Autoscope Drive inn Theaters

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1
Anyone remmeber them or even been to one? They use to have one close to me...Now a Walmart stands where it did.

60-inch screens, one for every car. The screens were arranged in a circle, the center of which contained the projection house.

The projector was made up of a “fly’s eye lens,” which was a cluster of small lenses. The film was beamed through the lens, then reflected off mirrors and through portholes in the building and onto the individual screens by rear projection.

I really wish some of them survived :( They was interesting....but im afraid regular drive inn's are about done too...Good times at many drive inn's for me.

There used to be one close to my house when I was a kid called tri city drive inn but I was not allowed to go cause it was X rated only and I was just 10. it was not in business long though

Interesting, I"ve never seen one of these drive-in's, but I've been to quite a few regular drive-in's back in the day! Mostly in my conversion van, but that's another story!

i have never seen one that is amazing.

The very last drive in movie theater i went to was in 1979 i saw superman on the big big screen :D

after 1979 every single drive in was basically razed in my area. my kids will never know about drive ins except in movie reruns before 1985.

i just checked there are actaully a few drive ins still operating in my state and they are about 2-300 miles away lol

I've never seen one like that, but I have been to a traditional drive in a few times! Not too far from where I last lived there was the "Sunset Drive-In" and for $8 you were able to see a double feature!

Ya i miss the drive inns we had...We had 3 of them...all went dark ..One still up but not in use...There are a few in my state still alive and have the itch to go in my old girl once i get her done.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were two drive ins in my city, one of them was at the city limits but like everything else times change the city grew around it and suddenly it was in the middle of a residential area, last movie I remember vaguely may have been a repeat. Showing of et and main feature of back to the future. The other drive in is alive and well and recently added two more screens and is sold out almost every weekend during the summer

We still have 1 drive inn theater up and running about 5 miles from me but i miss the old sound boxes you hang on the window. now you just tune your radio to pick up the sound...much better sound but I miss the nostalgia

Never seen this autoscope. Neat looking. But a drive inn, yes! We still have one open. Shows movies every other month. I remember having friends under blankets, while we sat on them. ( sneaking in as many free friends as we could). I was having way to much fun to even remember the last movie I went to see. I'm bad!

Oddly enough My #3 Son is going to a drive in tonight for the first time, But its not like the one that was originally posted about.

anyone remmeber the last movie they saw in a drive inn? Mine was...double feature... in the line of fire..clint eastwood....And last action hero...lol
Mine was in Scottsdale, Arizona in the 80's, the movie Alien. Pretty creepy on the big screen. When I grew up in Dallas, Texas, (early 80's), we had a Drive-Inn called The Gemini. They had dollar night on Mondays. My whole high school hung out and drank beer (drinking age was 18 then). Nobody watched the movie. The parking lot was filled with Mustangs and Camaro's. I had a 1970 Mustang (wish I still had it) We were more interested in meeting girls than watching the movie. Once we got busted for trying to sneak in by hiding in the back of my friends conversion van!

We still have 1 drive inn theater up and running about 5 miles from me but i miss the old sound boxes you hang on the window. now you just tune your radio to pick up the sound...much better sound but I miss the nostalgia
Where do you live? I am near Hot Springs Village between Hot Springs and Benton.

We have a drive-in about 20 miles from our house, our Mustang club has been talking about having a cruise in to the drive-in, concern is some of the late model Mustangs are pretty low for the humps.

we only have a regular drive in with 3 screens.

yesterday they had Classic car night. with the Move "Grease"
Now that looks like fun...I kinda wish they would bring back the old speaker boxes "with newer speakers" so when you want to save your battery power hehe

Never seen one of the circular drive ins before, but we used to go in the 80's as a good place to double date and have some drinks. The drinking age in Iowa was 19 and I was old enough to buy, my buddy and our dates were only 18-- so they needed me. ;-) The last one I remember seeing was the Batman movie that came out in the late 80's. I also remember going with my family once in the 70's and once on a trip with just my Dad during the 70's--dad fell asleep and I stayed up until about 3am watching movies somewhere in western Nebraska. I think I was about 10 years old, maybe 11 then. Good times.

Back