• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1971 Map Light Wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDK

Reaction score
My Car
1971 MACH 1
Looking to buy the wiring connector that connects the map light to the RH door ajar switch. If anyone has this, please PM me with price.

BDK

I made my own, I uses a trailer wire harmess, the connector is the same just one extra wire.

one wire went to the Door swtich, one wire ground, and the other 12v constant.

I have a picture at home, I can post later on how I routed the wiring.

I made my own, I uses a trailer wire harmess, the connector is the same just one extra wire.

one wire went to the Door swtich, one wire ground, and the other 12v constant.

I have a picture at home, I can post later on how I routed the wiring.
Sounds like a good idea Iyman....shoot me some pics when you have the chance. Never thought about that route and it would be quite easy...

BDK

here is the picture, its the only one I could find.

on the trailer connector:

1, White = Ground

2, Brown = Switched from Door

3, Yellow= 12v continuous (fuse panel)

4, Green = Not used.

20130427_131720.jpg

here is the picture, its the only one I could find.

on the trailer connector:

1, White = Ground

2, Brown = Switched from Door

3, Yellow= 12v continuous (fuse panel)

4, Green = Not used.
Thanks Iyman, do you have a pic of the other end? where it plugs into the door jamb switch?

BDK

drivers side door switch.

light green/yellow is 12v switched power

black/light blue is 12v constant power

I cut the wire around the door switch area, and soldered it back together, and used heat shrink to seal it up, it looks like something the factory would have done.

I don't have any pictures of that part, just some hand written notes.

Last edited by a moderator:
drivers side door switch.

light green/yellow is 12v switched power

black/light blue is 12v constant power

I cut the wire around the door switch area, and soldered it back together, and used heat shrink to seal it up, it looks like something the factory would have done.

I don't have any pictures of that part, just some hand written notes.
Perfect, thanks for the description Iyman. This helps quite a bit!!

BDK

Looking to buy the wiring connector that connects the map light to the RH door ajar switch. If anyone has this, please PM me with price.

BDK
I've got one. Only one I have ever seen. And it does a lot more than just that. Runs from the driver side door switch to the map light to the relays above the dash and then down to the passenger side door switch. Im know because it took me about two hours to remove it without cutting or breaking.

And best of all, I'll sell it PM me with an offer. LOL

It's in great shape, not even brittle.

2z50hhw.jpg

2lsworb.jpg

ixgux0.jpg

xd9i10.jpg

6oj3bd.jpg

Yes it does, the door switch also works with the light on Buzzer, and the seat interlock relay, and its also part of the Glove box wiring harness.

if you download the wiring diagram you can see that. http://www.7173mustangs.com/misc.php?page=diagrams

But if you are just adding the map light to a car without one, then you can do what I described above.

the map light is more common than you might think. it was part of the convenience package, which included the Trunk light, under hood light, and Glove box light.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you send just the wiring harness to me, I can duplicate it and sell it for a very reasonable price to y'all. I'll even return the wiring.

I made one out of thin air for a client, not knowing the exact length of wiring. I never heard back from him, so I presume it worked...

If you send just the wiring harness to me, I can duplicate it and sell it for a very reasonable price to y'all. I'll even return the wiring.

I made one out of thin air for a client, not knowing the exact length of wiring. I never heard back from him, so I presume it worked...
That would be cool if you can get that harness and duplicate it.

it would be very helpful !!

Back