SAFETY

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
Hey Guys..Since most of us are DIYers I just wanted to remind everyone that most of the stuff we use in the restoration & work on our stangs can be hazardous to our health. So any time your spraying paint,(even spray cans) Primer, Rust bullet, undercoating etc..Removing rust..sanding..grinding..& welding..always wear the appropriate protection...Heres a neat resperator I made for welding...Most masks won't fit under a welding helmet..I used an old A.O. half mask...a dish washer connection hose & a pvc tee...Works great & I would never be caught doing any welding with out it (I used a hot glue gun to glue the cartridges to the tee.

100_1893.JPG100_1896.JPG

I've never seen anything like that, Scott. What are the canisters, and where do you get them? So, they're good for not only paticulates, but fumes also? When I'm grinding/sanding rust, I'm always wondering if I should have something to protect my lungs. Looks worthwhile, for sure.

Doc

Q, that is awsome. Do you hook it up to shop air?

Jim
Thanks..No..NEVER EVER use your shop air (compressor) for breathing air..I just hang it off my belt or jacket...I plan to purchase one of these

http://www.turbineproducts.com/servlet/Detail?no=1 in the spring when I spray the interior & underside of the car with rust bullet

I've never seen anything like that, Scott. What are the canisters, and where do you get them? So, they're good for not only paticulates, but fumes also? When I'm grinding/sanding rust, I'm always wondering if I should have something to protect my lungs. Looks worthwhile, for sure.

Doc
The canisters are replacements for the 3m half mask I picked them up at lowes..Yes they are good for both..http://www.lowes.com/pd_216069-98-60923HA1-A_0__?productId=3093117&Ntt=dust+mask&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Ddust%2Bmask%26page%3D2

At the bare minium you should be wearing these for grinding & sanding

http://www.lowes.com/pd_272094-98-8511_0__?productId=3029626&Ntt=dust+mask&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Ddust%2Bmask

There the ones I use, Don't do anymore rust busting with out something on..If you were in my shop & didn't wear a dust mask while sanding & grinding you would be going home for the day !!

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Eastwood carries a couple of different systems, saw them in their catalog today. One is the hooby air system that can run 1 or 2 masks. The other that is fairly new is the SAS system that uses shop air and filters it again to make OSHA suitable air. I believe the logic is if you air is dry and clean enough for painting then with a little more filtration is it safe. The nice thing about the SAS system is the additional chuck on your belt for attaching you paint gun hose (only one hose to drag around). The nice thing about the system in Scott's link is the price is very reasonable for a fresh air system with a 50' hose you would be good to go.

Charles

PS: I will be using a fresh air system for all of my autobody paint work, the old style repsirators that we use in construction everyday don't seal well enough for Isocyonate paints...

Eastwood carries a couple of different systems, saw them in their catalog today. One is the hooby air system that can run 1 or 2 masks. The other that is fairly new is the SAS system that uses shop air and filters it again to make OSHA suitable air. I believe the logic is if you air is dry and clean enough for painting then with a little more filtration is it safe. The nice thing about the SAS system is the additional chuck on your belt for attaching you paint gun hose (only one hose to drag around). The nice thing about the system in Scott's link is the price is very reasonable for a fresh air system with a 50' hose you would be good to go.

Charles

PS: I will be using a fresh air system for all of my autobody paint work, the old style repsirators that we use in construction everyday don't seal well enough for Isocyonate paints...
Good Move Charles !! I've seen the sas system installed in a few shops every install I saw used a carbon monoxide alarm & also went through a seperate air dryer system..They work very well in that type of production enviroment..But for home / hobby use I wouldn't be comfortable without having the alarm..dryer..& having my compressor in a seperate location away from the work area. For me I want to be able to put my air supply system outside, run my hose though the wall & know I'm breathing fresh outside air. I can deal with the extra hose..Bottom line It's all about safety & not getting sick from our hobby passion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Scott,

Is that glue holding the fitting to the mask? If so, how bout the hazardous chemical(s) released into the mask? May be odorless and still leaking? Fly'n high after welding? :p

Here's a safety tip when doing front springs in the garage with correct specialty tools but off brands that may not be made with superior metals. The kind that you find in Checkers auto or from China. Anyhow, you won't catch me doing springs without these even if I'm using Snap-on compression tools :D

Fullface Helmet and Bulletproof vest

16iyxq0.jpg

Hey Scott,

Is that glue holding the fitting to the mask? If so, how bout the hazardous chemical(s) released into the mask? May be odorless and still leaking? Fly'n high after welding? :p

Here's a safety tip when doing front springs in the garage with correct specialty tools but off brands that may not be made with superior metals. The kind that you find in Checkers auto or from China. Anyhow, you won't catch me doing springs without these even if I'm using Snap-on compression tools :D

16iyxq0.jpg
DJ...I used non toxic hot melt glue sticks made for kid use on crafts...you can find them at wally world..& I let the mask sit for a week before the first use. Nice set up for the spring removal !! Now thats what I call preventative maintanance !

Thanks Scott!.. You´re very right... Even if we dont do that for a living and we don´t expose to all this harmful process everyday, enyone who, for instance, apply PU paint, clear coat and tha killer antirust acids with a spraygun, could notice how harmful those things are.

For the record, i used to be like a "don´t care" kinda guy untill... doing some MIG welding a brace went into my shoe, throw my skin and even hurt my feet bone... Had to go to the doctor, páinful treatment and so... Another common injury when MIG welding is the radiation burns...

Well... we should realice the danger in all this type of jobs...

