My Next Project (V Code 71 Roadrunner)

jbojo

Pulled the trigger on the G coded 440-6 HP motor today. Plans are to bore it 30 over and put forged 440HP pistons in. This motor has the 440 6 pack rods so I don't plan to change them out. The CR will be 10.25 : 1 and will be using a Comp Cams Nostalgia Plus Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft. A little more cam than the original but still has the 70's rumble sound for that period. The block has already been magna-fluxed and checked for cracks and is a still a STD bore but will bore to 30 over to clean up the cylinders. The mains have also been lined bored and was told that they were pretty straight and didn't need much. Getting pumped to get this one back on the road. Looking for a rotisserie now to do all the body work.

As I mentioned the PO put a 360 in it and a 727 auto tranny but left the brake and clutch assembly still in it. The 4 speed with the Pistol Grip shifter is in the trunk and a 69 440 HP on an engine stand but has a 4V carb because it was too hard to tune the deuces. I'll save that motor for a backup. :)

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome. Photos are in order when you have a chance. From memory those cams a slightly larger than a mopar purple cam shaft. Should work well and be easy to live with.

He has all the vices I admire and none of the virtues I despise

Awesome. Photos are in order when you have a chance. From memory those cams a slightly larger than a mopar purple cam shaft. Should work well and be easy to live with.

Will do when I can get pics of the motor. These came in today about an hour ago. They are a pair of outboard carbs, I have the complete set now.

outboard.thumb.JPG.38b31f29370cddb198980c9c60fdf86c.JPG

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Enjoying this thread!

I'm a big Mopar fan and I was lucky to test drive a couple last year for a friend.

vwsen6.jpg

wtfsy.jpg

:goodpost:

:thankyouyellow:

Paul

73 Grande

351C 2v

Now 4v Carb/Cam/headers/T5

Gasoline is for washing parts.

Alcohol is for drinking.

Nitomethane is for racing!

Work in Progress photos here:

Last Update: 4/23/16

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/therocket366/library/?sort=3&page=1

Enjoying this thread!

I'm a big Mopar fan and I was lucky to test drive a couple last year for a friend.

vwsen6.jpg

wtfsy.jpg

:goodpost:

So how was that 440? those cars look really nice.

:thankyouyellow:

Paul

So how was that 440? those cars look really nice.

-john

(jbojo)

The GTX 440 4V Auto. had amazing torque in stock form. It was so easy to break the tires loose even when rolling 20mph!

The RRunner 383 4V had great power as well. It was backed up by a four speed manual that was mixed by one of those

pistol-grip shifters that was so sloppy I couldn't find the gears and that kinda ruined the experience.

Those were great cars though very clean originals and real head-turners!

I'm thankful to have driven them both!

Paul

73 Grande

351C 2v

Alcohol is for drinking.

I am loving this thread. More value to this site. I am learning non-stop about my Mustang and now learning about Mopar, which may be my next project in a few years. :)

1971 M-code Mach 1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Thx Guys,

Yeah this is a whole new learning process as locating the period correct parts are hard to find. I am shooting to do this is less than 2 yrs once I have the car in my garage. The AZ sun has been good to the metal but rough on the soft parts. I already bought a dash insert for the passenger side. Had a steering wheel but that fell through. Couple of pics of the interior.

100_0142.thumb.JPG.7aa2d0cc4b4e29edb0bcc183c30ebd6c.JPG

100_0140.thumb.JPG.e248ed3328fce56f78cff2030d375d59.JPG

100_0141.thumb.JPG.c5b7e4212eecc78c267b0d1d8b9e43a8.JPG

-john

(jbojo)

A lot of Aussie cars get baked like this. Every rubber all the plastic any where in the car just goes hard and falls to pieces. Interiors the same even the seat foam seems to cook and go hard and then just turns into yellow dust every time you touch it. Really enjoying this thread. I think all car guys have a interest in Mopar muscle. Love em or Hate they are always respected.

Ouch interior is pretty crispy!

My stang had the same crispy interior 2 years ago and

now just a memory it just takes parts and time.

Hey that's the fun part

Paul

73 Grande

351C 2v

Alcohol is for drinking.

My Mustang was baked like this but not quite as bad. I have managed to source most of the interior and have most of the drive train now, correct castings and dates. The block is the 440-6 HP one and is being bored out now. Crank will probably need the journal surfaces turned too. Couple more pics, The motor is the 360 that they put in.

