Trans gear vs. Rear Gear vs. RPM vs. MPH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
Attached below is my spreadsheet that shows transmission gear ratios vs. rear end ratios vs. various mph speeds vs. RPM at each speed, and much more.

The data is presented in easy to read tables.

It's a work in progress that I keep updating when I think of other stuff to add.

Enjoy. ;)

Updated 07 Oct 2015 with additional transmissions on spreadsheet and added a .pdf version for easy printout.

Trans & Rear Gear Ratios.xlsx

Trans & Rear Gear Ratios 2015-10-07.pdf

Attachments

• Trans & Rear Gear Ratios.xlsx
    63.2 KB · Views: 249
  • Trans & Rear Gear Ratios 2015-10-07.pdf
    207.4 KB · Views: 34
Thanks Don C. You should see the spreadsheet that I copied this "tab" out of where all the info is linked back and forth so I know which of my cars get which engine, trans, rear, console, hood, seats, etc.

BTW, the original trans gears used on this spreadsheet came from the tire spreadsheet you posted on here. ;)

In a nut shell a good all around rear gear is 3.50:1 for a street driven car with a slightly aggressive intent. That ratio is what I would recommend if I could only recommend one general purpose ratio.

Don,

This is a wealth of information - thanks for putting this together and sharing with the group! The spreadsheet showed me my Tremec 3550 / 3.0 set up should be just about right based on the SLR theory :D!

Butch

Where's the tremecs?

I updated the original post at the top with a new spreadsheet that contains additional transmissions and also added a .pdf version of the same for easy printing.

My mechanic reviewed all of the data and determined the 2.75 now in my car

is the best rear gear for my setup. This car screams on city streets with the 2.75,

but I still want to try the 3.50 I got from Don.

mike

is the best rear gear for my setup. This car screams on city streets with the 2.75,

mike
Go 3.50 and don't look back!!

mike
Go 3.50 and don't look back!!
I can start off in third gear now. Done it a few times when I missed

first. A little sluggish but moves along.

mike

Back