Steering Column

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwm9ersfan

Reaction score
My Car
No car yet, on the hunt
I have been out looking for a 7173 mustang to buy and have driven a couple of them. I have noticed that the steering wheel is really low and makes it hard for me to get in and out and if it is a 4 speed car it is hard to shift. Are there aftermarket tilt columns out there? Suggestions?

There are aftermarket tilt columns available for classic mustangs, I was just reading about them in "Mustang Monthly" they're one of the most popular modifications out there. Unfortunately I'm at work and I don't have the article in front of me, but I do know that there was a factory option for tilt. Hopefully someone else can chime in and be a bit more helpful than me!

Tilt columns were available on the 71-3s but were relatively rare do to the cost. Complete original units come up pretty regularly on ebay and some are there now. Not familiar with after market units.

Jeff

As with many/most aftermarket items, columns stop at 1970. Ididit, Flaming River, et al, have not produced 'new' aftermarket columns for our model years.

I was tempted to pick one up from one of those vendors to somehow 'make' it fit, but it was cost-prohibitive to simply experiment and hope for the best.

Beware of the ebay columns - I recently picked one up from a reseller, and one of the major 'tilt' components was literally sheered off inside (non-functional, but advertised as 'good'). My car's tilt column was worn out and locked into one position. I basically had to make a good column out of the two 'bad' columns I had (which fortunately for me, both columns had completely separate and unrelated issues).

Your best bet is to check with Don @ OMS - he should be able to help you find you a suitable replacement tilt column.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mister 4X4 is right on the money. Aftermarket isn't doing them for us (yet) and buying one without inspecting it carefully is risky.

Back