question about hood springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a 1971 mustang, are the hood hinges and springs the same for the regular hood and the Ram Air Hood? At your site I only saw one sping listed.
I have heard conflicting stories on the flat and round springs but from what I have found it was only the year model that were not the same, nothing to do with ram air or not. Just for practical purposes and may not be correct but just to explain what I'm saying is a 71 had flat spring and a 72 had round ones.

On a 1971 mustang, are the hood hinges and springs the same for the regular hood and the Ram Air Hood? At your site I only saw one sping listed.
I have heard conflicting stories on the flat and round springs but from what I have found it was only the year model that were not the same, nothing to do with ram air or not. Just for practical purposes and may not be correct but just to explain what I'm saying is a 71 had flat spring and a 72 had round ones.
So, i can use the same hood hinges and springs that I am currently using for my flat hood with the Ram Air hood?

I changed out my old hood for a NASA hood and used the same hinges and springs. It works fine.

All 71-3's with nasa hood had flat sided springs. They were stronger than standard springs to support the nasa hood weight and ram air plenum.

They are not being made. I have sent samples to a supplier and they sent them to the spring manufacturer. They do not want to make the flat sided springs. They tested the new standard VS. used nasa springs. They said the new springs were just as strong and the only difference is the look. I have not personally tried them yet but have sold many with no complaints.

I have had several mach 1's with standard springs over the years. Some hoods stayed up, some were touchy and some were dangerous. I think it depends on the spring itself. Try your springs but be careful.

On your paint stripping. If you use the chemical stripper, keep it away from seams it can seep into.

Don

Timely topic for me, as we're switching from stock to NASA hoods, too. I saw a set of springs yesterday listed as "for Ram Air" and wondered whether I needed to add item another item to my parts list. Thanks, 71fastback and Machman for crossing one more off my list!

Mark

Is that a stronger spring? Today i look at the springs on my car. Since i put in a ram air system the springs can be a little bit stronger, especialy when the engin is cold :huh:. I make a pic from my springs, not round.

IMAG0132.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My hood has new hinges and springs but the hood will not stay up. Can the springs be turned to be tighter to hold the hood up? 1972 mustang

My hood has new hinges and springs but the hood will not stay up. Can the springs be turned to be tighter to hold the hood up? 1972 mustang
Try shortening them up. Tie wrap a couple of the winds together and see if it helps.

Ask me how I know.

And...you can always ask Doc. I understand he has a hard time keeping his hood down.

"OUCH"

There is no adjustment on the spings

Standard or NASA hood

I would not recommend a tie wrap againt spring pressure / hood weight

Does the hood open, close and sit correctly when closed?

If the hinges are adjusted wrong it changes the pressure on the springs

I have a set of the original NASA springs

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Try shortening them up. Tie wrap a couple of the winds together and see if it helps.

Ask me how I know.

And...you can always ask Doc. I understand he has a hard time keeping his hood down.

"OUCH"
Yep, she bent over like Pamela Anderson picking up dollars after her set:

Hood damage (Small).jpg

Back