What would it take for you to sell it.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumit

Reaction score
My Car
1973 351c coupe
Recently I've had people say I should sell my 73 and use the money to buy a house. Including my parents who gave me the car. The only one who says keep it is my girlfriend. Currently I own an apartment and can't wait to get into a house but not at the cost of my stang.

Basically my question is would you sell your car to get a few years ahead in life?

Nope.

This is my 'next step ahead' point in life. I've done my military time (so did my wife), lived from paycheck to paycheck, did the whole "moving in the right direction and took pay cuts to keep my job" contractor work (about 10 years ago), and finally landed a career-worthy job almost 6 years ago. Things are going rather well for me right now... not so well that I don't have to work or anything like that... but well enough.

She gets a pool - I get my Mach 1 (and get to keep my Jeep, too. ;) :D )

What would it take for me to sell it? I can't think of a single thing at this point - Not even Gas Monkey or Count's Kustoms could make a sweet enough offer (nor would they want to, at this point - honestly rofl)

Nope, I've always been a car guy and have always had a project. There were years where life did not allow much progress. I just figured the car didn't cost anything to keep it. In the big picture, what you get for the Mustang will not make much of a dent in the cost of a house.

The only reason I'd sell mine is to upgrade to another project.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way!! Life is to short. Once you sell it, something will happen or get in the way of getting/building another one. Everyone I know has talked about kicking themselves for letting some treasured car slip away. Yes! Big Mustangs are to be treasure in my book. Good luck with your hard decision. It's easy for me to say this. It's another thing to be in your position. It is harder to have lost, then not had at all.

I will only sell if it came down to saving a family member or good freinds life...My loved ones are worth more to me...Now if some one was stupid like papa murphy's comes up and pays me 300,000...Then i would sell..Take one of them 2 things to happen...but it would still hurt

And i agree...You're car would hardly make a dent in a house...I would lisin to your girlfreind...She will be the most bias out of the group...Cause im sure she wants in a house too...But sounds like she knows you like your car and i bet she does too...Car is paid for and rebuying it years later will hurt your pocket book even more....Why sell something you both enjoy? ..Would not be worth it too me...By my opinion....I would say if you was getting kicked out and was going to end up living in your car..Then maybe yes..lol

Someone would have to give me some big cash for it. Then I would go find a Boss 351.:cool:

I went threw the same thing when the wife and I where getting ready to buy a house.Every one telling me to sell the Mach1 and my sandrail sell sell. So I sold the wife's 91 GT.:D I must say that the Mach1 sat in my back yard for ten years before I started to restore it. I always looked at it this way sitting there it was fast cash if I needed it.

It would take cash. Lots and lots of cash. cash is never out of style and my wife says it matches all her shoes.

Hey guys. Sorry but I’m going to have to take a bit of a different view of this question. If selling your car can enable you to prosper in the future then I would have to say sell it. Time is fleeting and age has a nasty way of creeping up on you. If selling your Mustang makes financial sense either in a business opportunity to put it toward a larger down payment to create equity in a home purchase as the economy recovers then it may be time to sell.

I have had to sell some really special cars that I have put a lot of sweat and effort into, to make sure I never missed a child support payment or college tuition. Trust me, it broke my heart to see yet another car that I promised to never sell go down the road, but honestly, a car is still a car which ultimately can be replaced. Financial security in the future will enable you to replace that special car.

I can only speak from my experience as after my financial responsibilities were fulfilled I worked hard, saved money for a new home and ultimately purchased my Mustang that I improve as I can with out affecting my home finances.

And yeah sometimes I still debate the merits of selling my Mustang to aid in household finances but I fight that feeling tooth and nail because I do love my car, because of the sacrifices made along the way to finally get it, warts and all!

Again, sorry to be a wet blanket, but the question was asked.

Simple economics says....SELL THE CAR!!!...here is why...your car has very "little" chance at appreciation. The current housing market combined with record LOW interest rates is a perfect time to invest in a home, being a renter means....You are buying the apartment/home for the landlord. Buy the WORST home in the NICEST neighborhood, look for a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom in a neighborhood surrounded by 3 bedroom 2 bath homes....I INVESTED HEAVILY in Real Estate from an early age ( purchased my first home at 22)....NEVER bought a "Nice" car till 35 years old....I now live a Very Comfortable life at 56 years old ...Real Estate investments generating a "Nice" monthly income...& currently own "6" cars....91 Ferrari Testarossa, 73 Mach 1 CJ 4 speed Highly Optioned, 72 Detomaso Pantera, 72 Volvo P 1800E, 69 Jaguar XKE FHC, 59 Austin Healey BN6.....If I invested in a car instead of Real Estate....I would own an OLD car & being paying rent....I DOUBT ANYONE telling you to keep the car...Has a garage FULL of cars to Rival Mine!!!.....Mark

At this point it would have to be a lot of cash, a LOT of cash, or to save someone close to me. But it would be one of the last things to go. However, I have owned this car for 28 or so years so I am super attached to it.

