1972 Sportsroof build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Sportsroof
2010 Mustang GT
Well I figured I would start up a little blog here to keep up with my progress on the car. Right now it is still in the tear down phase, started about a week ago. The car looks mostly solid. Some small/anticipated repairs needed in the cowl area, some pinholes in the floor, and a semi frustrating spot in the drip rail area. I haven't gotten the engine out yet, that is next week. I'm looking around for a media blasting place to strip the car down soon. I think I should start metal repair/modification the beginning of next month. Here are some pictures so far. I've got just about everything torn down except the glass and drivetrain.

Also just got the email from UPS that my Elite Marti Report should be here next week. Pretty excited about that.

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

I remember my car looking like that when I tore her down in 2009. Brings back many memories. Good luck! Keep us all posted. Are you building original or custom?

Getting overwhelmed is definitely an issue with these projects. Best thing to do is to try and focus on one thing at a time so as not to get lost. I still jump around on mine and get lost sometimes., But when I actually make a plan and stick to it things go smoothly. Good luck and keep the updates coming!

I'm planning on making this car a serious performer. It won't be ultra nice, I plan on beating on it, driving in the rain, etc. I plan on doing a lot more drag racing, some autocross, and some road coarse action with it. I'm planning on a 408C with about 600 hp. The front suspension will be global west (they have a 71-73 specific coilover kit now), and rear will still be leaf springs, looking at that Maier setup. It will have a roll cage and some carbon fiber interior panels. Four wheel disc brakes of course. I will upgrade the interior with the Deluxe stuff, as well as power windows, A/C, etc. My time table is about 5-6 years, mostly due to financial reasons. It will be painted a color similar to Candy Brandywine.

I'm planning on making this car a serious performer. It won't be ultra nice, I plan on beating on it, driving in the rain, etc. I plan on doing a lot more drag racing, some autocross, and some road coarse action with it. I'm planning on a 408C with about 600 hp. The front suspension will be global west (they have a 71-73 specific coilover kit now), and rear will still be leaf springs, looking at that Maier setup. It will have a roll cage and some carbon fiber interior panels. Four wheel disc brakes of course. I will upgrade the interior with the Deluxe stuff, as well as power windows, A/C, etc. My time table is about 5-6 years, mostly due to financial reasons. It will be painted a color similar to Candy Brandywine.
Sounds like it'll be pretty badass!

Wow, amazing to see what people do to their cars and all the different ways you can take them. Sky really is the limit! Best of luck on the journey, and obviously, keep those pictures coming!!

It is just primered red. No update really, I have the car 100% torn apart now. I just need to get a mig welder now to start the metal repair. I have a small stick welder but it sucks and is difficult to use. I'll be buying some replacement sheetmetal soon, and selling a lot of stuff from the car that I know I won't be reusing.

hey, it all takes time man, how hard was it to pull the dashboard, im thinking of doing the same to mine and stripping it down, never pulled a dash yet.

The dash isn't that hard. The actual frame is only held in my a few bolts. The steering column was stubborn, but that may have been because I never removed one before. I just took a lot of pictures as I went along.

It is just primered red. No update really, I have the car 100% torn apart now. I just need to get a mig welder now to start the metal repair. I have a small stick welder but it sucks and is difficult to use. I'll be buying some replacement sheetmetal soon, and selling a lot of stuff from the car that I know I won't be reusing.
I've been quite happy with my Eastwood mig welder I bought last year. Decent price too.

Back