 long tube headers.325 trac-loc. This may not be the best setup but what an improvement.I gained a lot of HP. My car was a dog before the rebuild.

Mark

If you don't do a lot of highway driving, the performer rpm and a 3.50 gear with the 600 cfm carb of your choice. If you want something more friendly on the highway then a regular performer with a 3.00 gear.

Alright, folks, I've decided on the Edelbrock Performer intake #2750 coupled to a Holley 80457 600cfm carb. I've read several articles that recommend that combination, along with your recommendations here. I'm ordering it first thing Monday morning, so if you have some more input, post it now. :)

Doc

I believe those are two GREAT choices for you, Doc and that you will be very happy based on your posted desired goals and what you had when you started:).

Sometimes folks (including me) forget what they intended to "build" when they get into it - - You have apparently stayed "true" to your desired outcome.

I am IMPRESSED!

BT

hard to say because so many people in other forums claims that CLEVELAND motors love big cams and low end gears.

if i were doing a cleveland in your situation, i'd i'd put a cam that rev'd to 6500 at least and a dual plane with a 750. and not to mention some 3.70+ gears.

there isn't nothing more for the pants in the seat feel than a new set of rear end gears baby!! good time to change to a posi if you haven't already.

Xoliex - I hear ya! As soon as the engine project is finished, I'm heading to the rear end and getting some 3.00 gears (at least) and putting in a traction-loc. As far as the Clevelands, I know that the 4V heads like lots of cam and high RPMs, but my 2V heads should be pretty happy with the milder cam and a top end around 5600 RPM. That should also keep her pretty comfortable as a weekend driver.

BT - thanks for the positive feedback. You're right, when you get going, it's easy to start getting stars in your eyes. For a moment, I was thinking about a dual 4-barrel setup with a high rise manifold, cutting a hole in the hood, etc. Then I woke up and remembered what I really wanted. Maybe the NEXT Mustang, however.... :cool:

Doc

Yes, THAT was the initial reason I got a second one. However, not having the focus that you apparently have, I ended up going pretty radical (472, 3:50 gears with heavy duty C6) on that one, too:).

Now, I am thinking about getting a third one....Woe is me!

BT

Back