what do you think?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
I am planning on painting the mustang soon and am toying with some different ideas. One is that chrome is bad, so to get an idea of what it would look like to have some of the trim blackened out, I bought some black plastidip and sprayed the bumpers, tail lights, tail panel trim, and front fender extensions and hood trim. This stuff is great because it peels right off like vinyl after dry if you dont like it. So what do you think?

My first intuition is that I will integrate the fender extensions and hood trim by either welding them or using filler to make it all look as one piece, then paint it with the body color. Maybe black chrome the bumpers, get the tail lights from Obsidian, and delete the tail panel trim and maybe cut the fuel tank filler neck and have it filled inside the trunk for a smooth look. I will be removing the vinyl top and that trim will be deleted, the the rail panels and exterior window trims will get painted black. Still all up in the air.

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the overall look, not a big fan of plastidip personally but I really feel the overall style you have going on. I also really like the idea of black chroming the bumpers, that's just not something I see a lot of out there and I like unique flairs like that

I like the blacked out look but then again it depends on the color the car's gonna be painted in.

As for the extensions, I'd paint them the same color as the body, just like the Boss 351 had them. I did it on mine and I like it.For the extensions it's either chrome or body color.

I don't really like the look of black extensions on a non black car.

Blacking out the grille is a nice move. If you check older pics of my car, you will see that it had the standard grille all painted black. That looked cool.

I removed all the trim on the taillight panel and had it painted black, including the taillight moldings. Makes it look pretty clean. Some friends have complained though that in their opinion it's too much black. Oh well, you can't please everyone.

Here are two pics from the old grille and the taillight panel, so you get an idea.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I love the blacked out monotone look. Welding the extensions won't work (pot metal as mentioned) and filling them will crack. The only way to make them one price is to make new ones out of sheet metal and weld that...pain in the a$$. Paint them whatever color the body will be in my opinion and make sure they line up really well and you will barely notice they're a separate piece. Love the taillight idea too ;)

Keep us posted on the final decision :)

I like the blacked out look but then again it depends on the color the car's gonna be painted in.

As for the extensions, I'd paint them the same color as the body, just like the Boss 351 had them. I did it on mine and I like it.For the extensions it's either chrome or body color.

I don't really like the look of black extensions on a non black car.

Blacking out the grille is a nice move. If you check older pics of my car, you will see that it had the standard grille all painted black. That looked cool.

I removed all the trim on the taillight panel and had it painted black, including the taillight moldings. Makes it look pretty clean. Some friends have complained though that in their opinion it's too much black. Oh well, you can't please everyone.

Here are two pics from the old grille and the taillight panel, so you get an idea.

attachment.php

attachment.php
I like the blacked out grille, its pretty nasty looking! I am not sure what I am doing for grille yet, would like to have one custom fabbed to include 2 center mounted headlights as well as the factory ones, kinda gt500 ish.

SO my overall body color will be a carbon black metallic with gloss black on the hood and a modified mach 1 stripe down the side (will post pics of my ideas after I draw them up). Fender extensions and hood trim will be body color, bumpers and front and rear window trim will be black chrome (if I can find someone with big enough tanks for the bumpers). I will have a smaller version of the factory front spoiler lip fabricated and mounted permanently (the idea is to make it look like it is part of the front valance piece). I am working on a custom rear spoiler that will take the shape of a 2007-2009 GT500 (low with a nice rearward angle on it). If I don't like it I will scrap the idea (will use heavy cardstock to mock one up first). I will have a custom front grille fabricated, it will keep the flow of a factory standard grille, but the midsection will be enlarged and have an aggressive angle to the backing of it and have 2 center mounted headlamps like a 68 GT500. I would love to change the angle of my rear "wings" coming off of the roofline on either side of the rear window to give it more of a mach 1 look (think Pegasus project, but not as extreme) from the side, but for what I want to do it would be stupid expensive in SoCal. I will have a custom CNC machined rear tail panel piece with a hexagonal shaped flip gas cap. The hexagon will be the shape I use for a lot of the interior trim that I would like to have machined, but we will see what cost is. I figured I am keeping this car forever, so why not spend all my money on it.....right?

There is a matt black lamborghini in my neighborhood. I am told the factory paint is a brutally expensive option. Looks kinda dumb on an italian car worth $200k. But on our cars it looks like the Mad Mad Aussie Falcon! Would need to have matching grill bumpers trim so it doesnt look like primer IMO, but pretty cool.

nothing wrong with an all blacked out car...

Nope, but in this case the extensions are the same color as the body, which is good. :)

SO my overall body color will be a carbon black metallic with gloss black on the hood and a modified mach 1 stripe down the side (will post pics of my ideas after I draw them up). Fender extensions and hood trim will be body color, bumpers and front and rear window trim will be black chrome (if I can find someone with big enough tanks for the bumpers). I will have a smaller version of the factory front spoiler lip fabricated and mounted permanently (the idea is to make it look like it is part of the front valance piece). I am working on a custom rear spoiler that will take the shape of a 2007-2009 GT500 (low with a nice rearward angle on it). If I don't like it I will scrap the idea (will use heavy cardstock to mock one up first). I will have a custom front grille fabricated, it will keep the flow of a factory standard grille, but the midsection will be enlarged and have an aggressive angle to the backing of it and have 2 center mounted headlamps like a 68 GT500. I would love to change the angle of my rear "wings" coming off of the roofline on either side of the rear window to give it more of a mach 1 look (think Pegasus project, but not as extreme) from the side, but for what I want to do it would be stupid expensive in SoCal. I will have a custom CNC machined rear tail panel piece with a hexagonal shaped flip gas cap. The hexagon will be the shape I use for a lot of the interior trim that I would like to have machined, but we will see what cost is. I figured I am keeping this car forever, so why not spend all my money on it.....right?
Well, you seem to have a plan.... If you pull all that off, that is gonna be a pretty cool car. I am definitely looking forward to the result!

we may have to stay tuned to this project for a while! I still need to find a fab guy that can do the work I want for a fair price. Some of the parts for trim and interior will need to be prototyped and built by private vendors!

Back