100_0146.thumb.JPG.1808b86fb739c4f14d30838e8fc4ce71.JPG

100_0145.thumb.JPG.30b88aaf5cea95ba17415487391bc42b.JPG

100_0151.thumb.JPG.6e4d75618d4d540e62fec6da2649109c.JPG

-john

(jbojo)

My Mustang was baked like this but not quite as bad. I have managed to source most of the interior and have most of the drive train now, correct castings and dates. The block is the 440-6 HP one and is being bored out now. Crank will probably need the journal surfaces turned too. Couple more pics, The motor is the 360 that they put in.

If it wasn't for a huge ocean I would take that LA engine of your hands pretty quick.

If it wasn't for a huge ocean I would take that LA engine of your hands pretty quick.

That motor is from a Arizona State Patrol car that was totalled so it's not an ordinary one but one built for law enforcement vehicles. If you want it it's yours. I was just going to get rid of it.

-john

(jbojo)

This was in the parking lot at dinner the other night......

1e2qlt.jpg

Nice looking car, thx for sharing

-john

(jbojo)

That motor is from a Arizona State Patrol car that was totalled so it's not an ordinary one but one built for law enforcement vehicles. If you want it it's yours. I was just going to get rid of it.

Im sure Kurt would love to have a real 360 cop car motor for the Satellite. I guess timing is everything. Can't wait to see that 440 6 pack done.

adpic.jpg

This is the look that I am shooting for minus the stripes as it didn't come that way. Been looking at Wheel choices and there are just so many. Any suggestions?

look.jpg.58e5a4a2e052a47d01b0bac63ec554d6.jpg

-john

(jbojo)

Wow that is so awesome John 😎[THUMBS UP SIGN] That color is perfect for it[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]😎 Regards Lars

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73 😎

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73:whistling:

I want one.....

1971 M-code Mach 1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Wow that photo gave me a tingling in my gentleman's area lol. For what its worth Stock wheels or centreline Autodags would be my choice of wheels period correct classics.

I was able to get the fender tag numbers and this is what it came with. Funny that it doesn't have the rear axle code.

Code Description

E87 440-6 Barrel High Performance

D21 Heavy Duty 4-Speed Manual Transmission

RM23

R = Plymouth Road Runner

M = Medium

23 = 2 Door Hardtop

V1R

V = 440 385HP 3-2BBL 8 CYL

1 = 1971

R = Windsor, ONT, CAN

126737 Sequence Number '126737'

GY3

Paint Code: Citra Yella (2.4% of production was this color, 3,369 made)

M2X9

Trim Grade/Style/Color

M = Medium

2 = Vinyl Bench

X9 = Black

TX9 Upper Door Frame: Black / Black Velvet

926 Date Built: 9 / 26 / 1970

143829 Order Number: 143829

V4X Roof Type OR Color: Black Canopy Vinyl Roof

U Built to Specifications for USA Order

26 26 in. Radiator

B51 Power Brakes

S81 Simulated Wood Steering Wheel

G33 Left Hand Outside Mirror - Manual / Chrome

M21 Roof Drip Rail Moldings

N41 Duel Exhaust w/o Tips

N85 Tachometer

N96 Fresh Air Hood

R11 Music Master Radio AM

END End of Codes

-john

(jbojo)

When I was doing some research around a 71 superbee that was for sale here I think I remember reading that 3.23 was standard on autos and 3.55 on 4 speeds for most chargers superbees gtx and roadrunners. This a generalisation of cause and it could be anything.

The Galen reports break down everything really well just like a Marti report would also be a great reference for your resto

I have the 4.10 sure grip Dana 60 (A32). If I do make any modifications it would be with a GV like I did to the Mustang but I want to avoid doing this. Just won't be too freeway friendly. When I decoded the tag it just has the dual exhaust with turndowns, not the cool tips that I like. The stock car came with this rear:

A33 - 3.54 (stock)

Options

A31 - 3.91 (Performance)

A32 - 4.10 (High Performance)

With GV the rear would be 3.20 in OD.

-john

(jbojo)

Maybe go 3.5. It will look stock and you can drive it about.Easy enough to swap back to 4.10. My friend had 2 diffs for his charger the stock 1 with deep gears and another with 3.23s.