Good topic...I know a few old school body guys that have breathing problems, lung cancer or emphysema now do to poor safety habits.

DJ's right also...those springs are dangerous! I've seen similar springs that come from big truck air brake chambers do some serious damage to personnel and property! Be careful, guys!

My PPE (personal protection equipment) for doing almost anything in the garage, starts with a head cap that I picked up from my army days, then I don my latex gloves, then the leather gloves, next the safety glasses, the air filter mask and the ear muffs and when I'm using the fastest rust removing tool I've ever seen aka angle grinder at 30,000 rpm with a wire wheel, I add the face shield.

It's just a habit now, and when I'm done or need a break, it all comes off pretty quick. Sure beats the old days of having to scrub my hands with lava soap..

DSC06853.JPG

My PPE (personal protection equipment) for doing almost anything in the garage, starts with a head cap that I picked up from my army days, then I don my latex gloves, then the leather gloves, next the safety glasses, the air filter mask and the ear muffs and when I'm using the fastest rust removing tool I've ever seen aka angle grinder at 30,000 rpm with a wire wheel, I add the face shield.

It's just a habit now, and when I'm done or need a break, it all comes off pretty quick. Sure beats the old days of having to scrub my hands with lava soap..
PERFECT ! Thats what I'm talking about !:)

With your care you´re going to live 500 years! :p

No.. seriosely.. that´s what we all should do...

Unfortunately most of the idea from wearing this level of protection comes from experience. I suppose I could have shown the scar from when a sanding disc came off the angle grinder and went through my pants to my upper thigh but that'd be gross.

That is why this forum is so good. I can't afford to learn by doing all of the mistakes myself. Remember, if you do something right, you don't learn anything. However, if you do something wrong, you learn how not to do it next time.

[/align]

That is why this forum is so good. I can't afford to learn by doing all of the mistakes myself. Remember, if you do something right, you don't learn anything. However, if you do something wrong, you learn how not to do it next time.

That is so true, trust me in my world if it can go wrong it will.

Hey Scott,

16iyxq0.jpg
Yea that comes in handy, my first front end rebuild on my 72 Mach 1 20 plus years ago i had a hot date that night and was in a hurry, didnt have spring tool so i made my own :idea: Ran inside to bedroom closet grabbed four wire coat hangers and away i went,jacked lower control arm up to compress spring and run the hangers through and around and twisted them together ( one on each side of spring ) and let pressure off jack used a set of pliers to grab spring and pull out sat it down real easy.Held great until i went to put back in and one popped loose and went flying,almost took my head off.

Yea that comes in handy, my first front end rebuild on my 72 Mach 1 20 plus years ago i had a hot date that night and was in a hurry, didnt have spring tool so i made my own :idea: Ran inside to bedroom closet grabbed four wire coat hangers and away i went,jacked lower control arm up to compress spring and run the hangers through and around and twisted them together ( one on each side of spring ) and let pressure off jack used a set of pliers to grab spring and pull out sat it down real easy.Held great until i went to put back in and one popped loose and went flying,almost took my head off.
Wow, that's insane! The pressure on these springs are so great that I can't imagine any gauge wire coat hanger compressing the springs. I'm so GLAD.......it missed the Mustang :angel: :D All jokes aside, good to see you can talk about it today.

Another safety tip if not already mentioned is to wear appropriate welding aprons or shirts. This also applies to grinding metal with the sparks directed your way. A spark from welding caught my shirt on fire and boy it was a scary garage moment. I did the whole drop and roll thing. That's how bad my shirt was on fire. I think I've got thick skin cause not a mark on me, but by the looks of the fire, you'd think I'd have 2nd deg burns.

I watched a show the other day and the guy using the drill press wore gloves to protect his hands. Well, the glove that was suppose to protect his hand got caught on the drill bit and it almost tore his fingers off. The drill press grabbed on to that glove like a pitbull's bite and never let go. The guy was stuck to the machine and blood dripping all over the place. After removing him from the drill press, left over meat from his hand was on the drill bit and some even flung onto the wall and cabinets. So the message hear is, never wear loose clothing around spinning objects. I cringe whenever I see metal engine fan blades without the shroud and people are all over the engine admiring it's rumble or what not.

Wow, that's insane! The pressure on these springs are so great that I can't imagine any gauge wire coat hanger compressing the springs. I'm so GLAD.......it missed the Mustang :angel: :D All jokes aside, good to see you can talk about it today.

Another safety tip if not already mentioned is to wear appropriate welding aprons or shirts. This also applies to grinding metal with the sparks directed your way. A spark from welding caught my shirt on fire and boy it was a scary garage moment. I did the whole drop and roll thing. That's how bad my shirt was on fire. I think I've got thick skin cause not a mark on me, but by the looks of the fire, you'd think I'd have 2nd deg burns.

I watched a show the other day and the guy using the drill press wore gloves to protect his hands. Well, the glove that was suppose to protect his hand got caught on the drill bit and it almost tore his fingers off. The drill press grabbed on to that glove like a pitbull's bite and never let go. The guy was stuck to the machine and blood dripping all over the place. After removing him from the drill press, left over meat from his hand was on the drill bit and some even flung onto the wall and cabinets. So the message hear is, never wear loose clothing around spinning objects. I cringe whenever I see metal engine fan blades without the shroud and people are all over the engine admiring it's rumble or what not.
Yea i will say not one of my better idea's :s cleared the mustang with no problem :D tough part was compressing the spring again rofl . some things i have done to work on a car it is amazing i am still here,course i think we might all have a few stories on that

Back