521 Alum Headed Motor at the track - did some shakedown passes

Guest BigPinoyHunk

Glad to hear you're on the road & getting it dialed in again.:)

1_11_01_14_4_00_47.jpeg

460 , Edelbrock Performer carb. + intake , 204 / 214 cam , Pertronix Flamethrower 2 billet dizzy + coil , Crites long tubes , C6 .

Guest BigPinoyHunk

yup thanks, also its scary and new when you are hitting 124mph in such a short distance. i'll probably poop myself when i decided on a 4.11 gear.

Congrats on getting the car back out and on the track. Nice post on "the other site". :D It sounds like you need more air gap in the clutch to keep it from creeping through the beams. I have always heard you want to run more air pressure in a drag radial than a typical slick, it may be why the car feels squirrely on the high end. Does the car leave straight? How's the front end alignment? Leaving hard is always a balance between clutch slippage and wheel spin with a manual trans drag car. If you dead hook the tire you'll pull the motor down too far, if the clutch grabs too hard you could spin the tires too much. Are you running an adjustable pressure plate?

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Guest BigPinoyHunk

Congrats on getting the car back out and on the track. Nice post on "the other site". :D It sounds like you need more air gap in the clutch to keep it from creeping through the beams. I have always heard you want to run more air pressure in a drag radial than a typical slick, it may be why the car feels squirrely on the high end. Does the car leave straight? How's the front end alignment? Leaving hard is always a balance between clutch slippage and wheel spin with a manual trans drag car. If you dead hook the tire you'll pull the motor down too far, if the clutch grabs too hard you could spin the tires too much. Are you running an adjustable pressure plate?

i'm now at the point where i have to run tubes in my slicks. i need to run lower pressure to hook good but i get squirely. i'm going to get some tubes and try to adjust this clutch.

i don't think my pressure plates are adjustable but i'm going to try to adjust the cable even more.

yup thanks, also its scary and new when you are hitting 124mph in such a short distance. i'll probably poop myself when i decided on a 4.11 gear.

Maybe a parachute on the rear bumper and some "depends" for the drivers seat!lollerz

1_11_01_14_4_00_47.jpeg

460 , Edelbrock Performer carb. + intake , 204 / 214 cam , Pertronix Flamethrower 2 billet dizzy + coil , Crites long tubes , C6 .

Guest BigPinoyHunk

Sounds like your dialing it in...good luck on ford vs chevy night

i'm in between just buying tubes for my current tires or getting a little bit wider slick with the applicable tube.

Ollie ,I knew you'd forgive me.I could'nt resist the depends comment!:P Eric

1_11_01_14_4_00_47.jpeg

Guest BigPinoyHunk

i should have the new dizzy here sometime next week and that should cure the idle issue and after my burnout idling issue. we are aiming for 14-16i timing and 28 tot timing.

i got the clutch adjusted more and i'm getting full'ish disengagement. at the track it was going thru its break in period so it started not fully disengaging. now its all tightened up and making sure i ain't preloading the TB much if at all,

i am selling the 28x10.5-15 stiff slicks and bought some 28x10.5w-15 slicks thats 1.4 inch total section width wider and 1 inch wider in thread and not to mention even stiffer sidewalls and different compound of material. and i'm going to run tubes to strengthen the side walls more and not feel swirly on the big end. those side to side movement is scary.

with that, i'm going to keep putting the wheels up and launch this thing at 4k at the christmas tree. i did find that "DEEP STAGING" IS working best for me. i can stab down a .009 - .041 reaction time when i deep stage instead of my regular non deep staging and get a .090 reaction time.

i can stab down a .009 - .041 reaction time when i deep stage instead of my regular non deep staging and get a .090 reaction time.

wow that's good my first and only time so far down the strip was with a stock excursion and my reaction time was .930 lol and a time of 12.20 1/8 mile on old tires and a/c was forgotten on

2cossj6.png

97 F150: wrecked, 96 Dodge 4x4: blown motor / donated to the base

88 Suburban 4x4 355 cid 8 inch lift: sold, 95 Celica 5 speed : sold

68 F750 391 cid : sold,  96 F350 7.3 diesel dually : sold

86 Chevy 1500 305 cid c1500: sold, 73 Mustang mach 1 466 cid 5 speed : under construction

89 F350 4x4 cummins swap : sold, 64 Dodge d600: gone

00 Excursion: traded, 72 Mustang mach 1 302: scrapped

73 Mustang coupe: scrapped, 73 ranchero gt

06 Honda crf 450x : sold, 04 Honda vtx 1800

88 Bronco xlt lariat: sold, 76 Charger: traded

95 F350 4x4: sold , 91 Crown Victoria 302: sold

02 Dakota: traded, 96 f250 powerstroke: parts truck

87 f700, 98 e350 powerstroke: sold

03 land rover: traded, 95 f350 dually: part out

95 f350 dually: traded, 94 f150 4x4: traded

97 f250: sold, 76 Maverick 302: sold

91 240sx rb25: sold, 86 firebird: sold

86 Trans Am: sold, 88 westernstar: sold

89 dodge d350: sold, 2000 Dakota 4x4: sold  

84 f350 3+3: sold, 90 bronco: partout

67 catalina, 64 chevy c60

64 jeep j200, 74 corvette stingray

79 Lincoln mark V, 2013 f350: goldilocks

Guest BigPinoyHunk

i can stab down a .009 - .041 reaction time when i deep stage instead of my regular non deep staging and get a .090 reaction time.

wow that's good my first and only time so far down the strip was with a stock excursion and my reaction time was .930 lol and a time of 12.20 1/8 mile on old tires and a/c was forgotten on

it takes alot of seat time in the car. i must of taken at least 100 passes in the mustang now and i'm still learning the car. i have found that i do the BEST when i deep stage when most others do better when they swallow stage.

• 1 year later...