When I was younger I might have considered selling it to help out with a down payment on a house. I know my father sold his 63 vette to make the down payment on a house. He regretted selling the vette but not as much when he sold the house for a huge profit.

Difficult question. I've owned my 73 convertible since 1974 and have come close to selling it several times over the years, but managed to hang onto it. After owning it for 39 years it feels like a part of me. But, I would sell it if the need was great to benefit the family. Now if someone offered me a new or almost new GT 500 in an even trade, I would probably take it.

Every once in a while someone in the family say's I should sell it, but my favorite reply is "I look just a good driving the 73 as anyone else would"

Life is not a linear progression. Most people think it's school-> job -> marriage -> house -> kids -> grandkids -> retirement, but in my opinion, that isn't living, it's existing. I have had houses come and go, went through a divorce, have great kids, a great fiancé, and one constant is that you never know what's happening next. You prepare and plan best you can but always adjusting on the way.

So, if it ever comes down to feeding or caring for the kids or the car, then SELL IT! But if it's a choice between ticking off a check box on the "life list" and enjoying what you already have, then keep it.

Finally, more of a general statement than anything else, home ownership can no longer be viewed as the "must have" investment. Ask anyone who lost half the value of their home and is underwater. I'm not in that situation, I've done fine, but just saying what USED to be the sure fire thing, isn't anymore.

Good luck

The bottom line is selling the car will only make a penny's worth of difference on a 30 year note. Houses in my area are cheap and there are 3 on every street for sale and I don't see many good mustangs for sale. So there is no point in selling everything you own to buy a house, unless your trying to pay it off in cash? but as stated earlier, interest rates are the lowest so IMO no need to sell your dream for another

True...But you do not have 20 or 30 years of memories wrapped up in a car...Some of us get attached to things...And sometimes they are worth more than money value ...And i mite not have that impressive of a house full of cars....But i got more than enough....1973 mach 1 q code highly optioned..1 of 1...1965 econoline 5 window truck spring special promo truck..only 2000 made....1963 very rare harley topper...Good luck finding one in good shape or at all.....1974 mach 1 4 speed....Working on a 1950 ford 2 door flat head right now.....Let alone my motor bikes and a house full of more toys than i can use...Live in my own home and never sold my high school car to get ahead...Never needed too.....I have sold and owned way more cars than i have now and im only 39...You can make money on cars same way you do homes...If you play it smart....We all walk a diffrent path.

..If the car does not mean much too him..Sure Sell...But if its your dream car...the happiness of having it around can make up for alot of things in life.

BTW He says he "owns" a apartment...Not sure if he is paying any kinda rent or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
With this particular car, an estate sale.

Based on housing prices in the area, I don't think the OP would fetch enough for a significant down payment. I bought a house last year, and I have had buyers remorse at times. I bought at the supposed bottom of the market, and my tax valuations are 40,000 under what I payed. I'm not complaining about lower taxes, but with what I've replaced in the house so far, and it still needs a roof, siding, painting, landscaping...

I think you'd regret selling the car more than waiting a few years while living frugally and saving money for a down payment.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I think the question might've been taken somewhat out of context - and not intended to become a financial advice thread or a rehash of the "coulda/woulda/shoulda's" of life.

People have different circumstances in their lives at different points based on choices they've made. Unfortunately, "one-size does not fit all," when it comes to 'what would you do' scenarios. For instance, had I bought my first house at 22, I would've been forclosed on when I was 23 and probably never dug out of the deep hole of bad credit that comes with it.

I'm glad everybody's doing well enough to have a '71-'73 Mustang in their lives. Just how big of a part of your life it is can depend a lot on your financial position, and can be affected by changes in the same - but there are a lot more factors involved than just whether or not it's a good time financially to own your Mustang... and quality of life is not always measured by net worth.

Bottom line: there are no right or wrong answers here... and I mean no offense to anyone in particular with my comments.

Back